3 short Summit questions

TopofWorld

Hi to all,

we are booked on a cruise to Bermuda on July 27th, and was wondering whether someone can help me out with these questions:

1. Is there self-service laundry (laundromat) aboard the Summit?

2. Does the Summit have specialty coffee vouchers!? (proper name???). Aboard the Princess during the Fjiord cruise we purchased for 35 USD a card for 15 coffees and with each purchased coffe they punched the card for us. It was great in the morning to have good coffee with breakfast.

3. Can anyone post the links for the Cooking Events with the TV Chefs? What are the various events, and how do I book them? The Celebrity website does not have this info (at least I failed to find it).

Thank you all

Hi to all,

we are booked on a cruise to Bermuda on July 27th, and was wondering whether someone can help me out with these questions:

2. Does the Summit have specialty coffee vouchers!? (proper name???). Aboard the Princess during the Fjiord cruise we purchased for 35 USD a card for 15 coffees and with each purchased coffe they punched the card for us. It was great in the morning to have good coffee with breakfast.

3. Can anyone post the links for the Cooking Events with the TV Chefs? What are the various events, and how do I book them? The Celebrity website does not have this info (at least I failed to find it).

Thank you all

1. There is no self serve laundry on Celebrity.

2. Celebrity offers drink packages for purchase - some of which include the specialty coffees, but no vouchers. Here's a link to the drink packages:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/onboard-beverage-packages?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages_overview

3. These are the Top Chef cruises and I thought these were private events that not everyone was invited to? I can't see them being open to all 2,000+ people. Did you book through a group or directly with Celebrity?

Edited by CruisingChick

Hi to all,

Thank you all

I can answer two of three....

#1. There are no self service laundry facility. You can send out items for laundry, pressing, or dry cleaning and their prices are not terrible/.

#2. There are no coffee cards......there are non alcoholic drink packages, which would include the fancy coffees, but there are not coffee cards like on Princess.

Honestly, I am starting to get a little worried about this Cruise. So far, the negative answers to the coffee cards and self-service laundry really dissapointed me. However, tried to keep a positive spirit and went to the link provided to check the non-alcoholic packages but...... the soda link sends me to a completely irrelevant page, and the water package link gives me a Not Found Error. Nice..... Travelled with RCCL and Princess so far, and this is the 1st time I am truly worried about the upcoming cruise quality. Strike 2 for Celebrity.

the website is completely messed up right now and Celebrity tells us that they are working on it. Come back to Cruise Critic when you have questions -- most of us can help fill in the gaps when the website fails you. We cruise Celebrity because the on-board experience is so good, and try to overlook the IT problems, ever hopeful that they will fix them as promised.

I haven't been on any Top Chef cruises, but I did two of the Bon Appetit cruises when they were offered. The activities were not published ahead of time, and then we didn't even know who the chef would be until we boarded. The cruises were a lot of fun, and I was sorry that the partnership was not renewed.

TopofWorld, while you're waiting for the website to behave itself, I can give you a bit more of an in depth of the packages.

If you're only interested in coffee and/or nonalcoholic drinks, you should focus on either the Classic or the Premium Non-Alcoholic Packages.

The classic package includes all the regular and diet soda products(Celebrity uses Coca-Cola products), water(non premium like Dasani or another type), juices(fresh squeezed and bottled) and coffee and teas.

The premium package also includes all the regular and diet sodas, and the juices like the classic, but you'll also be able to have premium water products like Evian and San Pellegrino, smoothies, non alcoholic frozen drinks, energy drinks, and Vitamin Water products. This also includes specialty coffee and tea(but nothing with alcohol added, as that falls under one of the alcohol packages).

There is no limit on how much you can have per day, and the same card you use as your ID and key card is also your drink package "card"(you just hand it to the server, your package information will be on the card, they swipe it to record your order, nothing to sign!). You can buy a drink package up to four days before you sail, or you can buy it on board at any bar. I hope this helps you some.

cruisestitch is correct when he says that many of us sail Celebrity for the ships and the website and onboard service experience are usually night and day. For all the glitches and mishaps online, the ship experience is wonderful. Any questions you have, the answers(usually a lot more accurate)will most likely be found here at Cruise Critic. I'm sorry that Celebrity doesn't have self serve laundry facilities(it never has), and I hope you continue to keep an open mind about your upcoming cruise.

