Why Does Carnival Still Print" Fun Times"

hattack

I think it's a great idea! There are many people who would prefer this electronically, and the kiosks are a wonderful alternative to high wi-fi charges or carrying around a tablet or smartphone. However, if this were to go into effect, then I think the printed "Funtimes" should still be available for those who prefer it.

Does not the technology exists today that a "chip" can be implanted onto your S&S card that will contain an "app" that holds a "cube" that you can customize your daily schedule instead of printing a paper daily "Fun Times"...Carnival could place scanners all around the ship where you could swipe your S&S card to receive updates and changes or link it to a kiosh

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has such an "app" today that you can download on your tablet or cell phone...would not work on a cruiseship because of high charges for wifi and roaming cost which means most folks turn off their devices for the entire length of their cruise

Is JH and "the suits" working on this to be beta testedon the next generationvessel

Can't speak for anyone but me. But the last think I want to do on a cruise is stand in line to scan my sail and sign card to see what is next. And don't even think about an app for cell phones. I for one go on a cruise to get rid of my cell phone for a few days.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

Does not the technology exists today that a "chip" can be implanted onto your S&S card that will contain an "app" that holds a "cube" that you can customize your daily schedule instead of printing a paper daily "Fun Times"...Carnival could place scanners all around the ship where you could swipe your S&S card to receive updates and changes or link it to a kiosh

The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival has such an "app" today that you can download on your tablet or cell phone...would not work on a cruiseship because of high charges for wifi and roaming cost which means most folks turn off their devices for the entire length of their cruise

Is JH and "the suits" working on this to be beta testedon the next generationvessel

It's for people like me who do not understand what you are talking about. :o

Believe it or not, there are people out here who don't do "apps". ME Don't have a smart phone. or even a cell phone ME Or have a tablet. ME And some don't even own a computer. i have one

There will still be a necessity for printed materiel.

I detest cell phones,, my car is the only place in the world where no one can get ahold of me. I am good with that.

I really dislike texting, can you not talk to the people beside you, you really have to text them. It goes further though, I had 2 friends killed on thier motorcycles because some lady thought she should be driving and texting at same time.

Give me a book any time, thank you

When i am on vacation if my house caught fire let me find out when i get home, i am floating in the middle of the ocean and there is not a thing i can do about it. Nothing is going to changes from the situation .

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

I AGREE! We enjoy this too! Part of the reason we go on cruises is to get away from technology for a bit!

Don't do away with the Fun Times. I look forward to going back to the cabin at night to see what the next da activities have planned for me....then I get my highlighter and mark down what I want to do the next day.

I also bring one home from everyday....it is fun to look back at them later on

I have read through this comment about 10 times since it was posted...can someone please tell

me what the "cube" is??? I'd like to think I'm a tech savvy person but maybe not...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a digital ice cube. When you're not swiping the card at the kiosk for information, drop it into your drink to keep it chilled. ;)

I am surprise that no one has updated this post with the latest announcement regarding Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas "Royal IQ" which thru the use of RFID Bracelets containing an "app" which allows guests to retain their daily activities schedule and receive updates at digital screen stations thruout the ship

Royal Caribbeans is known more then Carnival for it's innovations on it's newer ships, can Carnival be that far behind

In rereading certain replys to my original thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm betting RC didn't do away with printed materials, though. Too many people love them. I'm one of them. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to get off my bottom to go look at a screen for what's going on. I want to take the paper out of my pocket, look at it, and continue sitting on my behind until it is time for whatever activity I'm interested in.

Does the bracelet do anything else? Does it replace the key/payment card? That's a technology I with Carnival and all cruise lines would get behind. Great Wolf Lodge uses it, and Disney has been beginning to implement it in parks.

I am surprise that no one has updated this post with the latest announcement regarding Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas "Royal IQ" which thru the use of RFID Bracelets containing an "app" which allows guests to retain their daily activities schedule and receive updates at digital screen stations thruout the ship

Royal Caribbeans is known more then Carnival for it's innovations on it's newer ships, can Carnival be that far behind

Well reading the following 25 post after yours I see why it was not updated. I'm with the majority here, keep the fun times! :)

I don't carry my phone around the ship but I love that nifty little tear part of the fun times to carry around.

