Bermuda - sniffer dogs and conduct warrantless searches without probable cause.

Shacky316

This reminds me of a couple of years ago... I was traveling from the US to India via Dubai. I had to clear security in Dubai and was detained for having rechargeable batteries. After some time in detention, they confiscated HALF of my batteries, gave me the other half back and sent me on my way.

One of my co-workers asked me why I didn't protest... Ummmm... not going to happen in the Middle East. I was more than happy to give up my batteries. Their country. Their rules.

Boston to Bermuda should be interesting next summer with folks bringing prescription pot . :D

Cruise ships along with immigration and customs operate following federal law not state law. There is no such thing as prescription pot under federal law. under federal law it is still illegal.

Had the pleasure of getting sniffed by a Mexican police dog is Cozumel as we walked down the pier this past December. I guess us Americans have a bad reputation. Their country, their laws. Can't you do without weed for a week?

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140624/NEWS04/140629872

Wow. Had not heard of this before. I'm not a smoker, but do not like the intrusion. What is the experience like if you happen to be in your cabin when they show up?

Warrants and Probable Cause are not required in areas of implied consent. You enter a transportation hub, you consent to search. You board a cruise ship, you consent to search. You enter another country, you consent to search. That's just the way it is.

Warrants and Probable Cause are not required in areas of implied consent. You enter a transportation hub, you consent to search. You board a cruise ship, you consent to search. You enter another country, you consent to search. That's just the way it is.

There is no need for implied consent. The Constitution bans unreasonable searches not all searches. US law and the common law upon which is based(as well as the Magna Carta)-the same rule in Bermuda BTW- does not require a warrant or consent for a border search. An arrest still requires probable cause. Very few arrests(relatively) have warrants anyway. 90% or so of all arrests in the US take place without a warrant.

Had the pleasure of getting sniffed by a Mexican police dog is Cozumel as we walked down the pier this past December. I guess us Americans have a bad reputation. Their country, their laws. Can't you do without weed for a week?

Shewt, we constantly hear from fellows who cannot do without diet coke or dasani water for a week. A serious wake-and-bake fellow will just hafta make a decision.

That dog might have been an agriculture dog. They're very aggressive in Cozumel against passengers taking fruit ashore, and they do use dogs.

That dog might have been an agriculture dog. They're very aggressive in Cozumel against passengers taking fruit ashore, and they do use dogs.

Dogs can be trained to find just about anything with a distinctive scent.

I did notice many signs when boarding the Breakaway about that it was the a "Drug Free Zone".

Haven't seen that for other ships.

John. Read your contract.

Sent from my iPad using Forums