We just came back from the Summit June 15 sailing to Bermuda. I thought it was terrific. The new buffet concept with all the individual servings was awesome. So any great creative choices. Most of the staff was terrific. We tend to find our favorites- bartenders, cocktail watier, dining room staff- and kind of stick with them and get to know them. They treated us like royalty. I think the couple of things you are worried about are maybe, just in my opinion, the the most minor things. Think about the great stuff!!!

PS- I have been on like 30 cruises, and gosh, I don't believe I have ever done laundry on a ship. Really don't want to do that on vacation- so I haul home a load of dirty clothes, LOL

Honestly, I am starting to get a little worried about this Cruise. So far, the negative answers to the coffee cards and self-service laundry really dissapointed me. However, tried to keep a positive spirit and went to the link provided to check the non-alcoholic packages but...... the soda link sends me to a completely irrelevant page, and the water package link gives me a Not Found Error. Nice..... Travelled with RCCL and Princess so far, and this is the 1st time I am truly worried about the upcoming cruise quality. Strike 2 for Celebrity.
I would cancel if I were you. Why worry?

Thank you all

Hello there,

Wanted to help answer some of your questions.

2. We don't currently offer coffee vouchers, but we do offer several packages including Classic non-alcoholic and/or Classic package, which includes unlimited coffee.

3. Here are the activities for the Celebrity Summit on 7/27:

• Meet & Greet with the Chef'testants - complimentary

• Two different Top Chef cooking demos - complimentary

• Two different Quickfire Challenges - complimentary

• Top Chef at Sea Night in the Main Dining Room - complimentary

• Three different Private Cooking Classes (one with each Chef'testant) -- $150/guest per class

• Three different Private Dinners (one with each Chef'testant) -- $195/guest per dinner

The only activities that you can sign-up for in advance (due to limited supply), are the Private Cooking Classes and Private Dinners. They can be booked the same way that you'd book shore excursions on-line pre-cruise.

Once you log-in with your booking information, filter the shore excursions by "Interest" so that you only see "Culinary" excursions. The six excursions that display are all for Top Chef at Sea. Please note that the times that show on-line for the dinners and classes are not finalized, and will be communicated once onboard. None of the classes or dinners overlap, so guests can enjoy all dinners and classes if they choose!

To those truly awsome and kind fellow cruisers who took their time to help ease my worries: a big big thank you. To those wondering about the laundry, my bad since I should have explained that we will be on an almost a month-long vacation (1 week UK, 10 days NY, 1 week cruise) and the ladies of the family (3 in total) find it quite difficult to pack in a single suitcase all the clothes they will need. So yes, self-service laundry will be a necessity in both UK and NY - hence the question also for the Summit. As far as the drink package alcohol is off limits for me, thus all I am left with is specialty coffees and non-alcoholic beverages - hence the question. As to the worrying part, I booked this whole trip (tickets, hotels, cruise, shows, restaurants) all through the Internet, and for the life of me I can not accept that a company considered as upscale in cruising can not manage a website - the natural question for a first timer on Celebrity is: if they can not manage a website, how do you expect them to handle a ship? I guess I will find out :)

Hello there,

2. We don't currently offer coffee vouchers, but we do offer several packages including Classic non-alcoholic and/or Classic package, which includes unlimited coffee.

• Three different Private Cooking Classes (one with each Chef'testant) -- $150/guest per class

• Three different Private Dinners (one with each Chef'testant) -- $195/guest per dinner

The only activities that you can sign-up for in advance (due to limited supply), are the Private Cooking Classes and Private Dinners. They can be booked the same way that you'd book shore excursions on-line pre-cruise.

Once you log-in with your booking information, filter the shore excursions by "Interest" so that you only see "Culinary" excursions. The six excursions that display are all for Top Chef at Sea. Please note that the times that show on-line for the dinners and classes are not finalized, and will be communicated once onboard. None of the classes or dinners overlap, so guests can enjoy all dinners and classes if they choose!

Dear Celebrity,

thank you for taking the time to intervene and answer my questions. I hope that the website is fixed soon , so I can sign up for the package that will suit my needs. Again, looking forward to cruising with you.

Dear fellow CC members: thank you.

Dear Celebrity,

thank you for taking the time to intervene and answer my questions. I hope that the website is fixed soon , so I can sign up for the package that will suit my needs. Again, looking forward to cruising with you.

Dear fellow CC members: thank you.

If you are unable to sign up via the website prior to your cruise, you can purchase the package once onboard the ship. There are various tables set up for you to do so.

