Is self serve laundry ever coming to NCL?

pokerpro5

Frankly, a self-service laundry is about the last thing I look for in booking a cruise.

I question the blanket statement that most other lines offer this.

As to the pizza thing, can you imagine the number of half eaten pizzas if there was no $5.00 charge. The charge is there to dissuade people from frivolously

ordering them.

Let's see, "Why don't we order once of each. They are free."

Since most of the food on board is free, the idea that "paying for food to dissuade frivolous ordering" doesn't make sense. Certainly there is way too much wasted food on board and this drives up the cost of cruising for everyone. I'm not sure why people don't see that as throw away almost a full plate of food in the buffet.

It's disappointing to find out that there is no self service laundry on NCL. I've only been on two cruises before and both ships had it. We cruised on Disney and Carnival. There weren't any fights in the laundry areas. Nobody left clothes unattended for hours. On my last cruise, about five people came in to see if the machines were available, so it looks like there are quite a few people who use them.

We usually pack light and do laundry once during our vacations. It is good to know that NCL at least offers a fill-your-bag service because there is no way I would ever pay their price-per-item fees. My husband and I will definitely pack with this in mind. It just seems like if Carnival and Disney can make it work without mass destruction and mayhem, then NCL could too. I think it's definitely a way for them to make more money, which is their choice.

I am excited about our cruise though. The Getaway looks like an amazing ship. Honestly, I would rather pay them $28 to wash my clothes. I just hope the schedule works and the laundry bag will hold what we need washed.

Edited by TNcruising02

It's disappointing to find out that there is no self service laundry on NCL. I've only been on two cruises before and both ships had it. We cruised on Disney and Carnival. There weren't any fights in the laundry areas. Nobody left clothes unattended for hours. On my last cruise, about five people came in to see if the machines were available, so it looks like there are quite a few people who use them.

We usually pack light and do laundry once during our vacations. It is good to know that NCL at least offers a fill-your-bag service because there is no way I would ever pay their price-per-item fees. My husband and I will definitely pack with this in mind. It just seems like if Carnival and Disney can make it work without mass destruction and mayhem, then NCL could too. I think it's definitely a way for them to make more money, which is their choice.

I am excited about our cruise though. The Getaway looks like an amazing ship. Honestly, I would rather pay them $28 to wash my clothes. I just hope the schedule works and the laundry bag will hold what we need washed.

The $28 wouldn't be that bad if:

1) The bag wasn't made of thin paper and rips easily when you try to stuff it.

2) They do a very poor job -- much inferior to when you pay per item (though they don't tell you this when they run the specials.)

As someone else said, it's like they just rinsed your clothes with no detergent. That's how they came out looking and smelling when I did it on my last cruise.

This time around, I will preemptively complain (that is, about the prior time) and ask them to ensure that my clothes are properly washed. I'll report back to see if this works. I have a feeling that they just overstuff the machines when these promos run, because so many people are taking advantage of it at the same time, and they have no other way to get it done on time.

The $28 wouldn't be that bad if:

1) The bag wasn't made of thin paper and rips easily when you try to stuff it.

2) They do a very poor job -- much inferior to when you pay per item (though they don't tell you this when they run the specials.)

As someone else said, it's like they just rinsed your clothes with no detergent. That's how they came out looking and smelling when I did it on my last cruise.

This time around, I will preemptively complain (that is, about the prior time) and ask them to ensure that my clothes are properly washed. I'll report back to see if this works. I have a feeling that they just overstuff the machines when these promos run, because so many people are taking advantage of it at the same time, and they have no other way to get it done on time.

Those things would bother me too. Before I read this thread, I thought all ships had self-laundry. I know it's not a big deal to people who never do laundry while on vacation, but I can definitely relate to the people who do since that is what our family usually does too.

Edited by TNcruising02

Airlines create the laundry problem with bag limitations !!

We drove to the port with a total of 7 bags .

No need for laundry .

The cruise line will give you all luggage tags you want for FREE . :D:D

Don't Hate the Cruise-line cuz the Airline screwed ya . :eek:

J.M.H.O.

If people need an extra bag and can't afford to pay for it, maybe they shall not cruise?

We have done a short cruise, only five nights, with only carry-on and we had formal clothes with us.

