Help with our first Alaskan Cruise

mdj101

Hi All,

I'm considering an Alaska Cruise in August next year. Either from Seatle or Washington as we would like to spend time at both of these as well.

We've only cruised on RCI before. Once on Oasis and our next on Indi in August.

I will be travelling with my Wife, Daughter (who will be 2 1/1) and Mother in Law.

May be my parents as well. Not sure yet.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

people will argue that such and such is best but from my research, the majority of people say traveling 1-way Vancouver, BC-Seward is the best itinerary. most people also say Glacier Bay is a don't miss, although plenty of people go on itineraries w/o it. truly you can't go wrong here. I've never read a trip report where the writer was not thrilled with the trip - regardless of ship or itinerary. My AK trip is in August and am so excited - lots of fun things to do/see and there is TONS of info here on CC so your research will be rewarded.

Since you have a year, I would suggest you do some research .... learn about the various itineraries and learn about the 7-8 ports and the sights/activities available at each one. And if you have specific priorities, like bear viewing or fishing, you need to learn about the peak viewing times are the various locations. Look at port times .... will you be in port long enough to enjoy planed activities?

There are a few books specific to Alaska cruises; Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call. The books discuss itineraries, ports, excursions, activities, places of interest. Borrow from your library or buy.

Trip reports are also a great resource. Most are detailed and provide info on activitieis, vendors, hotels and photos. Look at the STICKYs above for 2013 and 2014 reports. For the 2013 go to reply #45 where they are sorted by cruiseline.

Edited by mapleleaves

I just got back from RC Seward to Vancouver and loved it. I have friends that did Carnival, Seattle roundtrip and loved it. There are people that would only do Princess. To each his own. Pick one and stick with it and don't let anyone change your mind.

I did enjoy doing a one way trip, though. Did a week in Alaska prior and a couple of days in Vancouver afterwards. My pre-planning and trip report are both in my signature!

Good luck. Planning took over my life for a year, but it was all worth it in the end!

Hi All,

I'm considering an Alaska Cruise in August next year. Either from Seatle or Washington as we would like to spend time at both of these as well.

We've only cruised on RCI before. Once on Oasis and our next on Indi in August.

I will be travelling with my Wife, Daughter (who will be 2 1/1) and Mother in Law.

May be my parents as well. Not sure yet.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I concur with the previous suggestions, however, I believe you'll find Seattle and Washington in this case to be one and the same (unless you are considering the Alaska Marine Highway). All mainstream cruise lines departing from Washington depart from Seattle.

We did the round trip from Seattle in 2012, and enjoyed it very much. The one-ways get you farther north and to different areas, but if you're on the budget you have to consider the one way transportation cost from each location. Seattle is a cool town in itself, and we enjoyed a two night stay prior to our cruise and explored the water front area.

Now, if you're someone who can plan trips late and be a little flexible with dates, and don't much care where your stateroom is on the ship, you can usually find some great last minute deals on these trips a month or two prior to departure.

You might also note that Princess does Alaska trips from San Francisco as well; itinerary-wise they hit the same ports as the 7-days out of Seattle, but they're 10-day trips, giving you more sea days on the ship as you cruise from SF to Alaska. We're doing this one next month; although the trip costs more, we're closer to the port so we don't have to fly in.

For clarification- there are only 6 possible ports available with 7 day Alaska cruises. Being you state- "Seattle and Washington" That would involve a round trip Seattle, unless the off peak beginning or end cruises. I too, strongly suggest you head to your library as mentioned, and find out about the "differences" that you aren't aware of. Determine, what you want out of this trip? What activities you want to occupy your time, in my opinion, you get only half a trip without them.

Find out about EACH port and what touring is available. Unlike the Caribbean, each port is very worthwhile and very different from the others. Same with the glacier selection.

Once you have determined the above, the cruise choice will be greatly narrowed down and easier to select.

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Jewel. Alaska was beautiful and we had excellent excursions but the ship and its crew were awful. The crew were not friendly and the ships food wasnt that great. The buffet area was always jam packed with people trying to find a place to sit and they didnt clear the tables very fast. And the food was always cold and tasteless. Stay clear from Norwegian.

I had a friend tell me the same thing about Norwegian.

I have had real good success with both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Both of them do one way trips between Vancouver and Seward. Seeing the Kenai Peninsula and taking a Kenai fjords national park tour out of Seward for at least 6 hours is a must in an Alaska trip. A definite highlight of the trip.

For your first trip and if you really want to SEE Alaska do not pick round trip Seattle. You don't see enough of Alaska. It will barely give you a taste. But, then again if you are planning on going back that would work for you.

I had a friend tell me the same thing about Norwegian.

I have had real good success with both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Both of them do one way trips between Vancouver and Seward. Seeing the Kenai Peninsula and taking a Kenai fjords national park tour out of Seward for at least 6 hours is a must in an Alaska trip. A definite highlight of the trip.

For your first trip and if you really want to SEE Alaska do not pick round trip Seattle. You don't see enough of Alaska. It will barely give you a taste. But, then again if you are planning on going back that would work for you.

My first Alaska cruise was round trip from Seattle, my second was a northbound. I enjoyed both tremendously and would be hard pressed to pick one over the other. FWIW, this year is a southbound. Different strokes.

I meant if this was probably going to be "a first and only time" to Alaska then I don't think round trip Seattle would be showing you enough of Alaska. There is only a few ports in southeastern Alaska.

I agree a person would enjoy all of the cruises. Just saying if the really want to "SEE" Alaska that I don't think you "SEE" enough of it in a round trip Seattle cruise.

If depends what they want out of their trip. Of course, it is all a personal decision.

