Can phone in cabin call main land?

This is the most random question. I am asking for my husband. We are leaving on the NOS on Sunday. My husband is possibly going to have to call into an important board meeting on land. We know it will be costly, but he is curious if it's even possible. Just thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone had any experience with this...his cell will have capability to get calls.

And I know we are on vacation, but a situation just came up today and he would like to know if this is even a possibility.

Thanks for any help...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is the most random question. I am asking for my husband. We are leaving on the NOS on Sunday. My husband is possibly going to have to call into an important board meeting on land. We know it will be costly, but he is curious if it's even possible. Just thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone had any experience with this...his cell will have capability to get calls.

And I know we are on vacation, but a situation just came up today and he would like to know if this is even a possibility.

Thanks for any help...

Yes, standard rate is $8 per minute. Some C&A levels get a discount to $2 per minute. Without the discount, it would likely be less expensive to use a cell phone.

Why not do audio only skype? You can set up an account with skype before you go so that you can call any landline. I think it is $2.99 per month.

On the ship's WiFi? I wouldn't even dream of trying. Too slow and too likely to drop the call.

Every cell phone carrier has a cellular at sea program. Assuming you're in international waters, it's $2.49/minute for Verizon. AT&T seems to have a really good program, and co-markets with RCI. As stated, the phone in the cabin is close to $8.00/minute, plus gratuity (whoops, probably not, but who knows...). The cellular at sea is probably the most affordable. Bonus points if he has a company provided cell phone!

On NCL over Thanksgiving, I only paid $1.95 or $1.98 per minute from my cabin. Cell phone stayed in safe.

With Royal, you've got to be Diamond level or better to get stateroom phone calls for $2 per minute.

If the call is expected to take place on a port day, depending on how long the call is expected to take, it also may be worth seeing if one of the local hotels has a small meeting room he can use. Might be quieter and less distracting than the ship and also have decent internet.

Yup, on the ship's Wifi, on both the Oasis last Sept and Freedom last November. Absolutely no problem, and no dropped calls. Remember, audio only. I did do video as well, but only LATE at night when few people were likely to be on.

Thank you so much for all of the info! He has decided to use his cell phone and they are going to have the meeting on day when we are in Cozumel...seems to be the best place we have found cell service. Thanks for the great AT&T ideas as he has that provider!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for all of the info! He has decided to use his cell phone and they are going to have the meeting on day when we are in Cozumel...seems to be the best place we have found cell service. Thanks for the great AT&T ideas as he has that provider!

I would also have your husband confirm that his phone is enabled for international service. I had to do this to mine before I could make or receive any calls outside the US coverage area.

I'm not referring to an international coverage plan, but just enabling the phone for international service.

If he has ever made a call on the phone outside the US coverage area, then you can disregard this.

Edited by clarea