Are some people too hard to please?

nw500005

Thanks to all who posted what you value about Regent. Now I have a better understanding of what you get for your money, even if some expressed that the experience isn't "perfect." What's most interesting to me are the comparisons to HAL, our favorite line...

When we were on Oceania's Riviera last year there were many HAL and Princess customers onboard. They almost unanimously loved Oceania. IMO, HAL customers are more comfortable on Oceania than on Regent (unless included alcohol is a big deal). If you book a special on Oceania, you get internet and tips included. Hard to beat. And, the cost is less than Regent.

When we were on Oceania's Riviera last year there were many HAL and Princess customers onboard. They almost unanimously loved Oceania. IMO, HAL customers are more comfortable on Oceania than on Regent (unless included alcohol is a big deal). If you book a special on Oceania, you get internet and tips included. Hard to beat. And, the cost is less than Regent.

Well, I guess I am starting something....I've been good for a while... and, it's not yet July 29. I'm feeling a little cranky today...To say that HAL and Princess passengers would be more comfortable on Oceania rather than Regent is the most ridiculous assumption I have heard lately. Why would they not be comfortable on Regent? It just sounds elitist, to me. I've been on Navigator twice....extremely similar to HAL Prinsendam. The main difference is everything is included. I personally believe anyone who has sailed a mainstream line would love a stocked fridge and a huge marble bathroom with a separate shower. All inclusive with 300 sq ft. cabins standard, and white tablecloth room service....why would that make anyone not comfortable??? Oceania's 3 smaller ships are just better decorated standard cruiseships. Not appealing to me. For those of you who have never sailed Regent, you will be comfortable, I promise! Regent is very nice, but not that different except for the aspects mentioned. Just don't expect everything to be perfect.

We have been traveling a lot in recent years and I have had some people tell me oh this is awful or that is awful or we hated this or that. We took a tour with a group that included a bike trip around Versailles. When the bikes showed up they did not have a bike which would fit a woman who wanted to ride or me. So rather than enjoying the ambiance of one of the most beautiful places in the world she found a bench and sat and pouted and cried. My husband and I played Petanque with one of the guides and the man who brought the bikes. We had a wonderful time. When we were finished we went to the little café, got a lovely glass of wine and just appreciated being in such a iconic venue. On our trip from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale we didn't get to stop in Maine (weather) or Savannah (no room at the dock) but do you let that ruin your trip? Judging from the people yelling at the tour desk I guess some people did. On another Voyager trip we sat at the bar with a man who insisted on tasting every single wine in the bar -- and to each and every one he had a blistering criticism of the quality and selection of the wines. I guess the moral of the story is, do we find everything perfect -- of course not. Do we find some things aggravating? Of course we do. But for the most part people (i.e., ship people, tour people) all just want to be treated with a little kindness and a little respect and most often, not always, those people will then go out of their way to make sure that your vacation is as enjoyable as it can be. At least that is what we have found. And it doesn't make anybody's day to be ugly about things. I don't enjoy being yelled at when I'm at work and I'm sure neither do they. And to tie this into the thread -- sometimes your satisfaction and enjoyment of something can depend on you not your surroundings.

We have been traveling a lot in recent years and I have had some people tell me oh this is awful or that is awful or we hated this or that. We took a tour with a group that included a bike trip around Versailles. When the bikes showed up they did not have a bike which would fit a woman who wanted to ride or me. So rather than enjoying the ambiance of one of the most beautiful places in the world she found a bench and sat and pouted and cried. My husband and I played Petanque with one of the guides and the man who brought the bikes. We had a wonderful time. When we were finished we went to the little café, got a lovely glass of wine and just appreciated being in such a iconic venue. On our trip from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale we didn't get to stop in Maine (weather) or Savannah (no room at the dock) but do you let that ruin your trip? Judging from the people yelling at the tour desk I guess some people did. On another Voyager trip we sat at the bar with a man who insisted on tasting every single wine in the bar -- and to each and every one he had a blistering criticism of the quality and selection of the wines. I guess the moral of the story is, do we find everything perfect -- of course not. Do we find some things aggravating? Of course we do. But for the most part people (i.e., ship people, tour people) all just want to be treated with a little kindness and a little respect and most often, not always, those people will then go out of their way to make sure that your vacation is as enjoyable as it can be. At least that is what we have found. And it doesn't make anybody's day to be ugly about things. I don't enjoy being yelled at when I'm at work and I'm sure neither do they. And to tie this into the thread -- sometimes your satisfaction and enjoyment of something can depend on you not your surroundings.

Though I appreciate what you are saying, I have to ask: is there any validity to the idea that those who pay for luxury cruises have expectations in line with the amount they paid for the cruise, and therefore have significantly more opportunity to be disappointed? This is not to mention the idea that those who can afford luxury cruising already have a heightened sense of what they value and are used to -- a more discriminating taste level, shall we say (unless they are cruising on a luxury line because they have recently won the lottery.)