We were on the ncl jewel first of June. We found it great. Our food was never cold nor tasteless. Being from Texas we like spicey, and missed fresh salsa. The buffet tables were full but there is always many other places to eat, you are not forced to only eat there. There was tons to do on the ship while at sea, however we mostly chose a window seat somewhere and watched the scenery and for whales.

Edited by 2red4u

Everyone has their own opinions on how to see and experience Alaska. My own, do the round trip from Seattle. it is the easiest way to fly into and you will still get to see how great Alaska is. Then, maybe you wish to go back, try the one way trip and delve further up north.

Whichever you choice, it is simple breath taking, you will love it.

Cheers

Len

Giantfan13 hits it right on the head!

Go and experience it. Everyone has negative and positive about a cruise line. Take each review with a grain of salt. Alaska is truely amazing!

Unless you want to spend time in the lower 48 I recommend beginning your cruise in Vancouver, Canada. :)

We chose a one way cruise South to North. You will see more then if you do a round trip.

Not always. :) In your case, you are going to miss, most of the scenic sailing inside Vancouver Island. You will get a few hours of view, if you get up prior to dawn.

Contrast, round trip Vancouver does have excellent opportunities for this viewing and the possibility of orcas. :)

Some cruises now, just make a straight shot across the gulf. A few will have coastal scenic sailing, add to the mix, the single glacier itineraries.

My point is, there are all kinds of itineraries to consider, and guess what- people will rave about each and every one. Have you sailed these itineraries to compare? Meaning the round trip Seattles -- which you discourage, and the one ways? You don't mention the round trip Vancouvers?? Again the point- people enjoy them all, including myself. I just sailed 3 round trip Seattles. I'll also be doing at least 2 one ways this year. I've greatly enjoyed the several round trip Vancouver cruises I've done. All kinds of choices. :)

Not always. :) In your case, you are going to miss, most of the scenic sailing inside Vancouver Island. You will get a few hours of view, if you get up prior to dawn.

Contrast, round trip Vancouver does have excellent opportunities for this viewing and the possibility of orcas. :)

Some cruises now, just make a straight shot across the gulf. A few will have coastal scenic sailing, add to the mix, the single glacier itineraries.

My point is, there are all kinds of itineraries to consider, and guess what- people will rave about each and every one. Have you sailed these itineraries to compare? Meaning the round trip Seattles -- which you discourage, and the one ways? You don't mention the round trip Vancouvers?? Again the point- people enjoy them all, including myself. I just sailed 3 round trip Seattles. I'll also be doing at least 2 one ways this year. I've greatly enjoyed the several round trip Vancouver cruises I've done. All kinds of choices. :)

My response was to the OP who is in the UK, so likely won't be taking multiple trips to Alaska as you have done. I've been to Vancouver Island so the one way is more attractive IMO. :)

Everyone has their own opinions on how to see and experience Alaska. My own, do the round trip from Seattle. it is the easiest way to fly into and you will still get to see how great Alaska is. Then, maybe you wish to go back, try the one way trip and delve further up north.

Whichever you choice, it is simple breath taking, you will love it.

Cheers

Len

I agree with this; so many people say "oh if you do this trip you're going to miss seeing x". Well there's so much beauty on ANY Alaska trip, that you really can't go wrong ;)

I agree with this; so many people say "oh if you do this trip you're going to miss seeing x". Well there's so much beauty on ANY Alaska trip, that you really can't go wrong ;)

I agree with this for the most part .... Alaska provides breathtaking scenery that can be enjoyed without ever leaving the ship!

BUT, people still need to look for an itinerary and timing that will support their interests and priorities.

People whine that they didn't have enough time at ____ but they chose a sailing that only had them in port from 7am - noon. Or they choose a bear viewing excursion on June 1 then whine because there were no bears. Or chose a cruisetour that has them in Denali May 20 on the Natural History Tour then whine about seeing no wildlife in Denali after travelling such a long way.

I will always advise people to do their RESEARCH.

I agree with this for the most part .... Alaska provides breathtaking scenery that can be enjoyed without ever leaving the ship!

BUT, people still need to look for an itinerary and timing that will support their interests and priorities.

People whine that they didn't have enough time at ____ but they chose a sailing that only had them in port from 7am - noon. Or they choose a bear viewing excursion on June 1 then whine because there were no bears. Or chose a cruisetour that has them in Denali May 20 on the Natural History Tour then whine about seeing no wildlife in Denali after travelling such a long way.

I will always advise people to do their RESEARCH.

How true. :) Yes, there are many examples of this. Also some times, these "whiners", aren't interested in "fixing" the problem areas, usually those that do the "fix" are very few. Not sure why they come to this board some times? But all the information is worthwhile to consider- if it's accurate. :)

We are thinking next summer taking the whole family

On an Alaskan trip. 2 kids ages 10 & 7, so

Will they enjoy this on RC or Norweigan? Shud I just book

Disney?

Also, is it a MUST to have windows in staterooms to watch whales

Or would you book inside & spend most of your time up on deck?

RC not Norwegian. If your choice is Oceanview or inside go inside. The money you save can be used on tours. We always take inside. Look at the deck plans and try to find a cabin that is closest to getting outside. Alaska is such a beautiful place to see. Sailing the inside passage is fabulous. We are going back in August. Do it you and the kids will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are thinking next summer taking the whole family

On an Alaskan trip. 2 kids ages 10 & 7, so

Will they enjoy this on RC or Norweigan? Shud I just book

Disney?

Also, is it a MUST to have windows in staterooms to watch whales

Or would you book inside & spend most of your time up on deck?

Everyone is different. I do my whale watching from low, open decks. "windows" are not a "must for me, it is for some people.

Again, my opinion, I never made the ship a choice priority based on my kids. The booking was based on my priority for itinerary. :)