What to Take Off Ship for Excursions and What to Keep it In

TheDivineMrsM

backpack, tote bag, purse, fanny pack lol, pocket...

What do you normally put stuff in when you're out for a day?

For those trips we'd probably bring 1 small backpack to share amongst family. Inside would have sunblock, money, cruise cards, sunglasses, hats and maybe a small snack(granola bars) or water bottle. Depending on the excursion we may need a towel, but sometimes those are provided.

We used to use a large beach tote to carry everything in. But with beach towels, water bottles, sun block, etc., it was a lot for one person (me) to carry. So, a couple of years ago, I bought each of us a packable backpack. It's so much easier when the load is divided up. ;)

A small backpack works best for us. Take with you - ID, cruise card (on a lanyard), surf safe, International Translator, waterproof disposable camera, surf shoes, sunblock, sunglasses, collapsable umbrella (for sun or rain), water bottle, towel

Surf Safe - http://www.fuertecases.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WSurfSafe&Category_Code=WITZ

surfsafe1_zps662f4c92.jpg

International Translator - https://www.kwikpoint.com/international-translators/

[/url]

IT_Passport_BK_PRESS_00111_REV_zps4a1afc44.jpg

IT_Passport_FR_PRESS_00111_zpsea834856.jpg

Edited by Calgon1
cause I can't spell . . .

Take the minimum...towel, sunscreen, a bit of cash and/or credit card (preferrably, not the same one linked to your shipboard account)....put it in a tote or backpack...you can leave that stuff on whatever mode of transportation you're taking to the excursion.

If a male in your party has a velcroed pocket on swim trunks, you can stick everything in there....water doesn't hurt plastic..like credit cards or your ship's room key....or, even, cash! Your shorts/tees/towel is fine on shore, or boat or bus.

No food, unless it's factory sealed, can be taken off the ship in any port.

Do they really search everyone's belongings coming off the ship?? Wow, that seems that would take forever for people to disembark. Does this really happen? So if someone at breakfast wanted to wrap up a few croissants and bring them in their backpack to eat while walking around town at a port they can't do this? And everyone's bags get searched getting off the ship? :confused:

Excuse my ignorance but I have not cruised in 25 years and don't remember what happened when we got off the ship when docked in the ports.

Just returned from Oasis 6/21-6/28/14 Western Caribbean

I think it depends on the port. Labadee they did not. Falmouth and Cozumel they did. If you had a bag they looked through it and removed fruit and unsealed drinks. Coming back aboard all three ports had full security screening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll be going on a snorkel excursion at one port and a dolphin encounter at another port. What items do we take with us from the ship? I am thinking the minimum of stuff but then what do we carry it in?

Bring money, C.C., Some kind of carry bag, & camera, don't forget water.

Do they really search everyone's belongings coming off the ship?? Wow, that seems that would take forever for people to disembark. Does this really happen? So if someone at breakfast wanted to wrap up a few croissants and bring them in their backpack to eat while walking around town at a port they can't do this? And everyone's bags get searched getting off the ship? :confused:

Excuse my ignorance but I have not cruised in 25 years and don't remember what happened when we got off the ship when docked in the ports.

I could be wrong, but I don't think having a few croissants (or some other type of baked item) would send up any red flags. I believe the restrictions apply primarily to fruits and vegetables. You're more likely to have a problem carrying off a banana or an apple than a croissant. We've been to Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean ports, and never noticed anyone being searched to see if they were bringing food off of the ship.

Sunblock, maybe mosquito repellent, cash in mixed small bills $200 minimum for 2 people, 1 CC, your sea pass (ship ID), Port Officer's contact info (in case you miss the ship) and a passport or at least picture ID per person.

I feel these are the essentials anything beyond this is your call based on excursions, personal plans, etc.

Sunblock and Mosquito repellent are expensive in ports so we find it essential. I paid $50 at Paradise Island in the Bahamas for sunblock once because we forgot it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
I could be wrong, but I don't think having a few croissants (or some other type of baked item) would send up any red flags. I believe the restrictions apply primarily to fruits and vegetables. You're more likely to have a problem carrying off a banana or an apple than a croissant. We've been to Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean ports, and never noticed anyone being searched to see if they were bringing food off of the ship.

Since it's against the law in most ports to bring in fresh food (including breads, dairy, fruit and veggies) it doesn't really matter if anyone checks. It's against the law.

It's every cruisers job to check and understand the immigration and customs laws of every country they visit.