Most on CC would suggest that cruisers on the very inexpensive cruise lines really shouldn't complain, because they receive what they should expect to receive when they pay $50-$100 per night for their cruise. This is why the oft-read advice is," If you want something better, choose a better cruise line!"

With the example you gave of someone being very disappointed with not being able to participate in the bike excursion, part of the problem I see is that because the excursion is included in the price of the cruise, if it doesn't work out, can the passenger get some sort of compensation? There is no excursion fee to get a refund on. Regarding the "wine critic" you mentioned, at least on cruises where the bar tab is extra, one can pay for better wine if one chooses.

I know that my expectations of a luxury line would be exceedingly higher than my expectations of a mass-market line, if for no other reason than that I had sunk so much money into the cruise! Although I would not expect "perfection," I would expect something pretty close!

But to get back to the OP's original question, there is no doubt that some people are too hard to please! What I wonder about is whether the luxury lines are more likely to attract those sorts of people than the less expensive lines. In the end, of course, it is all about the individual's response to what they experience on their cruise.

Edited by SeagoingMom

For sure I can not comment on whether HAL or Princess clients are best suited for one line or the other, I have cruised neither of those lines, I don't know whether Travelcat has either. At any rate, I am about to board a Princess ship tomorrow for Alaska with almost all of my family. The grands are so excited (4 and 6 yrs) to be going to this place with a name they've never heard of, but it is ALASKA!!!.

I have cruised almost exclusively with Regent and similar sized ships, but have no reservations changing lines, and get on any ship with some expectations, of course, but will let this cruise deliver what it does, and I'm sure it will be great. My greatest trepidation is going from 700 people to more than 2000. That's something I will just have to deal with!

Like when I'm on Regent, I will try not to be too hard to please!

Edited by jhp

Money does not inoculate one from things going wrong. Nature, mechanics, and humans being what they are, nothing will be perfect. If the expectation is that the step-up in price to a luxury line will guarantee perfection, do not make that step up. You are guaranteed disappointment, and why spend your vacation feeling ripped off?

Instead, look at the product offered, and ask yourself, do I value these things, and do I value them enough to pay the premium? Which gets to the fundamental question here: what ARE "these things"?

Here's what I see:

1. A nice-sized suite, with a balcony (other than a few cabins on the Navigator).

2. Walk-in closet.

3. Good-sized bathroom.

4. Not having to worry about tips, signing for drinks, etc.

5. Not having to compete with thousands of others to get on and off the ship, at meals, etc.

6. Open seating in the dining room--you can eat when you want, with whom you want, or take "people pot luck" and let the maitre d' pick for you.

7. A nice ship.

8. Good food (well, most of the time--there's going to be some misses).

9. Alternative restaurants at no additional cost.

10. Convivial company.

11. Great service.

12. Excursions that are not overcrowded (well, most of the time)

13. No nickel-and-diming, so grab that extra bottle of water when you go ashore, and enjoy the beverages in your cabin fridge or in the restaurants and bars.

14. A sense of intimacy, as you get to know fellow pax, crew, entertainers, etc.

15. About as all-inclusive as you can get, so that you know going exactly what the price tag will be on the full experience.

Do you value these things? Then go for it. Do some matter more than others? Look around, and see if there's other lines that offer the items you care most about, and at what price? Nothing will be perfect, but with a little research (and a good TA) you can find what's closest for you.

I haven't been on Regent in a couple of years now, and don't have anything booked with them (though I do with Silversea and Crystal). This is in part because I just haven't seen an itinerary I want at a time I can go, and in part because item 15 has pushed the value equation beyond what I feel is worth the price--for me. That's the calculation we all make, and each of us needs to make for ourselves. The rest of us can only tell you whether we feel the product delivers the value we seek.

Crys is on the mark. I love all stated about Regent. What is the deal breaker for me, is not being able to grab a quick dinner in La Verandah. When we travel in Europe, we rarely go to the dining room for a long dinner if we have gotten back late from an excursion. I don't like having to dress up to go to dinner when I'm tired and hungry. Usually, people coming back from excursions head to the Lido on Prinsendam. When we start sailing Regent overseas, we will have to get room service. What surprises me is that other people don't seem to miss La Verandah for dinner.

Edited by LindaM
edit

I want to cruise with you!!! I could not have said it better!

Debi

LindaM,

Why can't you get a quick dinner in Sette Mare?

The appetizers, salads and desserts are all buffet style. I've gone there a number of times and just skipped the main course.

Jeans are an issue . . . I agree.

Just my experience . . . .

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Sette mare is just as quick, if you want it to be, as La Veranda ever was. Plenty of food on the buffet to make a more than adequate meal. In la veranda, you ordered your main course from a menu, just like is done now in Sette mare.