Agreed! Even though I do have a smart phone (where not everyone does!), I don't have it turned on during the cruise to avoid charges AND so I can be left alone, because I am on vacation!

This is really funny....you do know that there are many many places in the world where you can't get a signal don't you? For instance we sailed from Alaska to China, no internet satellite for 7 days. Same for the Tasman sea and most cruises thru the Baltics....I guess if all you do is sail Caribbean cruises you can find a signal, but.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is really funny....you do know that there are many many places in the world where you can't get a signal don't you? For instance we sailed from Alaska to China, no internet satellite for 7 days. Same for the Tasman sea and most cruises thru the Baltics....I guess if all you do is sail Caribbean cruises you can find a signal, but.....

Don't have to go that far on land.

Parts of California just north of Napa have no signal.

We're another family that puts the phone away for the duration. DH used to take his out to contact the office but now it's cheaper to call from the cabin.

The tearoff is much easier than something electronic.

And I hate rigid bracelets. Even those cheap rubber ones.

Edited by SadieN

This has nothing to do with having an electronic version of the Fun Times.

Ironic that you sent your post from an iPad, though. ;)

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

I agree! I love them and highlighting them, it is not the same as looking at it on a small screen! Maybe the next generation will be more amenable to this, but a lot in this generation still likes hard copies! I also like to read an actual book! LOL!

You can insert your sail and sign into one of the "kiosks" and print out itemized charges. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult for anyone to print out any or part of the Fun Times.

Whether we like it or not.......times are changing. I filled out my last credit application for a car AND signed a lot of the forms on one of those electronic signature pads. We recently went out to eat and there was a small electronic screen at the table for us to "swipe" our credit card and pay our bill.....including the tip option of course.

Now.........all those pictures they print and throw away........THOSE should be set up electronically. IMHO

Yep, count me in as a person/family who does not own a smart phone. To top it all off, where I live in New York State I cannot get a cell phone connection at my house. So, there are those of us who still have to rely on land line phones and no apps. Friend of mine lives in the Adirondack mountains and has to drive 40+ miles to get a cell phone signal. Parts of the "Northway" expressway connecting NYC to Montreal have no cell phone service. So, being on a ship with no/limited cell service reminds us of home.

Love those printed Fun Times with the tear off strip!

I detest cell phones,, my car is the only place in the world where no one can get ahold of me. I am good with that.

I really dislike texting, can you not talk to the people beside you, you really have to text them. It goes further though, I had 2 friends killed on thier motorcycles because some lady thought she should be driving and texting at same time.

Give me a book any time, thank you

When i am on vacation if my house caught fire let me find out when i get home, i am floating in the middle of the ocean and there is not a thing i can do about it. Nothing is going to changes from the situation .

Love this!!! I do have a cell phone, but I do agree with what you are saying. I DO NOT carry my cell phone with me or take my i-pad on a cruise vacation. The whole cruise experience is getting lost. It's being polluted with technology...LOL!

Yesterday I saw a PR ad from Royal Caribbean. It said that "No one really wants to disconnect while on vacation...so they have super fast wi-fi on their ships, so you can stay connected ALL the time." That is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard.... really ticked me off because we used to sail on Royal alot.

We sail to get away from the real world. To reconnect with our family. I feel so sad for those that can't do that.

:D:D:D:D agree!!!

I like the paper version, easy to mark off what I want to do and carry in my pocket. On my cruise last year, they had a bare bones website with some of the funtimes in it. I'll see if they have improved it this year. No need for a dedicated app.

They could make an app, probably quite easily, but cruisers would need to install it before the cruise. During the cruise, they may not necessarily be able to get data and/or want to pay the data charges to download some app. (The local wifi is free, but in order to install an app, your phone/device would need to communicate with the Apple/Google/Microsoft store, using external data)

Believe it or not, there are people out here who don't do "apps". Don't have a smart phone. Or have a tablet. And some don't even own a computer.

There will still be a necessity for printed materiel.

Me! But I do own a computer. I just like tearing off the little section with everything listed to carry around. I do not want to keep up with a phone all day and checking that for events...the paper is quicker.