Trays at the buffet

PoppyandNana

Seems a bit silly to me that trays are not available for those that want one but hey ho ....seems that for the first few minutes the party at the table is very mobile and getting exercise.......(so why is there a gym?).

I suggest that if as some here have stated they return and find the table cleared and others there that they complain...possibly to the staff....enough complaints should eventually fix it...or doesnt X listen?

Seems a bit silly to me that trays are not available for those that want one but hey ho ....seems that for the first few minutes the party at the table is very mobile and getting exercise.......(so why is there a gym?).

I suggest that if as some here have stated they return and find the table cleared and others there that they complain...possibly to the staff....enough complaints should eventually fix it...or doesnt X listen?

X listens, it's just that the problem is not anywhere near as big is some may make it out to be.

Everyone in this world is different.

Having said that..... some people like the flexibility (and exercise and convenience) of getting up and down 6 times, 10 times, 20 times, etc... whenever they want something, or get more of something, or get something for somebody else... etc.. They don't mind zipping in and zipping out, coming back to the table with exactly what (and exactly how much) they want.. Didn't like something??...Go back and get something else.. Couldn't believe how GOOD something was??...Go back and then come back with enough of it so that EVERYONE can share... etc, etc

OK, now some people don't like that.. They REALLY like the idea of getting everything in one swoop..... go back to their table, and have everything they need for that one sitting.. They're done.. THAT'S their comfort level.. They feel relieved to get to their table.. No having to get back up....no need to reenter the "crazy zone"... It's just their comfort level.. And for singles... there's that added plus (and security) of knowing that their items will not being taken away and a new family sitting there when they get back.

So.... in reality, a question (or thread) like this will inevitably elicit a variety of responses... all very subjective, and with their perfectly logical, warranted merits.. This is simply dependent upon the circumstance and preferences of each individual.. IE, there is no 100% wrong or right answer... and that's OK!

So Celebrity, why not just give people the OPTION of having a tray... IF they so choose... for their convenience and comfort?. This will keep everybody happy....and satisfy both worlds. :o

JMHO,

Rick

I've read of others doing this. And read where some ask and can get one provided from a staff member in the area.

Summit is testing a new buffet style, and have implemented small trays again, I expect it to roll out fleet wide perhaps end of the year. So if you will be on Summit, no need to bring your own.

For me though on normal ships, I just make 2 trips rather than grab 2 whole plates of food at a time. Ill put my toast order in, go drop off my eggs and coffee then when I get back the toast is done and back to my table to eat...

My memory is a little foggy, but I thought the Summit had the older style buffet style and has ways had trays. Perhaps it was changed when it was updated?

We like the station style buffet style on the Solstice Class ships that use the large plates. We do not miss the buffet style that has the lines and room for the trays.

OP, I am not sure you will have room to set down your tray when getting your food. Perhaps if it is a small tray that you could handle with one hand, but I am not sure it would be must better than the large plates.

My memory is a little foggy, but I thought the Summit had the older style buffet style and has ways had trays. Perhaps it was changed when it was updated?

We like the station style buffet style on the Solstice Class ships that use the large plates. We do not miss the buffet style that has the lines and room for the trays.

OP, I am not sure you will have room to set down your tray when getting your food. Perhaps if it is a small tray that you could handle with one hand, but I am not sure it would be must better than the large plates.

M class ships have tray slides along the buffet, S class does not. Trays were removed fleet wide sometime last year, but the cafeteria tray slides remained. Summit has reintroduced trays as they experiment with a new style buffet, though the new trays are not as large as they were before they were removed last year.

I too like the station style buffet on S class, the experiment on Summit is trying to accomplish that without having to remodel the equipment in place.

Some of the people here must have never had my experience...which has happened at least on 3 occasions.

I set my flatware with napkin down, along with my juice and coffee. I then go back to get my breakfast. When I get back, my place has been cleared and there are others sitting there.

When I reverse it, putting my breakfast down and then going to get coffee and juice, (leaving my eggs to get cold) the same thing has happened.

If you are not occupying a seat, any food at the table is considered fair game to get cleared.

That is surprising and amazing that it happened to you not only once, but three times. Disappointing I am sure. Perhaps you can bring a paperback book next time to make it even clearer. I wonder if this was just some inconsiderate passenger. I would certainly think the staff would know that an unused napkin wrapped around silverware and drinks not consumed would not need to be cleared. You sure are unlucky.

