a little electrical help

mickfoxland

good morning everyone

could you help a first time Celebrity cruiser out

what type of electrical sockets are in the cabins

do they have flat American type 2 pin or round 2 pin European style?

we have to buy adaptors and don't know which to get

They have both types. The US-style sockets are 110v and the European-style are 220/240v. I usually take both type of adaptor to give more options once on board. I also take a small surge protector if I am charging any electrical equipment.

S Class ships have two American style 110V outlets and one European style 220V outlets. M class, including Infinity, have two of each. All are at the desk in the main part of the stateroom.

Edited by Lsimon

They have both types. The US-style sockets are 110v and the European-style are 220/240v. I usually take both type of adaptor to give more options once on board. I also take a small surge protector if I am charging any electrical equipment.

We purcahsed a few multi plug surge protectors that we leave in our luggage for that and also for the extra plugs. Our daughter borrowed our luggage and after her trip she commented about how great it was to have that with her and was happy that we left it in there for her.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Celebrity Infinity, OV cabin, April 2013:

P1040265_zps4d7458b1.jpg

Celebrity Summit, cabin 6030 (balcony)

BG-25.jpg

Can anyone tell me if those european ones are type C or type E/F or are those both the same thing? I am totally worried I will buy the wrong thing! If you saw how may computer cords I have that turned out to have the wrong "end" on them, you would know why I no longer trust myself to look at the picture and gues....

Thanks

Can anyone tell me if those european ones are type C or type E/F or are those both the same thing? I am totally worried I will buy the wrong thing! If you saw how may computer cords I have that turned out to have the wrong "end" on them, you would know why I no longer trust myself to look at the picture and gues....

Thanks

They are E/F type C is generally only used for items that require less than 2.5 amps

Thanks

If you are from North America, it would be safer NOT to take a European adaptor. SOME North American appliances will be ruined [at best] if plugged into the European 220v socket. If you do not have an adaptor, you cannot plug it in by accident. [Plugging a 220/240v item into a US style socket does not have the same issue.]

If you are from North America, it would be safer NOT to take a European adaptor. SOME North American appliances will be ruined [at best] if plugged into the European 220v socket. If you do not have an adaptor, you cannot plug it in by accident. [Plugging a 220/240v item into a US style socket does not have the same issue.]

Not safe? It is very safe as long as you take the simple step of checking the item you intend to use in the 220V outlet to make sure it is 220V compatible. Of course you do have to be a little careful with this as putting an item that does not say it can handle 220V power will almost always destroy it and sometimes in a flash - literally.

All electrical appliance type items, at least those sold in the USA, have something on them which indicates the type of power required. It is often in fine print on a "power block" where the plug is or on a label attached to the power cord. Most, but not all, battery, cell phone and computer charger type items and other small electronics are 220V compatible and will work fine with an adaptor but you do need to double check. Most items like hair dryers and hair irons are NOT 220V compatible unless they are special dual voltage travel models and these will have a switch that must be switched to 220V in order to use them in the 220V outlet.

As far as plugging something not compatible into the 220V outlet by mistake: I guess if one can not trust themselves to use the correct outlet then they should follow your advice. But if one is worried about such a thing then all they need to do is not leave the adaptor in the outlet but rather leave it on the plug of the related electronic or appliance.

We find that having access to the round Euro 220V outlets gives us enough outlets that we have plenty for all our chargers, alarm clock, and my DW's hair dryer without taking along a power strip. And we have the adaptors in our travel kit in any event from our trips to Europe.

Edited by Lsimon

Also if you need a extension cord just call Celebrity before you go. I needed one because of no outlet near the bed and it was waiting for me in my cabin when I arrived.

Not safe? It is very safe as long as you take the simple step of checking the item you intend to use in the 220V outlet to make sure it is 220V compatible. Of course you do have to be a little careful with this as putting an item that does not say it can handle 220V power will almost always destroy it and sometimes in a flash - literally.

Unfortunately, not everyone is that clued up and anyone can make a mistake. I have had to help friends from the US who have ruined items when on holiday and nearly had a nasty fire when I was sold an item claimed to be dual voltage [on a major online auction site] which was not. It was clear that the vendor had no idea about different voltages.