Galveston carry on wine

nascar junkie

Am sailing Navagator of the Seas out of Galveston in July 2014. How strict are they about the 2 wine bottles per cabin if me and my wife both carry on 2 bottles in each of our carry on bags? I know the policy is 2 per cabin but would like a little extra. Also, what is the cheapest glass and bottle of wine on the ship. We are planning to buy the 7 bottle package but may run short.;)

We haven't sailed from Galveston since the new wine policy, so I can't speak from experience there. DH and I have commented each time we cruised last year that we could have easily brought 4 bottles, with 2 bottles apiece in our respective carry-on bags. (We actually have not done this, but we did figure out that we could.)

We've cruised 3 times since wine is allowed to bring aboard (from San Juan, New Orleans, & Port Canaveral.) We always went through security before check-in and the wine was never questioned. No effort was made to figure out who was in what cabin with whom during that X-ray process. Our carry-on with the 2 bottles of wine was x-rayed, but never opened or inspected. I'd say they aren't very strict.

Judy

This will not work in Galveston if they will still be doing the same thing when Navigator starts sailing again. I've been out of Galveston twice, once on Navigator, since the new 2 bottle limit was allowed. Both times, I was directed to a table where 2 guys were writing down the cabin number for everyone who brought on wine. We had no trouble at all with each bringing on 2 bottles in Port Canaveral. I'll be on NOS Feb. 23 and will report back unless someone else comments on the Galveston policy before that. The cheapest bottle of wine is $27 plus 15% gratuity.Cheapest glass is either $6.50 or $7 plus 15%.

Edited by 39august

Thanks guys...Anyone know what the cheapest white wine is per bottle and glass?:confused:

Looking at a picture of the regular bar menu (not the complete set of wines served in the main dining room), the cheapest whites they have were:

• Chardonnay - Caliterra, "Tributo," Casablanca, Chile ($8/glass, $32/bottle)
  • Pinot Grigio - Danzante, Venezie, Italy ($8/glass, $33/bottle)
  • Adventurous - Castello del Poggio, Moscato, Pavia ($8/glass, $30/bottle)

I like the Danzante. It's a light wine and quite decent for one of Royal Caribbean's cheaper selections.

Edited by Daghis

Just sailed Enchantment out of Port Canaveral and took 2 bottles in my carryon. No one ever asked what stateroom I was in. Not sure I would try it, but I can see both adults in one stateroom carrying on without question. Corkscrew and wine glass supplied by our cabin steward when we asked the first day. She also kept the Chardonay on ice.

Edited by nik23

We have never done it , but have heard if you go through the scanner a few passengers apart that it would work. Please don't anyone flame me...I have only heard of this...

I thought every one on one set sail paper had to go through together

I thought every one on one set sail paper had to go through together

Well, not really, although that's probably what happens most of the time. The people on one Set Sail paper do have to enter the building together, but as the line forms for security screening, people can easily get separated and mixed up. If it takes someone a long time to get their bags in order and up there on the belt, another person with simpler stuff might step ahead and proceed. Once DH let a lady and child go after me, but before him because she urgently needed the bathroom. Or somebody (or a bag) might get called back to go through again and get inserted in the middle of your group. So it's not uncommon for people to get mixed up at security. Also, if they have more than one line, you could have people on the same set sail pass in both lines.

When you go up to the counter for check-in, I believe you do need to have everyone together unless there is some extenuating circumstance.

Judy

Can you bring your own corkscrew?

Yes. I'd suggest putting in your checked bag.

For those who feel the rules don't apply to them, this is a fairly recent privilege and can be removed as quickly as it was granted if people are insistent on taking advantage.

My husband and I are going on Oasis in April. We have 2 balcony cabins one for us and one for our 2 Tweens. Can we each bring on 2 bottles since we have 2cabins?

Yes. Just make sure that you and your S/O are each assigned to a room. After you get on board, resume normal sleeping arrangements.

If Galveston is like it used to be, you go through security first and then to the counter for check-in. I've checked in the luggage and have gone through security while DH parked the car, but we did have to go the counter together to get our sea pass cards. We're on Navigator during Spring Break. I wonder how much it will slow things down for someone to record the cabin number of every person bringing wine....makin' a list and checkin' it twice...gonna find out who's naughty and nice.

But here is my real question.....can we bring box/bag wine instead of wine in a bottle? We sometimes prefer that because it packs and travels easier....and it's lighter to carry in a carryon. Any thoughts on that?

Edited by J & G

If Galveston is like it used to be, you go through security first and then to the counter for check-in. I've checked in the luggage and have gone through security while DH parked the car, but we did have to go the counter together to get our sea pass cards. We're on Navigator during Spring Break. I wonder how much it will slow things down for someone to record the cabin number of every person bringing wine....makin' a list and checkin' it twice...gonna find out who's naughty and nice.

But here is my real question.....can we bring box/bag wine instead of wine in a bottle? We sometimes prefer that because it packs and travels easier....and it's lighter to carry in a carryon. Any thoughts on that?

Only problem is that most boxed wine is more than 750 ml.