Here's a good resource for those looking for ships with self serve laundry.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1614

Lines WITH self-serve Laundry:

• Azamara
  • Carnival
  • Crystal
  • Cunard
  • Disney
  • Oceania
  • Princess
  • Regent Seven Seas
  • Seabourn
  • Uniworld Boutique River Crusie Collection

Lines WITHOUT Self Serve Laundry:

• AmaWaterways
  • Avalon Waterways
  • Celebrity
  • Costa
  • Island Windjammers
  • Lindblad Expeditions
  • MSC
  • NCL
  • Paul Gaugin Cruises
  • Royal Caribbean
  • Windstar

Lines with Some ships WITH and Others WITHOUT-See the link above for more info:

• American Cruise Lines
  • Holland America
  • Viking

Thanks a lot for the info!

Especially for those of us who don't ever check luggage anymore. Amazing how much you can stuff into carryon when you pack properly.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

How long does it take to dry your tuxedo after you've worn it in the pool?;)

I can't imagine having enough room in a carry-on (only) for a whole week.

I can't believe someone would base their cruise choice on whether there was laundry service available. To each their own, though.

Got to say, I agree that the more and more of us who travel with carry on luggage only (I figure anything over a 10-day cruise would be right where I would draw the line between checked luggage only and bigger suitcases that would be checked). It's just too much of a hassle to haul that much luggage with you (plus the checked luggage fees).

A few weeks ago, the wife and I were able to take carry ons only for a 7 day cruise. We were fine. Never needed laundry service and had clean clothes all the time.

Depends on how you pack. Not having to pack a gown or a suit/tux makes a big difference, too.

Cruise ships evolve over time... the NCL Star had a movie theater and a chapel prior to its July 2011 remodel which added 46 new cabins to the 12th deck. The self-serve laundry facilities of the days gone bye have met the same fate being converted into revenue producing cabins.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem with the bag specials is that the return the clothes to you, just in time for you to pack clean clothes for the trip home (on a 7 day). To really make it work, you'd have send the clothes that you wore on day 1 and day 2 out on day 3 in the hope that you would get it back by day 5 and wear it on day 6 and 7. Seems it would be easier to just put in a few more outfits. Or buy a few souvenir shirts.

Honestly, we've done just as well to just pack a small thing of Woolite, wash the clothes in the sink, and let them drip dry in the shower. I don't need sterile clothing...just enough to get the smell and dirt off.

I didn't read all the posts, but the included (non-fee) food is my #1 complaint with NCL. Self service laundry wouldn't even make my list. For the right cruise price, we can dine in specialty restaurants nightly. I have zero interest in doing my laundry on vacation though.

I think everyone has different things that they do on vacation. Some people like to spend an hour to do a load of laundry in order to pack less and have fresh clothes. Other people enjoy things like dressing up on formal night. I have zero interest in dressing up on formal night, but can respect that many people love that part of the cruise. If they did away with formal night, I wouldn't care.

I think I will just pack enough so that I don't have to worry about washing clothes since it would do no good to have the bag of laundry returned to me at the end of my trip. I usually wear two outfits a day. One during the day because we work out in the morning, then I change in the evening.

I went on Carnival in the fall and was excited to see laundry facilites with iron would be available as we were flying in so my packing was limited and I might have to wash a few things. Except for my very first cruise, I have always just driven to the port so can bring whatever I want. But then I boarded the ship and saw the laundry room. It was gross. The iron had scorch marks and would have left marks on anything I tried to iron. There was clothing strewn about and laundry detergent all over the machines and floor.

I went on Carnival in the fall and was excited to see laundry facilites with iron would be available as we were flying in so my packing was limited and I might have to wash a few things. Except for my very first cruise, I have always just driven to the port so can bring whatever I want. But then I boarded the ship and saw the laundry room. It was gross. The iron had scorch marks and would have left marks on anything I tried to iron. There was clothing strewn about and laundry detergent all over the machines and floor.

and Carnival charges about $15 per bag of laundry with I think 5 for $45 or so. no reason to waste my cruise time on laundry when someone else will do it...and as a Platinum I get mine for free on NCL...

and its never an hour to do the wash...at least almost 2.

Edited by smeyer418

I went on a Carnival cruise in June and the laundry facilities were fine. There weren't any clothes all over the place. The only thing was that the change machine was out of coins, so I had to go to guest services. Other than that, doing laundry on the ship was uneventful. It took 30 minutes to wash the cloths. Then I divided them up into two dryers for 30 minutes.

Edited by TNcruising02

We use self service laundry - it is the sink and a portable clothesline. It really works great. But we are also Platinum and get one bag of free laundry service each. But we rarely use this for any cruise 7 days or less.

I don't mind not having a laundry room - having experienced this when DH and I were in college and newly married, I cannot imagine the hassle on vacation!