Mid-Ship Cabins on Royal Princess

RS79

My wife and I are cruising the Baltic on the Royal in 4 days. We were just upgraded to a Deluxe Balcony, D409, which is in the middle of the ship - where the ship curves to accommodate the Sea Walk. Does anyone know if these balconies have a good view, and any degree of privacy? Thanks.

The view is fine. Most people aren't interested in looking at someone else's balcony so wouldn't worry about privacy (unless you're doing something you shouldn't be). I guess it depends to some degree on what you're being upgraded from.;)

Hi,

We recently cruised aboard the new Regal Princess (twin of the Royal Princess) and had a stateroom in this section. Our stateroom was a mini-suite, R415, which is located several decks above D409 (in exactly the same part of the curve). These balconies are nice because they are larger and angled. Although there is less privacy on these balconies due to the SeaWalk, this was never a problem for us. You should have more privacy than we did because you are several decks further below the SeaWalk. We really liked our stateroom and balcony.

Have a great cruise! The Royal Princess is a beautiful ship (I was on the maiden voyage last year). Also, this is an excellent itinerary (I did a similar cruise on the Emerald Princess in 2012).

Chuck

We were upgraded to the same cabin on the TransAtlantic in April. The balcony is larger due to the midships shape. No problems with people looking down from the Skywalk. The only downside is the lack of stairs midship. Enjoy!

We were upgraded to the same cabin on the TransAtlantic in April. The balcony is larger due to the midships shape. No problems with people looking down from the Skywalk. The only downside is the lack of stairs midship. Enjoy!

Good to know, thanks.

We were in B409 on the Royal, 2 decks above you, and no issue with privacy and LOVED the extended balcony!

Would book it again in a minute!

Have a great cruise!! It is a fantastic ship!

• 11 months later...

We were in D409 in January of 2014 and LOVED it. We have booked D408 for our 10 night cruise in December of this year. The balconies are quite roomy and there was no privacy issue that I could see. You get a good view too. The balconies in the other veranda rooms (maybe other than suites or mini suites) are much smaller than their older ships. I don't think you will be disappointed. Barb

My wife and I are cruising the Baltic on the Royal in 4 days. We were just upgraded to a Deluxe Balcony, D409, which is in the middle of the ship - where the ship curves to accommodate the Sea Walk. Does anyone know if these balconies have a good view, and any degree of privacy? Thanks.

Should be great--you're on the port side, so under the Seaview Bar rather than the Seawalk. We've stayed on the port side on Regal/Royal twice--once on Baja and once on Caribe. You'll be a deck or two higher, but should not be a problem from a privacy standpoint on the port side. You'll have a lovely blue glow on your balcony at night, and you'll also have one of the largest angled balconies--I think about 72 square feet from my memory. We're in Baja 417 on our Fall TA as there were no port side cabins available. We love the mid-ship mini-suites on the Royal/Regal. Good size, great storage and a larger bathroom with tub. There is also a curtain that separates the living and bedroom areas which works great when one of you want to take a nap or go to bed early. Enjoy!

Should be great--you're on the port side, so under the Seaview Bar rather than the Seawalk. We've stayed on the port side on Regal/Royal twice--once on Baja and once on Caribe. You'll be a deck or two higher, but should not be a problem from a privacy standpoint on the port side. You'll have a lovely blue glow on your balcony at night, and you'll also have one of the largest angled balconies--I think about 72 square feet from my memory. We're in Baja 417 on our Fall TA as there were no port side cabins available. We love the mid-ship mini-suites on the Royal/Regal. Good size, great storage and a larger bathroom with tub. There is also a curtain that separates the living and bedroom areas which works great when one of you want to take a nap or go to bed early. Enjoy!

Wow thanks for the heads up of the lovely blue glow. Is this on the starboard side as well? Would like the larger balcony but also like to sit out at night all that light means we'll stay where we are for both Regal trips. It's hard enough when neighbors leave the balcony light on all night, but at least you can scoot back most times from that. Overhead not so much.

Love these boards.

Wow thanks for the heads up of the lovely blue glow. Is this on the starboard side as well? Would like the larger balcony but also like to sit out at night all that light means we'll stay where we are for both Regal trips. It's hard enough when neighbors leave the balcony light on all night, but at least you can scoot back most times from that. Overhead not so much.

Love these boards.

It's not bright at all and so far above you that it doesn't interfere with enjoying your balcony at night--unlike the harsher balcony light. It is on the starboard side too but just in the area of the Seawalk.

Love these boards.

We stayed in E409 back in Feb. on the Regal, so we were one deck below. There is a dim blue glow that does help to illuminate the balcony, but I actually liked it. Here's what I noted in my previous review of our cruise:

"There is a bit of ambient light from deck lighting below & a slight blueish tinge of light from Seawalk above (barely noticeable but it might be an issue with folks in upper decks). I thought it was perfect, frankly, because I never felt the need to turn on my outside balcony light when sitting out at night; and you can always close the curtains if you must have complete darkness to sleep. But it never bothered us."

If any light source would be a nuisance to you personally, then I would avoid the room. But truthfully, it's merely a dim blue glow; it would not be as intrusive as a bright balcony light. Enjoy your cruise!

• 7 months later...
We were in B409 on the Royal, 2 decks above you, and no issue with privacy and LOVED the extended balcony!

Would book it again in a minute!

Have a great cruise!! It is a fantastic ship!

Hi LFK60,

Any chance you have balcony photos to share? I'm booking D409 for next year just for the larger balcony and would be great to see photos! Thanks.