Anyone ever book your kids in a family member's room, but have them sleep in yours?

stacymills99

So there are balcony rooms for 3 people, but not 4 for the cruise we plan on booking. Our kids are 3 and 4 so I know they could both share the little pull out sofa in the 3 person balcony room. My mom is going as well. We were thinking of booking one of the kids in her room and then having them both sleep in our room (it is only meant for 3). Has anyone done this? It would save us $ over having to upgrade to the mini-suite.

Of course...it's done all the time! Just move them! They are too young to carry their own seapasses (you will carry them for them)...so you don't even have to change their room keys! Easy, peesy!

No one cares who sleeps where....so just put them wherever you feel will work best.

Edited by cb at sea

It's fine but I would plan to give the stateroom attendant an extra trip on top of the pre-paid gratuity. This means he is servicing a room for four instead of three.

I was going to try and get a close room to my mom so we would hopefully have the same attendant and give him an extra tip as well.

We did this on our first cruise. It was a family cruise, with grandparents and two families with 3 kids each. We had 3 balcony cabins near each other for the 12 of us. The oldest child from each family was booked in with the grandparents, but slept with their own family. This worked okay since the oldest child was only 8. We had him in the upper bunk, and our other 2 kids (ages 2 and 5) slept on the sofa bed with their heads at opposite ends. It worked fine. I wouldn't do the same now that they are 15, 18 and 21! :eek:

We have absolutely done this and like others suggested tipped our room steward extra. It worked out great as we had the same steward as my parents where our little one was booked so he was well taken care of.

We are planning to do this in September. We are hoping to get a mini suite for my husband and I next to (or close to) an ocean view for my mom and book our 4 year old nephew with her. It's a little cheaper that way, so we don't have to pay double occupancy for my mom. Then the kiddo can just sleep on the pull out couch. I think one night he gets to have a sleep over in Nana's room ;)

Thanks for all of your feedback. We were able to book my 3 year old seven doors down with my mom. This is going to save us a few hundred dollars.

Remember to go to the Purser's Desk as soon as you board. Tell them you need to change the access card for the 3 YO to your room. That means all his/her charges will be on the correct credit card. No one cares where the baby sleeps.

On one cruise Stewart knocks and says "your crib is here". Hmmm, I think. I don't have a baby. He says, "your daughter said you'd want to babysit so she asked for a crib to be set up in your room too". LOL... okay. It was so cute, he did turn down service for the crib, folded back the blanket, put chocolates on it.

We did this when we went on a family reunion cruise on Carnival. We had connecting cabins and other cabins near on the same deck. Cousins from different cabins were sleeping in other family members cabins on different nights. "Sleep overs" were the norm for the little kids. Helped the adults with babysitting options. It did get kinda crazy, so we did give extra tips to the room attendants.

We have done this as well..no big deal.

However, depending on how close your rooms are, you may be assigned to different muster stations. Not a huge deal, but just note that if there is an emergency and you are not with the child, the crew will take them to their muster station, not yours.

We've also done this. The muster station is a good point, and something to definitely keep in mind because if they are different, your child will have to report to their assigned station for the drill right after boarding. You also want to check in together because your child will most likely have to check in with whoever they are rooming with.

We took a large family cruise on the Carnival Breeze.

5 in our family (kids were 7 and under) and we didn't want to pay for 2 rooms. Booked our eldest in my brother's room but he stayed with us.

We didn't get his key officially changed because we were certain they wouldn't allow 5 of of us in the room? We tipped for all of the kids but never thought about tipping our steward extra, so my brother's steward got a bonus.

5 in a Carnival inside was a challenge. There was a bathroom and a bed and that was it. We were used to RCL's insides that have a sitting area, this would have been much more comfortable.