How much do you feel the rocking of the ship?

Flytko--she'll be leaving at the end of Jan, I think. We've sailed on the Triumph 2X now (getting ready for our 3rd in 2 weeks!!!!:D) and only in the summer months, when the sea wasn't terribly bad. Not glassy smooth but not rough either.

I'm really hoping this trip goes well for her. It's her first ever cruise and I want things to turn out well for her. :)

On all our cruises, we've tried to get on deck 6 or 7 because we know that's more or less midship and you won't feel the rocking of the boat too badly.

HOWEVER....my mother is going on her first ever cruise in January and she's booked into a porthole room on deck 2. So how bad is the rocking down there?:confused:

I've already warned her to make sure she takes seasick meds or one of those patch things with her, just in case.

The lower you are, the least rocking you feel. If she is mid-deck, this is the best place for motion sickness (not to get). Good that she'll have a window, she should never be in an inside cabin.

The issue with the deck 2 is if she's close to the engine or anchor, she can hear it or feel the vibration, so check it out for her, the cabin location.

We have had three rooms on deck 2 with no problems. It is less motion the lower you are in the ship. The only place i ever feel a little motion is in the dining room. She can take some patches or over the counter meds with her to help. I also take some ginger cookies with us and the wrist bands. . I think the key to not getting sick is to not have an empty stomach.. NOt a problem!

We have had three rooms on deck 2 with no problems. It is less motion the lower you are in the ship. The only place i ever feel a little motion is in the dining room. She can take some patches or over the counter meds with her to help. I also take some ginger cookies with us and the wrist bands. . I think the key to not getting sick is to not have an empty stomach.. NOt a problem!

Speaking of the dining room, my concern is enjoying first night Steakhouse dinner without tossing my cookies.

Any idea if the water is rough between Fort Lauderdale and Key West in December ?

Thank you and hoping it's okay to post on this thread

Lyannea

I'll let you know after next week. I'm in the front of deck 1. I picked it because there were no rooms across from me and no room on one side of me. I guess I'll find out if the anchor is worse than a bunch of neighbors.

You can feel at least some movement all the time. You are on a moving vessel, floating in fluid. Occasionally you will have a day that it is so calm you feel very little, but that is rare in my experience.

Only once has it been bad enough for me to take real notice, typically its just a gentle side to side sway. The time it was very bad, we were coming back across the gulf into a cold front and the wind was howling and seas were over 20'. That was pretty impressive. We had blue water up to deck 4 on occasion.

Boy how I wished that that were actually true -- when we sailed a Western Caribbean itinerary on Caribbean Princess, we felt absolutely no ship motion whatsoever, in spite of bad weather (not horrible -- just rainy with some choppy seas). All the ship did was vibrate like crazy -- no pitch, no roll. Very disappointing.

IMO Bonine is the best over the counter motion sickness meds out there. Does not cause drowsiness. I start taking it 24 hours before boarding and then daily. It worked great for me. My friend however has to use the much stronger RX patches. The patch can have side affects though. Also what ever she uses have her take it for a few days after getting off the ship. Her world might still be rocking. Mine always does if I don't. Also with her having a port hole and being that low if there are high seas she very well might get a free show. The waves can and do hit up that high and the water is so blue hitting the window. It is fun to watch.

There are dozens of threads about seasickness and meds. You can also Google it. Loads of info.

Highly recommend Ginger Root. It's pretty much cured me.

Having said that, yes, there is more motion in the bow. There is more motion higher up, but the bow cabins aren't great IF you have a tendency toward motion sickness.

Just because you're at sea doesn't mean you'll be seasick!

And I do hope you realize that every single person feels differently from every other person even on the same sailing, and every sailing experiences different sea conditions from every other sailing and every ship handles motion differently.

There are no across-the-board, definitive answers.

The problem is that no one spends 24 hours a day in their cabin.

I am prone to motion sickness and I always feel the movement even in calm seas in the enclosed aft dining room, while my aft balcony cabin is okay because I can see the movement as well as feel it. That balances out my inner ear. It's also why I'll never have an inside cabin again. That's not to say that feeling the movement means that I'm going to get sick, but I am very aware of it even when others aren't.

For me, it is crucial to sit facing the way the ship is moving whenever I am in an enclosed area like the dining room and show lounge. Knowing why I get sick and negating it is much more helpful than medication, although I do take a bonine a day for prevention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As she's in a porthole room on Deck 2, all the way Forward, there is a chance she may hear the anchor when tendering and various noises when docking. If she wakes up early on port days, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

ships rarely use anchors

The worst night we had on a cruise ship was when the rough seas had the ship rocking so that the bed pitched from head to toe rather than side to side. That was a weird feeling that my inners just did not adapt to very well. :(

Iplaywithstring, i'm not sure how rocky the ship is on the lower decks I've only cruised deck 8, i'm responding to the comment about having your mom taking seasick medicine for the patch. In November 2012 I took my mom on her very first cruise, The doctor prescribed the patch, she had a severe allergic reaction, and I had no clue as to what was going on because she was hallucinating paranoid agitated she displayed almost every adverse reaction to the medication as per the medications disclaimer. Of course I had not read it. At first I thought she was just playing around with what she was seeing and trying to point out to me things that she was seeing. And it just kept getting progressively more bizarre. That peaking point was when she didn't even recognize me. She thought I was someone impersonating me and that someone had kidnap me and was trying to kidnap her. As I said it kept getting more bizarre. I thought she had a brain tumor or something. By meeting her and talking with her in the beginning of the cruise that crewmembers new something was odd. Even the medical personnel didn't have a clue. They do now. I could go on and on and on about the worst experiences of my life. But the effects seem to Peak. And then lessen. The crew on the pearl were a amazing and we got through it. But please have her doctor make sure that she is in no way allergic to the patch you will know with in the first 12 hours whether this is affecting her adversely. It's very scary so check it out before the cruise and have a wonderful wonderful time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk