Probably headed south

The cruise lines introduced pay-for restaurants. What happened to the food we got in the dining room. Those who have been cruising since the 90's can answer that. It went SOUTH. Now Carnival is asking if people want to get on the ship before other people-- pay-for early boarding. I just wonder where this will lead?

It heads me on the boat and to my room to drop off my carry on fast. Sorry to all the people who feel they have earned that right but if Carnival offers it, I'm taking it.

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

I like the food in the dining room. I can only imagine how yummy it was before the 90's!

I'm guilty of the FTTF thing as well, I like priority boarding, going to my room early and also not having to wait in line like a mere peasant at guest services.

I've been cruising since the 80's. IMHO, the MDR food hasn't changed that much. In fact I have menus from back then and the selection doesn't look that much different than now. Yes, there are things that were better then, but fondly reminiscing about how good cruise ship food was 30 years ago seems to me as a bit of hazy and selective memory.

What I can tell you is that I've never had a steak at sea as memorable as the one I've had when I've gone to the alternative steakhouse on Carnival, or an experience as polished as on the Pinnacle Grill on Holland America. In my opinion, the alternative restaurants are an enhancement to the cruising experience, and I'm grateful to have those OPTIONS these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I am not sure how the complaints you state would effect your cruise.

These are options that you may or may not choose. They are OPTIONS...and many people enjoy them. Again, how does this effect your cruise experience? I cannot see how it does. No one is telling you to go to the steakhouse or opt to be one of the 15 mere cabins to enter your cabin early.

Please do not go on the Oasis, Allure, Breakaway, Getaway or Quantum. You will probably have a heart attack. :eek:

The OP has a point, but I agree that it is farily late to the party. I for one, like the FTTF program as by creating additional revenue for basically no additional cost, it helps keep the price of the cruise down. I agree with them that the food is not as good in the MDR as it used to be, but the cost of cruising is much cheaper then it was. If you want the great food, you can still get it, but you need to pay for it at the specialty restaurants. If you eat at the specialty restaruants 2 or 3 times then you have that great dining experience for about the same total money you use to spend on cruising years ago. This pricing method allows options for everyone.

I am not sure how the complaints you state would effect your cruise.

These are options that you may or may not choose. They are OPTIONS...and many people enjoy them. Again, how does this effect your cruise experience? I cannot see how it does. No one is telling you to go to the steakhouse or opt to be one of the 15 mere cabins to enter your cabin early.

Please do not go on the Oasis, Allure, Breakaway, Getaway or Quantum. You will probably have a heart attack. :eek:

Probably FTTF was sold out for her upcoming cruise on Sunshine with the grand kids:)

FTTF (faster to the fun) is sold to 15 cabins. Does it really irritate you that much you have to post about it?

Maybe it's released in blocks of 15 cabins. It is supposed to be capacity controlled by the number of Platinums and Diamonds booked/anticipated for a certain cruise.

It seems that all we hear about is the things that people think they have lost. What about all the improvements , enhancements and extra amenities that we never had in the 70's, 80's and 90's?

We started cruising in the 70's. My first cruise with my DH was on the Mardi Gras. There were no electrical outlets in the cabin. DH had long curly head that had to be blow dried. He had to go to a common room and dry his hair with all the ladies. Not a complaint, actually gives us a story to tell about the good old days...lol. In 1992, we took our two sons on a cruise. They were 2 pinball machines for them to play with. Not much of a Camp Carnival for them. They had some activities for the teens and since my 11 was a mature 11 year old, he was allowed to participate in the teen activities. My 8 year son and another 7 year old girl had to entertain themselves. No planned activities for them.

We had production shows and magicians and jugglers in the show lounge but not alternative shows like the comedy shows etc etc. One choice of shows. Some of the cuts were logical. Like the midnight buffets. They were great to look at and great photo ops but lots of waste of good food. I could go on and on but it would take me pages...lol.

Carnival, like the other cruise lines have actually upped the choices and amenities for a cruise vacation. Like everything else in life, they have had to change with the times.

