Tipping Cab Drivers in Cozumel

jlindemer

Last year we had two actually ASK for a tip, telling us their families needed to eat. They will also tell you they have no change, so be sure to have small bills with you to pay them!

I wish the tour/excursion/beach places all had their own drivers to meet passengers at the pier. I hated Cozumel because we were constantly bombarded for tips or to purchase something. When we go this year, we're going straight to an AI and back, there will be no walking around town shopping, they blew it for me spending any money like that.

We are headed to Mr. Sanchos. The fare will be $15 for the 4 of us. I think we usually give them a $20. However, when I read that it might be an insult to them I thought I better check with my CC peeps.

Definitely not an insult. They LOVE tips.

We usually don't tip when paying in US dollars, unless they provide exceptional service. The 10:1 exchange rate they use over paying the fare for the same destination in pesos gives them extra anyway. (For instance- an $8 posted fare at the cruise ship would be 80 pesos if you look at their rate sheets- which is just a bit more than $6.) If we do tip, it is just a buck or two.

I wish the tour/excursion/beach places all had their own drivers to meet passengers at the pier

The taxi union prevents this. If you are friends with a local, many will be scared to drive you in their car for fear of the union.

Edited by skittl1321

Definitely not an insult. They LOVE tips.

We usually don't tip when paying in US dollars, unless they provide exceptional service. The 10:1 exchange rate they use over paying the fare for the same destination in pesos gives them extra anyway. (For instance- an $8 posted fare at the cruise ship would be 80 pesos if you look at their rate sheets- which is just a bit more than $6.) If we do tip, it is just a buck or two.

The taxi union prevents this. If you are friends with a local, many will be scared to drive you in their car for fear of the union.

Really? Wow, I always assumed that the peso fare was going to be equivalent to what the charge is in US $.

For a trip from Puerta Maya to downtown San Miguel we give an extra $2. But make sure you know what the fare is. They have a board at Puerta Maya that shows downtown is $8. But when you want to go back, it's $10.

DSC06042_zps0b147c3a.jpg

Edited by forwardcabin

This is confusing! :confused: Never seen taxi rates posted in anything but US Dollars at the cruise pier taxi lines.

I tip taxi drivers world wide, except for Japan where they will politely return the tip; 10-15-20% depending upon the service and fare. I agree with the advice to carry small bills - cab drivers all over the world never seem to have change when you try to pay with a large bill (especially those crooks in Philly! :mad:)

Good luck! :)

This is confusing! Never seen taxi rates posted in anything but US Dollars at the cruise pier taxi lines.

It's posted that way because that is what cruisers have. They don't change those signs with the exchange rate :)

The taxi drivers rate sheets (which they are supposed to carry with them) are in pesos. If you happen to have pesos, it is a better deal. We never exchange when we cruise, only for land trips. Compared to some places coz taxis are a great deal, so a few dollars doesn't really matter. We'll use the pesos if we have them though.

I tip them as I would a taxi driver in the states. They deserve to make money too. I don't worry about the exchange rate or other tiny variables. We will usually tip them about $5 extra for a short ride, a little more if it's a longer ride. We usually tip in US$ while on a cruise. (Pesos on a land vacation).

Definitely an accepted custom!!!