What do you do all day on Half Moon Cay?

Just off Glory yesterday- my day at HMC was magical. Got off the ship as early as allowed. I wanted a clamshell in the shade. I stopped at the watersports hut first- was told to go pick one and a guy will come to set it up. The 'guy' came in 2 minutes to add the curved center pole to hold it up (the clamshells are stationary and folded flat when you get there). Each holds 2 lounges with room to spare (or 3 tightly side-by-side, you would just need to scoot to the bottom of the chairs to exit). If you need more room- get 2 clamshells next to each other. They are only about 6 inches apart. There were lots to choose from. Mine was next to Cabana #1. I didn't find it too hot- it was in the 90's all last week, though I've heard some people do.

Lunch was very good. Brought it back to my little oasis but there are many covered picnic tables near the food hut. Though- bring your own large refillable mugs or cups- the cups for the drinks were tiny paper cups (6 oz?) -not even as big as the water/lemonade cups on the ship.

The water is crystal clear and so warm. There are large (6 inch or so) angelfish-type fish swimming around in groups. They LOVED the cake from lunch (no yelling from the eco-minded, please). Held a piece in my hand tightly and had a hundred jumping around me. A great memory. 'Purists' might bring fish food...

Since I was next to Cabana #1, I could hear people passing by asking the 'owners' if they could use their shower(just like I read about on CC). They were always gracious and said yes... (way nicer than I would have been...). There are rinsing stations (open air showers) available on the pathway back to the ship- off to the right. The cabana 'owners' packed up a bit early-- and a group of younger 'squatters' moved right in. Then it got loud. Not sure why that under 30 Miami crowd feel the need for loud latin music wherever they go... I moved to a different clamshell.

Long tender lines after 3:30pm- snaked all the way around the plaza. I found a shady bench at 4:15 to wait it out. Got on a boat at 4:45 and there were still people behind me.

A perfect cruise for me would be 2 days at HMC, 2 at Grand Turk (at Jack's Shack watching Topher the dog) and 2 sea days.

I was thre during tropical storm Sean several years ago, yes we tendered in, and we body surfed all day. Except for our break for lunch, and the winds starting howling, the sky got dark and we scurried to get on a tender back to the ship. Once there we went back to the outside behind the Lido restaurant, the sky cleared over the island and a rainbow appeared. It was beautiful. The only other perfect beach I have been to was Elbow Beach in Bermuda, and this was just as nice, except the sand wasn't pink.:) I would never stay on the ship if I had the chance to be at this beach.

This time, we are doing the glass bottom boat, (I am going with a non beach loving person) and then she and a book are going in the shade, and I am going into the water. Being there in October or November cuts down on the heat factor.

#1. Liberally apply sun block.

#2. Swim.

#3. Stay hydrated with a few frosty cold ones.;)

#4. Eat lunch.

#5. Repeat steps 1 thru 3.

A word of advice. As difficult as it may be to leave paradise behind, don't wait until the last minute to head back to the ship. Otherwise, you'll find yourself in a really looong line waiting to board the tender boat back to the ship.:eek: Be smart and plan to head back about an hour before everyone else does.

#1. Liberally apply sun block.

#2. Swim.

#3. Stay hydrated with a few frosty cold ones.;)

#4. Eat lunch.

#5. Repeat steps 1 thru 3.

A word of advice. As difficult as it may be to leave paradise behind, don't wait until the last minute to head back to the ship. Otherwise, you'll find yourself in a really looong line waiting to board the tender boat back to the ship.:eek: Be smart and plan to head back about an hour before everyone else does.

Agree fully with steps 1-5!

But they will not leave you behind. You can wait until after the line is done too. I would move up close to the plaza area, and stay in the water. You will have it to yourself.