Cafe Al Bacio is the coffee house onboard and it was wonderful (June 1st Bermuda sailing).

month-long vacation (1 week UK, 10 days NY, 1 week cruise) and the ladies of the family (3 in total) find it quite difficult to pack in a single suitcase all the clothes they will need. So yes, self-service laundry will be a necessity in both UK and NY

Single suitcases are hard especially for us ladies. If you do your laundry in NY right before you board the ship, you should be set for the week, no?

the natural question for a first timer on Celebrity is: if they can not manage a website, how do you expect them to handle a ship? I guess I will find out :)

As bad as their web-site is, their on-board service on their ships is terrific. We sailed Summit May 25-June 1 and had terrific service from everyone on

board. It was great.

Little jealous you are going on a Top Chef cruise as that is one of my favorite TV shows, I have watched every episode of every season.

Have a great time.

Not sure when you want to do laundry....or how much time you'll have, or the specifics of your trip...

BUT there IS a LARGE laundromat in the shopping center adjacent to the pier...problem is, getting there. A cab would charge around $8 each way for the 2.5 mile trip....

And, just toured Summit again yesterday...gorgeous....couldn't find a spot to hide;)

And as a side note, there was no traffic though that may change, seems as there will be additional construction on one of the roads leading in...there IS some steel up for the new pier....

And guests started boarding at...... drumroll.... 10:30!! Seems the cabins ready announcement was made around 1:15-1:30 or so, maybe a bit earlier..

I'm going on this cruise when OP gets back. I plan on bringing two polo shirts, two quick-dry shirts, two t-shirts, 1 pair of jeans, one pair of quick-dry pants, 1 pair of cargo shorts, 2 bathing suits. Other things I'm packing to wear only once. If I'm worried about anything getting too dirty to wear, I can wash clothes in the sink or shower. I'm not bringing formalwear.

There are a lot of negative feelings toward the Summit. They seem nitpicky.

You can cold brew coffee in your room fairly easily.

We are on the same cruise - stop over and join our roll call! We have a small but great group over there.

You CAN sign up for the Top Chef cooking class and dinner now. I know because I have signed up for both. The thing to know is the dates/times are not yet confirmed. The website lists them at weird times (like 11 pm). They say you will get actual times onboard.

To sign up, go to Celebrity's website and log in to your cruise. The links recently change, but I think it is now under "PreCruise Planner". Choose Hamilton Bermuda and Culinary and the 6 available events will appear. 3 cooking classes and 3 private dinners, one with each cheftestant.

The coffee at Café al Bacio is amazing. Well worth it, whether you have a beverage package or not. If you don't, consider getting the non-alcoholic package just for the coffee. Well worth it.

Hi to all,

Thank you all

Here is a link to the prices for laundry services, they are probably better than anything in the NY/NJ area. Just one more caveat, irons and steamers are prohibited on Celebrity ships.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#2

Edited by dkjretired

Travelled with RCCL and Princess so far, and this is the 1st time I am truly worried about the upcoming cruise quality. Strike 2 for Celebrity.

I can adress this one. We were on the Ruby Nov 2012 ( our 1st Princess was in 1992 ) and we still have punches left on our coffee card.

The 'quality' of everything else involved with the cruise was no where near the quality of a Celebrity sailing.

Our 1st sailing on RCCL was in 1990, last was the Freedom in 2011. Good cruise but again, not on the 'quality' level of Celebrity.

If no self serve laundry or coffee card are your quality items, maybe you should re-think sailing with Celebrity. For us, thoes items are way down the list as to why we book one line over the other.

Hello there,

To "Official Celebrity Cruises"

Please note that 2 activities still do conflict with each other. Specifically, the cooking class with Spike Mendehlson and the Dinner with Angelo Sosa. I know, because these were my top choices. I've called and spoken to someone at Celebrity 3 separate times to report this, to no avail. At first, all of the activities conflicted and while they did fix some, they did not fix all. I finally gave up and changed my choices.

Please note that 2 activities still do conflict with each other. Specifically, the cooking class with Spike Mendehlson and the Dinner with Angelo Sosa. I know, because these were my top choices. I've called and spoken to someone at Celebrity 3 separate times to report this, to no avail. At first, all of the activities conflicted and while they did fix some, they did not fix all. I finally gave up and changed my choices.

Thank you.

We're looking into this.

Hello,

Just wanted to let everyone know that this has been fixed. The times have been adjusted so that no events overlap. Thanks!