Southampton check in question

Ally be

Hi ...

Just a quick question, has anyone ever been put on the naughty step at Southampton check in for having more than 20kgs (as per P&O guidlines) in one suitcase? I appreciate the h&s element, I am just curious to how strict they are in reality.

The reason I ask, I am travelling solo via train to Southampton and I really do not want to carry 2 items of luggage. Would I be a very naughty girl if I were a couple of kilos over :confused:

Kind regards to all

A x

There shouldn't be a problem if you are only going to be up to say 23kg. We recently took 4 cases on a long cruise and when I told the steward the reason for so many was the 20kg restriction, he said no one worries about it. Just be sensible and don't make cases unreasonably heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the guidance is for health and safety as you say.

I did once have to go searching for a case and found it near the lifts with others which were all labelled 'heavy case'. Nothing was said however.

Since then we have used an extra case if necessary.

I heard that P&O were introducing a new tip balance device on their conveyor belts. Any case over 20kg would automatically be tipped into a skip and would not be loaded onto the ship. Apparently it's to do with H&S legislation and because of the number of slightly built female cabin stewards employed these days, after all you can't expect a woman to lift heavy cases can you or for that matter a man under equality and manual handling legislation. Disgruntled passengers can recover their overweight cases from the skip and carry them onboard themselves if they so wish. :)

Edited by AchileLauro

I heard that P&O were introducing a new tip balance device on their conveyor belts. Any case over 20kg would automatically be tipped into a skip and would not be loaded onto the ship. Apparently it's to do with H&S legislation and because of the number of slightly built female cabin stewards employed these days, after all you can't expect a woman to lift heavy cases can you or for that matter a man under equality and manual handling legislation. Disgruntled passengers can recover their overweight cases from the skip and carry them onboard themselves if they so wish. :)

Where did you hear that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read it on a forum yesterday - oh, that's right, it was on here :) :)

I saw it as well. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

People ask a serious question, and expect a serious answer.

OK the serious answer is that if there is a limit of 20kg you should stick to it.

It is fine saying they do not weigh cases as some have done, but how do you know have they been behind the wall with the hole in. I do not know but I suspect that they have the ability to weigh them but do not on a regular basis. The staff will soon pick up on a heavy case and have it weighed.

My point is if people are giving advise then it should be accurate remembering that the 20kg limit is fairly new and if someone has not been on a cruise for a year then things have changed.

I would hate for someone to get advise from here and act on it only to fall foul and be embarrassed when they go on their cruise. Not what you want on your first day.

So that was the serious point. However I still like the belt and trapdoor.

Silver service I apologise if you didn't see the joke but I was trying to make the very point that DaiB picked up on but in a roundabout way.

It can't be any fun lugging around 20kg suitcases all day after all that is 44Lb in old money. If the company has told you that 20kg is the limit they don't mean you can put another 3 kg inside, they really do mean 20kg. Though they have obviously been allowing some slight leeway for many years. If you think about it they all have (and we have too for that matter) a responsibility to protect their employees from injury. Surely it's much better to have a number of smaller more manageable cases than one enormous one.

Have you never wondered why bags of cement are now sold in 25kg bags rather than the old 1cwt bags they were always sold in. The answer is manual handling regulations and equal opportunities.

They would be well within their rights after all to not handle over weight cases, and the scenario that I jokingly suggested would be quite feasible.

Edited by AchileLauro

Hi ...

Just a quick question, has anyone ever been put on the naughty step at Southampton check in for having more than 20kgs (as per P&O guidlines) in one suitcase? I appreciate the h&s element, I am just curious to how strict they are in reality.

The reason I ask, I am travelling solo via train to Southampton and I really do not want to carry 2 items of luggage. Would I be a very naughty girl if I were a couple of kilos over :confused:

Kind regards to all

A x

HI I can understand your problem , as you are travelling on your own by train,but as has been suggested best to stick to the 20kg. Could you not look for 2 smaller cases, that sort of piggy bag off each other

I have seen what I am thinking of, probably on Amazon. If not the luggage I am sure you can purchase straps that allow you to piggy back.

I sometimes travel by train on my own and usually if I am stood there bemused ,someone offers to help.

Giving it further though what would happen if a porter or baggage handler should pick up a grossly over weight bag and as a result injure themselves?

Is it possible that they could pursue a claim against the individual who packed the bag, especially if that individual had been already informed and agreed via the terms and conditions of travel of a weight limit. Their trade union lawyers or "no win no fee" personal injury lawyer would be all over the case in a flash.

Your travel insurer would opt out saying that you failed to comply with the terms and conditions of travel and you would be praying that your public liability element of your household insurance would cover it. Some hope there. In any case you would be in a very sticky position for a long time.

I thought the luggage allowance for Southampton cruises was 23kg and fly cruise was 20kg! If that's the case I have been over weight every time I have been on a cruise as I always have 22 - 23 Kg in all my cases !!!!!!

So either the allowance has changed recently or they definitely don't check!

I think I better go and look it up.

Sue

Just Checked and it is 20kg, so I guess they don't worry as long as its not way overweight!

Edited by Suebiker

I thought the luggage allowance for Southampton cruises was 23kg and fly cruise was 20kg! If that's the case I have been over weight every time I have been on a cruise as I always have 22 - 23 Kg in all my cases !!!!!!

Sue

Just Checked and it is 20kg, so I guess they don't worry as long as its not way overweight!

Interesting comments. In recent years I have usually taken a P&O fly cruise to the Caribbean. The luggage limit on the flight has been one bag max 23kg, the P&O limit per bag 23kg also. Last year however, whilst the airline limit remained at 23kg, p&Os limit per bag had gone down to 20kg. My bag weighed in at somewhere in between. Have fly cruise limits now been reduced? If so something will have to be left out next Jan, with the "monkey suit" being the prime candidate :)

The 20 kilo is for cruises from Southampton, 23 kilo fly cruises, but it is not very clear when you read the luggage weight limits in the cruise info, I thought they had dropped the limit on fly cruises when I first read the information.

Molly

Sue

Sue it has been 20kg for under a year.

Also you lose 50 Loyalty points per Kilo over.:D:D:D:D