M class ships have tray slides along the buffet, S class does not. Trays were removed fleet wide sometime last year, but the cafeteria tray slides remained. Summit has reintroduced trays as they experiment with a new style buffet, though the new trays are not as large as they were before they were removed last year.

I too like the station style buffet on S class, the experiment on Summit is trying to accomplish that without having to remodel the equipment in place.

Thanks for the explanation. I have not been on the Summit since they introduced the Solstice Class.

Looking outside of the world of cruising I've seen two types of self serve food service over the years (not counting fast food places): Buffets and cafeterias. For the most part cafeterias always had trays and buffets did not.

Cafeterias: Think institutions like schools, hospitals, offices and so on. Cafeteria style food lines used to be somewhat common at certain types of restaurants but they seem to be fading away from everything except institutions and fast food variations as the years go by.

Buffets: Think Sunday brunch and buffets at nicer restaurants as well as weddings and other catered events.

I think that years ago the cafes on cruise ships were more like cafeterias. All the passengers would pretty much pass along a single line getting what they'd like along the way. No skipping or cutting in please... ...keep that line in order.

In recent years, at least on Celebrity, they've moved away from the single line concept in the cafes and towards a serving station buffet concept where passengers move individually among serving stations to get what they'd like from a more varied assortment of foods and don't just follow a single line. Because of this they've eliminated the single line oriented tray rails and trays in designing the newer S class ships and seem to be experimenting with similar changes on the older M class ships.

I think the real problem here is the cut back in staffing. Years ago there were lots of staff around to assist passengers who needed help in the buffet. They are still around for those that need them but in most cases you have to ask for someone rather than having them there offering.

Edited by Lsimon

Well you can't make just one trip if you don't have trays.. Like I said, some people only want to make one trip.. and be done with it, others don't mind going back-and-forth 3 times until they're all set and have everything they need.. So just provide trays - as an option for those who want it.. and call it a day.

Edited by Rick-cruiser

Here's a really outrageous idea.... Why not just serve yourself a modest single plate of food plus a beverage (pretty easy to handle with two hands)? And then,if you're still hungry, you can return for a second helping. This idea may help prevent overeating and the extra exercise may further help the calorie differential.

How funny & true! 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never thought much about the lack of trays until our one cruise on Carnival - with trays.

As far as we were concerned, it slowed everything to a snail's pace.

Instead of making quick stops at various stations, you needed to become part of the "tray train" at each spot - hated it.

That is surprising and amazing that it happened to you not only once, but three times. Disappointing I am sure. Perhaps you can bring a paperback book next time to make it even clearer. I wonder if this was just some inconsiderate passenger. I would certainly think the staff would know that an unused napkin wrapped around silverware and drinks not consumed would not need to be cleared. You sure are unlucky.

I don't think they are unlucky just accurate. On the Constellation last week the buffet cleaner uppers were aggressive in clearing tables to the point that they were taking plates off tables while people were still sitting there. A lot of this had to do with the itinerary, Norway and the Arctic Circle. Lots of people were using the buffet as a viewing lounge as we moved in and out of the fjords. Balcony people could not sit out due to the wind and temprature. Also, the aft sitting area was closed again due to the weather. Created a problem for lots of folks who could not find a place to sit during sea days. Add to this people having to go back to the stations to get additional items that they couldn't get initially because of the lack of trays. Despite what another poster stated had nothing to do with over eating or getting exercise. The lines and the stations were incredibly crowded with people going through the first time around now add twice the numbers getting their number two and three items. Cutting in, words exchanged created a chaotic situation. How much easier it would be to have a tray and get everything you need in one trip, sit down and enjoy the meal.

Never thought much about the lack of trays until our one cruise on Carnival - with trays.

As far as we were concerned, it slowed everything to a snail's pace.

Instead of making quick stops at various stations, you needed to become part of the "tray train" at each spot - hated it.

Trays are gone from Carnival... at least they were on the Fantasy in May (on a group cruise). Did not help the situation as the the line is still there but worse now as you do have people "excusing" themselves to grab just one thing.

Our next cruise we are in AQ again and I think breakfast/dinner will be Blu for sure. Lunch seems easier than say breakfast for a "buffet".

