Southern Caribbean on either the Celebrity , Jewel or Adventure?

SUMMIT! (I'll be on her again next month)

Food IMHO is superior. Service, maybe just the tiniest HAIR better on Celebrity. And the Summit is kind of the test ground for new entertainment venues, which I think is a good move, since I'd say Celebrity's strong point hasn't been in the entertainment area.

If you'd indicated you were traveling w/ kids, I'd have recommended RCI.

PS: my son is mid 30's, his spouse late 20's. My DD early 30's and her spouse mid 30's. They've all been on RCI, Princess, NCL, Celebrity and Carnival and all of them at THIS point in their lives prefer Celebrity.

Edited by bighairtexan

So what's Adventure like? Is it comparable to Jewel?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Adventure is a little bigger. The big differences-it has a Royal Promenade which is about 5 stories high and about 350 feet long with shops and a bar and the cafe promenade situated in this area. It's the central hub and we love it. Jewel has a centrum. Also,,Adventure has a nice skating rink and a designated dance club. The ice skating rink has a nice professional ice show that is always great and we never miss an ice show.

Although I actually prefer the Adventure due to the above things, I choose itinerary if I have to choose between the 2. For example, Tortola is one of our favorite stops and Adventure doesn't go there.

My DW and I are going on Carnival out of San Juan in Nov. My question is on the Summitt, what's the food like, entertainment, service things to do for people in their mid 30s, if you also sailed Royal on Jewel or Adventure that would be great thanks and how does Choice air work, can you add the airfare to your booking and pay as you go.

My answer to your question is, Yes! :p

All three would be a great choice, but I am partial to the Jewel as that is the last ship we sailed the Southern Caribbean in 2013. Great ship, staff, and itinerary.

It's just me and my DW, we don't have any kids. My only thing is we don't like to dress up for dinner.

Do you mean that you don't like to dress up on formal night?

Or, that you don't want to change into slacks for the non-formal dinners, and wish to wear shorts?

well, all 3 ships have formal night, and it's pretty much the same. Very few people dress truly formal, most people dress up, but as long as you make an effort to look nice, it's fine. Or, you can seek out alternate dining for that night.

We didn't feel aqua class was worth the extra money. We chose aqua class on an Alaska cruise that we took 9 years ago. At the time you got a small plate of canapés before dinner each night, a sprig of fresh flowers in a small vase and a pillow selection. I seem to remember an "upscale " shower head and thicker bathrobes.

If you are trying to earn credits faster in order to move up in the rewards program, you do get additional credits when you are in aqua class, but of course you have paid more as well.

You might want to read up on Aqua Class amenities. Some things apparently have changed in 9 years.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/staterooms-aqua-class-stateroom

Thanks for the info, in your opinion is it worth it on the summit or are you better off going for the concierge class, I know in the end it will be my decision. I just want people's opinion so I can make a sound choice.

Thanks for the info, in your opinion is it worth it on the summit or are you better off going for the concierge class, I know in the end it will be my decision. I just want people's opinion so I can make a sound choice.

We would rather just take a regular balcony stateroom, if u do this and buy a drink package you'll get the free drinks (all day long) and it would be way cheaper than the suites. The higher prices for those IMO are not worth it unless there is a serious price drop and if they're only a few hundred $ more. Otherwise I would stick with a regular balcony and put the savings toward the next cruise.

We've been on all 3, our least favorite was Summit. We found the food and service underwhelming, to say the least, and the shows boring. The ship basically seemed to go to sleep after 9 pm. We loved Jewel, although we didn't find the food to be great. We have 4 more cruises currently booked on Jewel - did a b2b this year, have the same booked for 2015 and 2016.

Exactly. I am not a fan of Celebrity even though I really have tried to like them. If you are not a foodie or a lounge lizard and want a more active lifestyle, then this is not the line for you! Stick with Adventure.

Food is VERY subjective. We thought the Summit had the best food of all and a different selection you can't get on RCL. We also had the best waiter we ever had on ANY cruise. It is true though that there is not a lot of late night craziness, which is ok for us. Some may want more activities, and teens would be bored..

How does the rewards program work, I'm sure it's not like Carnivals, on Carnival your loyalty doesn't count on Princess or so forth, how is it between Celebrity and RCI?

How does the rewards program work, I'm sure it's not like Carnivals, on Carnival your loyalty doesn't count on Princess or so forth, how is it between Celebrity and RCI?

Royal and Celebrity give reciprocal recognition to some of the other cruise line's loyalty levels.

Select on Celebrity is Platinum on Royal and vice-versa.

Elite on Celebrity is Diamond on Royal and vice-versa.

No other levels are currently given reciprocal recognition.

I did Adventure in 2011 for Southern Caribbean and am doing a B2B on her next April. I love the Voyager class ships and RCI. I found Jewel to be boring beyond words. Too small for me and not enough to do onboard. I love the Promenade and how spacious it feels. I did, however, prefer the spa on Jewel better than Adventure. Food was comparable on both ships although the service was much better on Adventure. This time we're planning on eating in the Windjammer and doing room service since we don't want to pack "dressy" clothes for the dining room.

Do you use a TA or use someone at the cruiseline? Our last two we booked through the cruiseline. The reason I'm wondering this is if we book Celebrity we know nothing so would it be better to talk to a PVP ?

we got of the jewel 3 weeks ago. the service was outstanding, the food very good and the entertainment was very good. one of the comments the wait staff told us at dinner is diners want their food right away and always seemed to be rushed.

Maybe in MTD they are aware of that, but our team certainly wasn't, but I did think it was just our team. Every night we were watching the other wait teams tear the tables down and make them ready for breakfast before our main course was served. I guess things to change or are the luck of the draw. I was on Jewel in April of 2012 and found the service to be outstanding, but in April/May of 2014 found it to be severely lacking at least in the MDR. Our 2nd time on Jewel was the Southern Itinerary and we did 6 ports in 7 days, so we didn't see much entertainment by choice.

Edited by BillOh

Do you use a TA or use someone at the cruiseline? Our last two we booked through the cruiseline. The reason I'm wondering this is if we book Celebrity we know nothing so would it be better to talk to a PVP ?

Either a travel agent or a PVP should be able to help. You can call the Celebrity Captain's Club (loyalty organization) now, give them your Crown & Anchor number, and they will give you the reciprocal status on the phone.