Caribbean Princess Tug Assist in Port Everglades

goldencruiser

Hello All,

When I was watching Caribbean Princess pull out of port everglades today, I noticed that there seemed to be a tug boat pushing her bow even though they were doing work on the thrusters all day, and have been doing work for the past few weeks it has seemed. Then when CB was done with the tug boat, she radioed thanking the tug for coming out so quickly to assist in the maneuver. I am starting to reconsider booking her for my upcoming cruise, so hopefully she will be fixed soon!

Goldencruiser

I watched the CB do her 90 degree turn to line up with the port entrance. The tug was nearby the port bow but didn't have to push the ship as her port bow thrusters did the job.

Enjoy your cruise when the time comes!

Norris

Bow thrusters are in the center of the hull and can push water out either side. No port and starboard thrusters, just thrusters!! The tug could just be "on standby" if there has been repair work undertaken, in case repairs failed upon stress of actual work.

I have seen tugs assist other ships in FLL. Often if the port is busy or crowded or it is windy, tugs can be used to make sure a ship docks/leaves safely.

Something that big can do a lot of damage and it is far better to get help occasionally than to take a chance and "hope of the best".

As for choosing not to sail her, I think that would be a mistake. She is a fine ship having sailed on her myself.

Hello All,

When I was watching Caribbean Princess pull out of port everglades today, I noticed that there seemed to be a tug boat pushing her bow even though they were doing work on the thrusters all day, and have been doing work for the past few weeks it has seemed. Then when CB was done with the tug boat, she radioed thanking the tug for coming out so quickly to assist in the maneuver. I am starting to reconsider booking her for my upcoming cruise, so hopefully she will be fixed soon!

Goldencruiser

There's a current thread discussing the Caribbean's bow thruster problems:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060191

Hello All,

Goldencruiser

They have been working on the thruster for a few weeks now.

Why would you want to cancel your cruise because of the thruster issue?