I don't understand the big deal. Why does anyone need to carry two plates and a beverage at the same time? It's like you think there's a limit on how many times you can go up to a food station.

My husband is disabled and I get his food on a plate, carry it to the table, get a beverage, and then get my food on one plate. If either of us wants more, I just grab another plate and get the food, with no need for a tray. Heck, I've seen more people mishandle trays loaded with plates, and see them drop everything on the floor.

The new buffet on the Summit is very different from what we are all use to… Lets just say you want eggs and bacon with home fries. The eggs and bacon might be pre plated in one plate and the potatoes pre plated in another plate. Another example is french toast comes in a basket so if you want something with your french toast, it would also be a separate plate. In both examples it would take two plates and a cup so you might want a tray..

I have to put my two cents in here about trays. My kids are older now, but when they were young and I had two little ones that I was trying to get their food and mine and get them seated. It could be a bit tricky! I'm all for the option of trays for those who want or need them.

The new buffet on the Summit is very different from what we are all use to… Lets just say you want eggs and bacon with home fries. The eggs and bacon might be pre plated in one plate and the potatoes pre plated in another plate. Another example is french toast comes in a basket so if you want something with your french toast, it would also be a separate plate. In both examples it would take two plates and a cup so you might want a tray..

One could also set the french toast basket on the plate and carry both to the table and then place the french toast from the basket onto the plate. and place the basket on the table aside. Likewise, place the metal egg combo on a side of plate and add the potatoes around the edges and carry 1 plate to the table., or place the hash browns in the metal container itself. mixed with the eggs and meats.

Or go the the egg station get the eggs to order on a plate with all the fixins on a single plate and avoid the metal self serve version all together if you prefer to get additional fix ins beyond the eggs and meat combos.

Lots of options and ways to accommodate the task at hand. To each their own. I must have watched a lot of MacGyver back in the day to be able to problems solve so quickly. Or maybe MacGruder on SNL...:D

One could also set the french toast basket on the plate and carry both to the table and then place the french toast from the basket onto the plate. and place the basket on the table aside. Likewise, place the metal egg combo on a side of plate and add the potatoes around the edges and carry 1 plate to the table., or place the hash browns in the metal container itself. mixed with the eggs and meats.

Or go the the egg station get the eggs to order on a plate with all the fixins on a single plate and avoid the metal self serve version all together if you prefer to get additional fix ins beyond the eggs and meat combos.

Lots of options and ways to accommodate the task at hand. To each their own. I must have watched a lot of MacGyver back in the day to be able to problems solve so quickly. Or maybe MacGruder on SNL...:D

The plates on the Summit would not fit both the pre plated egg meal and the home fries ( quiet a large pan) I tried that too… Talk about stuff sliding off while your trying to walk back to your table with your beverage! The french toast baskets slide around on the plates, tried that too…

I am just pointing out to the OP that she may want to bring a tray if thats what she wants...

I thought the plates were plenty big enough. I had an eggs benedict, then added some potatos on the side of the plate and also grabbed a bowel of museli with some sweet bread. I do make 2 trips, one to get coffee which I set on the table with a sweater or my book or hat or something personal. Then I get my food and sit down to eat.

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

I always thought the issue with the trays was a sanitary one. With the prevalence of passengers bringing on Noro, those trays would have to be washed and sanitized between uses - no more just wiping them off with a cloth.

Better to do away with one more way to spread disease.

Edited by Lisah101

Looking outside of the world of cruising I've seen two types of self serve food service over the years (not counting fast food places): Buffets and cafeterias. For the most part cafeterias always had trays and buffets did not.

Cafeterias: Think institutions like schools, hospitals, offices and so on. Cafeteria style food lines used to be somewhat common at certain types of restaurants but they seem to be fading away from everything except institutions and fast food variations as the years go by.

Buffets: Think Sunday brunch and buffets at nicer restaurants as well as weddings and other catered events.

I think that years ago the cafes on cruise ships were more like cafeterias. All the passengers would pretty much pass along a single line getting what they'd like along the way. No skipping or cutting in please... ...keep that line in order.

Never thought of it, but you are so correct. Caesar's Palace, Harrah's and MGM Grand all in Las Vegas don't have trays. Even Golden Corral doesn't have trays, where Furr's Cafeteria does. That is a very interesting observation you made.