LindaM,

Why can't you get a quick dinner in Sette Mare?

The appetizers, salads and desserts are all buffet style. I've gone there a number of times and just skipped the main course.

Jeans are an issue . . . I agree.

Just my experience . . . .

Peggy

You are most likely correct!! When we ate at Sette Mare, we ordered the main course off the menu. To tell you the truth, I didn't look at the appetizers or dessert, because I knew I would have way to much to eat. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I do not remember ordering from the menu, the year before it changed. I thought it was buffet...like at lunch. Unless we never ate there for dinner, so I assumed it was buffet like lunch. Good to know we can eat there for dinner--hopefully I will remember.... But, like you mentioned, the attire could be an issue. Usually I don't wear blue jeans, but in Europe, black or grey. I do remember seeing someone in grey jeans in Sette Mare on our last cruise, even though it's forbidden!

There were definitely women wearing white jeans in the evening on our recent cruise. Not my thing. I only wear jeans on the ranch at home. There are way more comfortable outfits than jeans! A cute sundress, or some stretchy palazzo pants and top. But they were there in jeans, and no one complained. So I think as long as they aren't blue jeans, you would probably be fine.

LindaM,

As long as I can remember and I'm a long time Regent passenger, La Veranda and then Sette Mare had the same set-up - buffet plus a main course menu.

In the past when Formal was FORMAL, La Veranda was not.

I agree with Rachel . . .I suspect that non-blue jeans will pass muster.

Anyway, give it a try!

Peggy

Well, I guess I am starting something....I've been good for a while... and, it's not yet July 29. I'm feeling a little cranky today...To say that HAL and Princess passengers would be more comfortable on Oceania rather than Regent is the most ridiculous assumption I have heard lately. Why would they not be comfortable on Regent? It just sounds elitist, to me. I've been on Navigator twice....extremely similar to HAL Prinsendam. The main difference is everything is included. I personally believe anyone who has sailed a mainstream line would love a stocked fridge and a huge marble bathroom with a separate shower. All inclusive with 300 sq ft. cabins standard, and white tablecloth room service....why would that make anyone not comfortable??? Oceania's 3 smaller ships are just better decorated standard cruiseships. Not appealing to me. For those of you who have never sailed Regent, you will be comfortable, I promise! Regent is very nice, but not that different except for the aspects mentioned. Just don't expect everything to be perfect.

It is fine if you feel that I am elitist. My first question is whether or not you have been on Oceania's larger ships? The ships (Riviera and Marina) are more beautiful than Regent's (and dramatically better laid out than the Navigator) - obviously, these observations are my opinion only. While we have not as yet seen Oceania's 3 smaller ships (we will tour one in November), they do not sound as nice as Regent's ships and definitely have small cabins and bathrooms.

The food in the specialty restaurants (well, at least three of them) is better than on Regent (the opinion of many).

Oceania has different benefits depending upon the level of suite you book. For instance, if you book a "concierge" or above suite, you may visit the Executive Lounge. This area is not available for passengers in lower suites (the true definition of elitist, IMO). Since HAL and Princess are more "class" oriented, this is not something that is offensive to them while it may be for luxury cruisers that go on Oceania.

Oceania's Marina and Rivera are a bit larger than Regent ships. Some HAL and Princess guests find this to be a plus. The service on Regent and Oceania is exceptional - no difference.

We love chatting with passengers. When we spoke with Oceania passengers that came from HAL or Princess, almost 100% adore Oceania while many (including Oceania passengers) are not happy with Regent. Some people simply do not want to pay for included drinks, tips and excursions (all of which are included in Regent's fare). As a result, most Oceania cruises are considerably less money than Regent.

As I have mentioned on other threads, we no longer wish to sail on the Navigator. She is a lovely little ship but lacks a forward lounge and is terribly crowded if the weather turns bad and all 490 passengers need to stay inside of the ship. There is not enough room in La Veranda for many passengers. I bring this point up because, rather than sailing on the Navigator this November, we are sailing on Oceania's Riviera for 14 nights in the Caribbean. We are paying he same $$$ as we would spend on Regent for 7 nights (this includes us having to buy the alcohol package). Oceania also has specials that include internet and tips (and, many TA's pay the tips for you).

I definitely consider myself to be a Regent loyalist but do not recommend Regent for everyone (not even ourselves). My suggestion is to do the math and decide for yourselves. Both cruise lines are wonderful but do not necessarily fit the desires of all passengers.

P.S. When the Explorer comes out in 2016, I doubt if I will recommending Oceania's Marina or Riviera as the Explorer will be the ship at sea (according to Regent top management).

Edited by Travelcat2

LindaM,

As long as I can remember and I'm a long time Regent passenger, La Veranda and then Sette Mare had the same set-up - buffet plus a main course menu.

