Cancellation Fees incurred if you have a bunkmate dragging last payment

CrzRani

So I'll try to be brief. There are 4 of us booked for a 3 day Carnival - Mexico cruise. Our final payment date is Jul 29th (30 days prior to sail payoff - part of fare promotion at the time of booking)

3 of us are almost paid off, but we have one friend lagging on getting payments in. We fear she may not have the $$ by the due date. Does anyone know what happens? The 3 of us still want to go.

I saw the cancellation fees listed, but it didn't seem to answer my question. Any input is appreciated

Does anyone have the Cliff Notes version of this?

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

So I'll try to be brief. There are 4 of us booked for a 3 day Carnival - Mexico cruise. Our final payment date is Jul 29th (30 days prior to sail payoff - part of fare promotion at the time of booking)

3 of us are almost paid off, but we have one friend lagging on getting payments in. We fear she may not have the $$ by the due date. Does anyone know what happens? The 3 of us still want to go.

I saw the cancellation fees listed, but it didn't seem to answer my question. Any input is appreciated

Does anyone have the Cliff Notes version of this?

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

The full amount has to be paid or your cruise will be cancelled. You can call and cancel her out, if you three still want to go, but you will still have to pay the balance of what the cabin is selling for now. Also if you change your booking, you will have to pay the full deposit instead of the 50. if not paid, they will cancel your cruise. Best bet is to call Carnival. I would probably cancel out. Then rebook with the friends that still want to go.

I've never read about Carnival's guidelines concerning a matter like yours. However, at this point, I think that since your final payment date is so close, it's time for someone to have a very frank conversation with the person who is lagging behind in payments, and confirm whether or not they will or will NOT be able to pay. If that person cannot pay, it may be best for the 3 of you who are paid up to split the remaining difference 3 ways, and then sell the remaining fare, and pay $50 to have the name changed. OR, just let someone else who wants to go pay the remaining balance, depending on how quickly you can make that happen. It could be an incredibly cheap vacation for someone, without having to pay a deposit! :)

I've never read about Carnival's guidelines concerning a matter like yours. However, at this point, I think that since your final payment date is so close, it's time for someone to have a very frank conversation with the person who is lagging behind in payments, and confirm whether or not they will or will NOT be able to pay. If that person cannot pay, it may be best for the 3 of you who are paid up to split the remaining difference 3 ways, and then sell the remaining boarding pass and have the new passenger to also pay $50 to have the name changed. OR, just let someone else who wants to go pay the remaining balance, depending on how quickly you can make that happen. It could be an incredibly cheap vacation for someone, without having to pay a deposit! :)

Carnival booked a stateroom for 4 people. Payment in full expected. They really don't care if one of the 4 are having money problems. If the balance isn't paid in full on the due date the booking will be canceled. The time is NOW to have a strong talk with the fourth roomie. If #4 doesn't pony up the rest of you lose!

Carnival booked a stateroom for 4 people. Payment in full expected. They really don't care if one of the 4 are having money problems. If the balance isn't paid in full on the due date the booking will be canceled. The time is NOW to have a strong talk with the fourth roomie. If #4 doesn't pony up the rest of you lose!

If they are in fact booked in a quad, couldn't they just drop the 4th person and they'd lose their $50? They might also be moved to a triple but shouldn't incur any further charges should they?

They may be booked in 2 doubles though which would be a horse of a different color.

Bill

How much is still owed? You still have over a month for that person to pay. Time to talk to the friend. It's not a crime for that person not to pay on it on your terms.

I absolutely agree with you that the fourth person don't have to pay on their terms but OP says they are worried the person can't come up with the money. Hence the reason for the discussion now. If they need to come up with the extra money or cancel her the sooner it happens the better.

You could divide the owed amount by three, pay it and let person #4 be a no show.

Depending on the amount, it could be less expensive than having her cancel.

Possibly cheaper. But, wouldn't #4 have to fill out boarding pass information? Depending on how good a friend is, that friend could possibly say "thanks for paying my way":eek:

If it's cancelled now, your rate will go up because the cabin will only have 3, assuming passenger 3 and 4 are reduced rates. Not sure if this is true, I guess it depends if the final rate was divided by 4 in the first place.

Thanks for the inputs. I guess we have come to a consensus amongst roomies to make sure to pay her way, if she doesn't cough it up when due. We have another month+ to hopefully have her pay her part of which we have already put the fear of leaving her on the dock.

