What do you do all day on Half Moon Cay?

We played in the water and on the beach a lot. It was the first time my son (who was 9 at the time) had ever been to the beach so we had a blast. Could you maybe pack some dollar store beach toys in one of your bags to take with you?

When they serve lunch on the island, it's gonna take both you and your husband/travelling companions to wrestle the kids and get food for all of them. So there's that too.

The beach is beautiful and if your children like playing in the sand and water, the time will fly. Also they serve lunch so after getting to the island, setting up on the beach, a couple of hours there, lunch and another couple of hours back on the beach and tender back, the day is spent.

We take our time getting ready on the ship, have a leisurely breakfast while the other pax scramble to get on the tenders asap.

Then we head down to the empty tender area and enjoy our short trek to the island. We walk past the throngs of people set up on the nearest sections of the beach and settle into some loungers out by the farthest cabanas.

We enjoy the surf and sun for a while then head over to enjoy a quick lunch. Back to the loungers for more sun and sea. Then back to the ship (before the crowds) for a shower and to make our plans for the evening.

It's probably the BEST day you can have on a CCL cruise to the Caribbean.

You could just spend a quiet day with the kids on board. They would have the run of the pool and kids club with hardly anyone around . You don't say the age of your kids.

If you do go ashore , why not rent a cabana for the group. There will shade , snacks and pop supplied as well.

We were there a couple of years ago and walked over to where they do the Stingray Adventure. Even if you aren't participating in this excursion, there is a gazebo there where you go watch it for free. If you get there at the right time, you can see the guide show the participants how to feed the stingrays--really neat.

I alternate between lounging in the cabana and in the water on a floatie mat.

With a break for lunch.

Next time we cruise by ourselves and stop at HMC, we'll probably just stay on the ship.

To each his own!

I can't imagine not getting off at HMC. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Love it there.

And I am not really a "lay on the beach" kind of gal.

A cabana is really nice and well worth the money.

You could just spend a quiet day with the kids on board. They would have the run of the pool and kids club with hardly anyone around . You don't say the age of your kids.

If you do go ashore , why not rent a cabana for the group. There will shade , snacks and pop supplied as well.

We have a 4,5 and 12 year old.

Are there contests or activities on the island like they have on the pool deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes. The Cruise Director organized several such competitions near the pirate ship. We did not attend - the beach was too nice!

To each their own, but I did not see the need for a cabana. We spent most of our time in the water and had a great day. I really can't imagine going there and not getting off the ship.

I really liked that you did not need to get any excursions at all - it made it so relaxing. The only down side was the long line to get the tend back to the ship. I suppose we could have waited on the beach (they are not going to leave you there, especially if you move back up near the lines) but we did not.

Are there contests or activities on the island like they have on the pool deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, on the beach in front of the Pirate Ship, starting around 11 am.

There is also a playground(on the map it's called Club HAL) that they will enjoy. Swings, slides, and a pirate ship to climb.

If you want you can bring(or buy) floaties, buckets/ shovels, and other water and sand toys for them to play with.

HMC is one of our favorite stops-especially with a child. In fact it's probably the easiest port to be at with children. DON'T leave them on board, it's a family vacation after all.

They're going to love it. :)

Edited by Lerin

Yes how could anyone not get off to see that beautiful place? One of the best stops Carnival has and I have been on 8 cruises hands down one of the best! I agree I would take my time getting off go have a nice breakfast take the kids some toys and enjoy getting the lunch will take a while can't wait to go back oh and it hot man is it hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First time I was at HMC I was with my parents and brother. My dad and brother did the stingray excursion and loved it.

My mom and I found this shaded place on the beach, underneath an old hut or something. We dragged some chairs there and set up "camp" for the day. It was like having a cabana without the cabana prices... lol.

We walked and explored the island. Other than that we parked ourselves in our chairs and read and swam and went to the BBQ to eat lunch. I didn't want to go back to the ship I was so relaxed.

Second time I was at HMC was last year with my cousin. We were on a party cruise. We watched the beach games in front of the pirate ship. Walked around the island a bit. Had lunch and then swam for a couple of hours. I may or may not have danced in the ocean with the lifeguard... HA!

Again I didn't want to leave because I was so relaxed.

Out of all the beaches I've been at on cruises HMC is my favorite.

We rented a clam shell and put 2 chairs in it. We laid in the sun a while then swam a lot and laid in the sun some more. Then went and ate at the BBQ and then came back and swam some more. Can you tell we did nothing. Just relaxed.

We just rented our first cabana and our kids loved it they give you snokle gear and floats it is meant for 4 people but they never check so just say 4 our kids 10 ams 12 thought it was the best day ever .it was the first time we stayed all day and really enjoyed our selfs. We weren't sure if we would think renting the cabana would be worth it and my husband said he thought it was the best money we ever spent for an excursion (and he hates spending money on excursion )

We just rented our first cabana and our kids loved it they give you snokle gear and floats it is meant for 4 people but they never check so just say 4 our kids 10 ams 12 thought it was the best day ever .it was the first time we stayed all day and really enjoyed our selfs. We weren't sure if we would think renting the cabana would be worth it and my husband said he thought it was the best money we ever spent for an excursion (and he hates spending money on excursion )

That was our feeling as well. Worth every penny. When we went to get our cabana assignment at guest services, the guy asked if I wanted to pay for the extra person. There were five of us. I said not really and that was fine. There just would have been five floats and snorkle gear and more soda. The cabana allowed us a lot mre time on the island as we didn't get too hot and we had a more comfortable place to keep our belongings. Best day ever!