Sushi

kenevenpar

How has the sushi been for those of you who have cruised recently. Is it sushi, or as I saw in a couple of recent photos, California Rolls, cooked shrimp and the like?

Ken

What you saw in a couple of recent photos.

How has the sushi been for those of you who have cruised recently. Is it sushi, or as I saw in a couple of recent photos, California Rolls, cooked shrimp and the like?

Ken

I had the best unagi outside of Tokyo on Century back in April. but overall, it's the plain Americanized bland stuff.

never saw any sashimi at all.

I had the best unagi outside of Tokyo on Century back in April. but overall, it's the plain Americanized bland stuff.

never saw any sashimi at all.

That surprises me (unagi). I did not ask about sashimi as I did not think there was a chance of that.

In April there was Maki, and a pretty wide variety as well as a few types of Nigiri, no Sashimi, unless you just pulled the fish off rice of the Nigiri and made your own :) While the Maki is ok and has an ok variety, it's still pretty pedestrian sushi, nothing special, but still sushi. The ginger (even in Silk Road) was horrible.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

Actually the fish is quite good...and it's not just cooked rolls, california rolls and shrimp...there is a decent selection. The rice, unfortunately, leaves something (actually a great deal) to be desired, it is not flavored at all and the consistency is just wrong. I have been known to stop at the sushi bar on a few nights for a "snack" before dinner....

We expected better at silk harvest...Alas, we found it was far worse because the rolls they served were clearly made much earlier, dried out, the nori was a soggy mess....probably the worst sushi I've been served anywhere. We actually walked out after trying the sushi appetizer...it was that bad.

We expected better at silk harvest...Alas, we found it was far worse because the rolls they served were clearly made much earlier, dried out, the nori was a soggy mess....probably the worst sushi I've been served anywhere. We actually walked out after trying the sushi appetizer...it was that bad.

:eek::eek::eek:

Alas, food is subjective, so take all this with a grain of rice. We certainly don't cruise for world class sushi, and don't expect it on a ship, when the cost for a meal would cost way a day of cruising costs (in a suite).

We didn't order Sushi in Silk Harvest, but did have a decent meal there, nothing special (sort of like our opinion of Quisine, it's fun for a night, but not too special food wise).

The sushi is pretty much equal to what you'd get at most non gourmet japanese restaurants in any city USA.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Yikes. I was hoping to make a meal of sushi at SH on the Equinox, maybe I'll just order a bunch of appetizers instead....

Yikes. I was hoping to make a meal of sushi at SH on the Equinox, maybe I'll just order a bunch of appetizers instead....

Your experience may be different than ours. We found a larger selection of sushi, better (fresher) prepared at the sushi bar. That was our one and only experience at Silk Harvest. By the way, they didn't charge us for the meal and and they let us dine at a different specialty restaurant later in the cruise. They handled it well....perhaps because they were stunned that we would walk out before our main courses were served.

Your experience may be different than ours. We found a larger selection of sushi, better (fresher) prepared at the sushi bar. That was our one and only experience at Silk Harvest. By the way, they didn't charge us for the meal and and they let us dine at a different specialty restaurant later in the cruise. They handled it well....perhaps because they were stunned that we would walk out before our main courses were served.

I agree, for sushi, save the $$ on Silk Harvest and head to the Sushi at the buffet. The rest of the meal at Silk Harvest was good with a few highlight (I can't remember right now without looking at a menu).

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

I've never been impressed by the selection (or lack there) of sushi on board. I don't like the fact that it's only available at certain times of the day in the buffet (we rarely even go to the buffet). I would love to see a good sushi restaurant on each ship (including sashimi which is a must for any sushi restaurant). I'm surprised that X doesn't offer a better option on all ships considering they are known to cater to "foodies".

I guess I'll just have to settle for quality sushi back home...

Shawn

I probably shouldn't say this but we had Sashimi on Mercury. We were told to order it a day ahead. We did, and it was ready each day. I know this was 6.5 years ago, so maybe it's not available now with all the cutbacks. Worth a try though. As someone else said, make your own by not eating the rice on the Nigiri.