In one post it says to bring a credit card with you on an excursion, but NOT the one associated with your onboard expenses. Why?

It is up to you which one you bring. We have found that sometimes while vacaioning out of the country, and sometimes in the US, the hold the ship/resort puts on the credit card we use for incidentals makes it harder to use it in other places.

This could be a problem for me then as i have only got one debit card and no credit cards. As long as you do not over spend i can't see how they can stop you using your card on the ship for your on board account and in port also.

This could be a problem for me then as i have only got one debit card and no credit cards. As long as you do not over spend i can't see how they can stop you using your card on the ship for your on board account and in port also.

A better option might be to get a pre-loaded credit card for purchases while in port. Just make sure you keep track of the remaining balance on the card.;)

In one post it says to bring a credit card with you on an excursion, but NOT the one associated with your onboard expenses. Why?

The reason why is in case it gets lost or stolen. If you use a different card then at least your shipboard account will still be okay.

Another example is on land vacations, by DH and I will carry different credit cards. That way if one of us gets pickpocketed (or purse stolen, etc.) we will still have a credit card with us that is good.

We'll be going on a snorkel excursion at one port and a dolphin encounter at another port. What items do we take with us from the ship? I am thinking the minimum of stuff but then what do we carry it in?

Rick Steve's Civita Day Tripper back pack is light weight and holds a remarkable amount of stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We tend to bring one bag -- either my tote bag or my husband's backpack -- on shore. The contents would vary based upon our plans for the day, but on a typical day we might have sunscreen, towels, a small camera, pre-packaged snacks (he's Diabetic and sometimes needs something NOW), and one bottle of water for us to share. We also have a small first aid kit that has been used more often than I'd care to remember.

We always choose clothes with pockets for shore excursions, and we keep our ship ID, credit card, and a small amount of cash on our bodies. Typically my husband's pockets are more secure (for shore excursions, he favors swim trunks with hidden pockets "inside" or zipped pockets ... or cargo shorts with a secure buttoned pocket), so he carries the credit card and most of our cash; however, I also keep a bit of cash, the idea being that it's unlikely we'd BOTH lose money. Sometimes we put our credit card and cash into a small ziplock bag and put a rubber band around that ziplock -- it's hard for someone to slip a rubber-banded item out of your pocket without you realizing it. A watch is also essential so you'll be SURE to be back to the ship well ahead of sail time. Don't ever cut that close.

Do not bring the credit card with which you checked into the cruise. Pickpockets love travelers, and IF someone were to steal your credit card, you'd have to call and cancel that card . . . and then you'd also have to go to Guest Relations on the ship and change the credit card, which would be a hassle. If you don't have two credit cards, picking up a small pre-paid gift card for use ashore is a good idea. They sell them at my credit union, and I can get them from my Discover card with my reward points.

Translation cards are completely unnecessary. Cruise ships don't sail to off-the-beaten-track locations, and the people who live/work in those areas make their living from tourists. Not only do they speak at least enough English to direct you to a bathroom or a bar, you'll probably see signs in English.

Do not take food off the ship. It's not the ship's people who care about it -- it's the island police. They will be visible on the docks, and they may ask to search bags, or they may have sniffing dogs. While people do get by with this small crime on a daily basis, the fines can be stiff IF you happen to be the person who's caught.

In contrast, the ship cares about what you bring back onboard. They will x-ray your bag as you return, and what they're looking for is alcohol. That's about revenue: They want you to buy your drinks from them, not bring them back from a local grocery store.

Do not bother to take extra clothes. You're only going to be on shore a few hours, and everyone in ports is dressed very casually -- typically many people are still wearing swim suits /cover ups.

Do not bother with lots of drinks. Cold drinks can be purchased from street vendors, usually for only $1 or so.

Edited by MrsPete

• 2 months later...
I take a small back pack with sea pass and small cash

Camera

Band aids and if needed passport

Just curious, when would you choose to take your passport on an excursion? Thx

Because if you miss the ship, you will need to do some international travel to catch up. Or to give up and go home. Passport (or equivalent documentation) required in either case.

sunscreen/sunblock, bottle water, towel, swimsuit cover up or change of clothes. camera, snack, money and credit card. I would use a water proof case for the cc,money and your id, oh your ship card, and then Just use a backpack or tote for the rest. Most places where you do excursions have the lockers that you can rent.

I know that this question was posted a while back.

No your bag might not get searched but a cute little puppy dog, may well come and st down beside you then a man or woman will want to look in your bag.