In the past when Formal was FORMAL, La Veranda was not.

I agree with Rachel . . .I suspect that non-blue jeans will pass muster.

Anyway, give it a try!

Peggy

It is really bothering me that I don't remember a menu for dinner in La Veranda. Did we walk in, and to the right, there were some "sample" entrees where we chose what we wanted, and they brought it to us?

There were definitely women wearing white jeans in the evening on our recent cruise. Not my thing. I only wear jeans on the ranch at home. There are way more comfortable outfits than jeans! A cute sundress, or some stretchy palazzo pants and top. But they were there in jeans, and no one complained. So I think as long as they aren't blue jeans, you would probably be fine.

My issue is that I wanted to walk in and have a quick dinner, without having to change after an excursion. I didn't want to have to change, especially if we got back late. I'll work something out!

LindaM,

My guess is that if you are in confirmation with the post 6pm dress code (no blue jeans or shorts), you'll be fine.

I don't remember "samples" but I could be wrong here - we sat down and the waiter brought a menu and then we walked to the buffet area and picked what we wanted. At times we told the waiter we were fine with only the buffet (hardy appetizers, salad, cheeses and dessert) and would not order a main course. Not a big deal.

Pick what you want, eat it and leave. Drinks, wine if you like and off you go.

I don't think it's a big deal.

Peggy

It is really bothering me that I don't remember a menu for dinner in La Veranda. Did we walk in, and to the right, there were some "sample" entrees where we chose what we wanted, and they brought it to us?

There was definitely a menu most nights. It looked very similar to the current Sette mare menu. You went up to the buffet and got starters and salads, but you ordered pasta and main courses off the menu, same as now.

Occasionally it was all buffet,but that was extremely rare. I remember one night on our Norway cruise where we got back very late from excursions that it was totally buffet (and the dress code was relaxed). And that is back when there were true formal nights.

I am looking forward to hearing about the Explorer and the itenary she will have. O has has some very positive feedback and we are very tempted to try them.

Hi -- really think you should consider a "local" cruise on the Riviera. You can have a lovely Vista or Oceania suite for a reasonable cost (1,000 - 1,500 sq. ft. with 1 1/2 or 2 bathrooms) for a price lower than you would imagine (but you need to book way in advance as these suites book out quickly!)

In terms of the Explorer, booking should begin early next year. I should learn more in 3 months or so - contact me and I'll let you know what I've learned.

Hope you are well and enjoying life as usual:-)

In terms of La Veranda/Sette Mari. This dining venue is just as Rachel described. There has been one night where they did a Russian buffet. They tried to accommodate passengers that needed to leave the ship at 5:30 p.m. and others that did not get back to the ship until 10:00 p.m.

In terms of dress code, with the exception of those of us who did not receive luggage and the passengers arriving back to the ship 10:00 p.m. or later, the dress code is in force. "No Jeans" is repeated twice on the daily Passages. There is no room for misinterpretation. Again, this is a choice. Dress jeans are permitted on Oceania but not Regent.

Edited by Travelcat2

We've been on O's Regatta, one of their smaller ships. While it is elegant and the food imho is somewhat better than RSSC (not that RSSC is bad, actually quite good), the standard balcony cabins are much smaller than Voyager. You should enjoy cruising on either line.

Though I appreciate what you are saying, I have to ask: is there any validity to the idea that those who pay for luxury cruises have expectations in line with the amount they paid for the cruise, and therefore have significantly more opportunity to be disappointed? This is not to mention the idea that those who can afford luxury cruising already have a heightened sense of what they value and are used to -- a more discriminating taste level, shall we say (unless they are cruising on a luxury line because they have recently won the lottery.)

I don't think that there is anyone but you that can answer that question. Not everybody is looking for the same things. I find that the things that attract me to Regent are (1) not being nickled and dimed for everything -- we took a Disney cruise and at the end the bill at the end of the cruise made the Disney cruise about as expensive as Regent including all those charges for bottles of water; (2) the rooms all have balconies (well almost all) which really adds to my enjoyment; (3) we find that our fellow cruisers have a lot in common with us and we've met some really good friends on our cruises; (4) we drink so the alcohol included is a big plus -- you often have discussions about whether or not the "all included" works for people who do not drink -- again that decision is up to them; and finally (4) we really like Regent's itineraries. Only you can decide whether or not the upscale pricing includes things which are of value to you. As far as expectations go -- I have found that all cruise lines have passengers who are equally disgruntled with things whatever they paid for their tickets. And the OP is correct -- some people are just never happy with anything. Regent works for us so we stay with Regent. If it didn't we'd find another way to travel. But one big thing I forgot is that the Regent ships are smaller. We went to one port that had to tender and one cruise line was so large that we went ashore and came back and they were still tendering their passengers to the dock. Some of those ships are HUGE.

Edited by ChristyVoltron
Adding something