Lesson was make sure to be selective on who you decide to bunk with. Choose friends with $$ and don't tend to be flakes.:rolleyes:

you could go onto the carnival site and do a pretend booking for the 3 and see what the difference is between what you paid and what is owed it may come out that you can just adjust the cabin to the 3 of you without much more owed. because if she is truly having financial issues it may be better to go without her. we did a favor and booked a friend with us but then while on the ship she was gambling and drinking. she ended up doing the most frowned upon thing on the boards and cancelling gratuities big no no but then if that was not enough we got back to our car after she left to go to hers she called and said can you meet me at the gas station I don't even have enough gas to make it back to my house..

Geez...how much does a 3 day Carnival cruise cost when 4 people are splitting the cost of one cabin??

Not big bucks to most of us. The cost was $430/ea for the 3 day cruise. Since it's Labor Day, it came out to a bit more.

Boy are people making this a lot harder than it is.

I'll assume for the heck of it that the OP does not have an early saver booking and changes are done before final payment due

There is no penalty for cancelling the 4th. The deposit will be returned

There is no fee to change the 4th person in the cabin before final payment

The person that said split 3 ways and have 4th be a no show??? WHY?

How much is still owed? You still have over a month for that person to pay. Time to talk to the friend. It's not a crime for that person not to pay on it on your terms.

I was going to say its more than a month out until a final payment of July 29th. Does the original OP mean June 29th? For a cruise in August, some family members had three in a cabin with a final payment date of June 2nd. Two were paid in full, and one had $200 left on the balance. They informed the person of this, and they stated they knew the payment was due on Monday, but when they went into the system it wouldn't let them make the payment. The main cabin holder (previous Carnival cruiser) told the person they would call Carnival on a three way so that it could be made with a rep. The person made excuses as to why they didn't have time to do it right then. This went on for a day or two, which was two days before final payment. They booked ES, and Carnival was running a new promo, which if they took the person off the booking, they would have broke even. The person finally did call the main cabin holder back the next day, and they called Carnival to make the final payment. So, I would check with the person, and maybe give them a deadline or ask them of their intentions with going, and explain to them the repercussions of them not paying on the date, which may effect the other cruisers in the room. Hope everything works out.

Edited by sjcruiser

Boy are people making this a lot harder than it is.

I'll assume for the heck of it that the OP does not have an early saver booking and changes are done before final payment due

There is no penalty for cancelling the 4th. The deposit will be returned

There is no fee to change the 4th person in the cabin before final payment

The person that said split 3 ways and have 4th be a no show??? WHY?

OP said they booked under a special promotion that allows final payment to be made 30 days prior to sailing. I think that promotion has restrictions similiar to Early Saver...but either way I agree on your other points. I think cancelling the 4th person in a room of 4 is a lot less harder than canceling the 2d person or 3rd person. I don't think there would be an increase for the remaining at all.

OP said they booked under a special promotion that allows final payment to be made 30 days prior to sailing. I think that promotion has restrictions similiar to Early Saver...but either way I agree on your other points. I think cancelling the 4th person in a room of 4 is a lot less harder than canceling the 2d person or 3rd person. I don't think there would be an increase for the remaining at all.

Wouldn't it make a difference if #1 and 2 booked at a higher rate, or if billing was simply divided by 4? That's where the difference might be.

it's a 3 day cruise, thus 30 days final payment due

Isn't 3rd and 4th person in cabins bonus? Usually the 1st and 2nd pay the full price, 3rd and 4th are generally cheaper. I understand that the four here split the whole fare 4 ways, but if a 4th (or even 3rd) person dropped, wouldn't this room still be "fully occupied" as they rate every room double occupancy?

Other than the change fee that would probably be applied, wouldn't this drop the price of the room down?

Not sure as I've never had 4 people in a room before.

Isn't 3rd and 4th person in cabins bonus? Usually the 1st and 2nd pay the full price, 3rd and 4th are generally cheaper. I understand that the four here split the whole fare 4 ways, but if a 4th (or even 3rd) person dropped, wouldn't this room still be "fully occupied" as they rate every room double occupancy?

Other than the change fee that would probably be applied, wouldn't this drop the price of the room down?

Without including a penalty fee, yes the cabin would be cheaper. But the fare would increase per person because it would be divided by just 3.

It's before final. There is no change fee