For those of you who keep complaining about FTTF, we the Platinums and Diamonds GAINED from this program. We got to go to our cabins early and get our luggage early because of the FTTF. ...... and speaking of perks, there were no loyalty perks back then so again, this is an added amenity.

Sometimes you lose some things but some times you gain. That's life!:)

Edited by mississauga

I take advantage of the FTTF, as I have a ways to go before I hit Platinum. I'll probably get it for the early baggage service when I hit the milestone also. I also like the ability to eat at alternate restaurants, whether paid or for free while on the cruise. This cruise will b my first to the steakhouse on Carnival, but Chops Grill on Royal has some of the best meals, especially the rack of lamb which is hard to find at a "reasonable" price. For the $30+ dollars that it costs, its well worth it.

I take advantage of the FTTF, as I have a ways to go before I hit Platinum. I'll probably get it for the early baggage service when I hit the milestone also. I also like the ability to eat at alternate restaurants, whether paid or for free while on the cruise. This cruise will b my first to the steakhouse on Carnival, but Chops Grill on Royal has some of the best meals, especially the rack of lamb which is hard to find at a "reasonable" price. For the $30+ dollars that it costs, its well worth it.

By Milestone, do you mean reaching Platinum? If so, you will not have to get FTTF. All the benefits of FTTF are received by becoming Platinum and there is no cost. It's all part of the free perk.:D

FTTF (faster to the fun) is sold to 15 cabins. Does it really irritate you that much you have to post about it?

Great post.

We are Platinum and FTTF does not bother us at all.

While we are happy to receive the Platinum perks we do NOT cruise because of the perks.

It seems that all we hear about is the things that people think they have lost. What about all the improvements , enhancements and extra amenities that we never had in the 70's, 80's and 90's?

We started cruising in the 70's. My first cruise with my DH was on the Mardi Gras. There were no electrical outlets in the cabin. DH had long curly head that had to be blow dried. He had to go to a common room and dry his hair with all the ladies. Not a complaint, actually gives us a story to tell about the good old days...lol. In 1992, we took our two sons on a cruise. They were 2 pinball machines for them to play with. Not much of a Camp Carnival for them. They had some activities for the teens and since my 11 was a mature 11 year old, he was allowed to participate in the teen activities. My 8 year son and another 7 year old girl had to entertain themselves. No planned activities for them.

We had production shows and magicians and jugglers in the show lounge but not alternative shows like the comedy shows etc etc. One choice of shows. Some of the cuts were logical. Like the midnight buffets. They were great to look at and great photo ops but lots of waste of good food. I could go on and on but it would take me pages...lol.

Carnival, like the other cruise lines have actually upped the choices and amenities for a cruise vacation. Like everything else in life, they have had to change with the times.

For those of you who keep complaining about FTTF, we the Platinums and Diamonds GAINED from this program. We got to go to our cabins early and get our luggage early because of the FTTF. ...... and speaking of perks, there were no loyalty perks back then so again, this is an added amenity.

Sometimes you lose some things but some times you gain. That's life!:)

Great "glass half full" post :) Such a refreshing change of pace from some around here.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

My first cruise was in 1985.

I took a nap in the afternoon of the first day after the room has been done by the steward.

when I came back to my room after a while I was SHOCKED to see that my bed had been made up for the SECOND time in a day.

it doesn't take much to pamper me apparently ;-)

I wish they would sell even more FTTF options.

The more folks that get their early only means a shorter line, if any line, for those like myself who like to stroll on the ship about 2:30pm.

I know the majority seems to want to get on the ship ASAP, but I don't get it. I am going to be on the ship for 7 days. More than enough time to explore. And if I miss a buffet meal that first lunch...my stomach will thank me. In fact, skipping that meal only makes that first dinner in the MDR taste even better.

And since I am rolling here, frankly, I don't need my luggage until it is bedtime and I need to brush my teeth (Columbia River Shorts are great to wear on the ship that first day). And as far as getting off the ship on the last day, seems those same people who rush to get on the first day, rush to get off that last day. What is up with that? We sleep in, eat a relaxing breakfast in the MDR, and hang out in our room until the actually kick us out. Then basically stroll off the ship. I guess having a short 3.5 hour drive to the port allows us this luxury.