Internet

Commodore

I remain unconvinced about the true "need" for Internet connection for many. Of course there are some with emerging crises at home or at work, but the idea of a vacation should be a break from routine. Any organization which cannot do without an individual's input for a few days is likely badly managed and, at the least, lacks competent succession planning. Sure, it's great to check in now and then - to let oneself feel important and to let the poor saps at home know what a great time you are having - but I would rate a large part of people's Internet connectivity as a time and money wasting expenditure.

I've seen you write this same message at least several times in the past and usually let it go but this time it irritated me.

I recently lost my DH and he HAD to have internet access for his private practice or he would not have been able to travel nearly the amount we did. Because he had access, we got to enjoy a great many cruises.. You don't know his work or how well his organization was managed. You don't know who or what his clients needed or the professionalism with which he conducted his business. I resent your implication he was a poor manager. Perhaps I am more sensitive due to my just recently losing him but please think twice before writing this again. It is very hurtful to many and you don't know what you are talking about in many cases.

I was solely responsible for the care of an elderly relative. I HAD to be able to be reached quickly or I would have been negligent in my oversight of their care. As it turned out, she died three days after we returned from a cruise. Had she died a few days earlier, I had to be reached.

Just because you (meant to include all to whom this applies) have the luxury of shutting off all communication while away, not everyone can. Please do not raise the point of years ago, people did not have computers or cell phones etc. The point is we now do and have come to rely upon being reachable. Some of us would be unable to leave home without that possibility.

I hope you (all to whom this applies) can see a different perspective than your very lucky narrow one you can enjoy.

Edited by sail7seas

I've seen you write this same message at least several times in the past and usually let it go but this time it irritated me.

I recently lost my DH and he HAD to have internet access for his private practice or he would not have been able to travel nearly the amount we did. Because he had access, we got to enjoy a great many cruises.. You don't know his work or how well his organization was managed. You don't know who or what his clients needed or the professionalism with which he conducted his business. I resent your implication he was a poor manager. Perhaps I am more sensitive due to my just recently losing him but please think twice before writing this again. It is very hurtful to many and you don't know what you are talking about in many cases.

I was solely responsible for the care of an elderly relative. I HAD to be able to be reached quickly or I would have been negligent in my oversight of their care. As it turned out, she died three days after we returned from a cruise. Had she died a few days earlier, I had to be reached.

Just because you (meant to include all to whom this applies) have the luxury of shutting off all communication while away, not everyone can. Please do not raise the point of years ago, people did not have computers or cell phones etc. The point is we now do and have come to rely upon being reachable. Some of us would be unable to leave home without that possibility.

I hope you (all to whom this applies) can see a different perspective than your very lucky narrow one you can enjoy.

You are not being overly sensitive. It's no ones business why anyone needs internet on board a ship unless they have to pay for it for that person. Its also not right to make all sorts of assumptions.

That's not your call to make' date=' nor is it your right to pass judgement on others. In fact, it's none of your business what or why others use the internet.[/quote']

If you read what I posted, you would realize that I was simply expressing an opinion - and in no conceivable manner was I passing judgement. Or are you claiming that I have no right to express an opinion? There is a difference between need and want - whether you like it or not.

If you read what I posted, you would realize that I was simply expressing an opinion - and in no conceivable manner was I passing judgement. Or are you claiming that I have no right to express an opinion? There is a difference between need and want - whether you like it or not.

[/b]I read what you posted and seeing you have posted this same message more than once, I think I understand your message.

We are just trying to state the other side as something you may wish to think about before telling us what is need and what is wanted. Your needs and wants will never meet those of everyone else.

[/b]

Very well put, Sail.

i've seen you write this same message at least several times in the past and usually let it go but this time it irritated me.

I recently lost my dh and he had to have internet access for his private practice or he would not have been able to travel nearly the amount we did. Because he had access, we got to enjoy a great many cruises.. You don't know his work or how well his organization was managed. You don't know who or what his clients needed or the professionalism with which he conducted his business. I resent your implication he was a poor manager. Perhaps i am more sensitive due to my just recently losing him but please think twice before writing this again. It is very hurtful to many and you don't know what you are talking about in many cases.

I was solely responsible for the care of an elderly relative. I had to be able to be reached quickly or i would have been negligent in my oversight of their care. As it turned out, she died three days after we returned from a cruise. Had she died a few days earlier, i had to be reached.

perfect!!

[/b]I read what you posted and seeing you have posted this same message more than once, I think I understand your message.

We are just trying to state the other side as something you may wish to think about before telling us what is need and what is wanted. Your needs and wants will never meet those of everyone else.

[/b]

With respect, I never judged between anyone's needs and wants, I simply stated that I was "...unconvinced about the true "need" for Internet connection for many...". I happen to feel that the urge for connectivity - as most extraordinarily demonstrated by people's tendency to spend time in the presence others in texting with people not there - has an unfortunate impact on human interaction, as well as how they spend much of their time.

That was an expression of opinion, not judgement.

- but I would rate a large part of people's Internet connectivity as a time and money wasting expenditure.
I spend or waste time and money on many things in life simply because I enjoy doing them. Using internet on board is one of them. Posting opinions on CC is another. :p

I echo, extremely well said. Over the past several years we would not have been able to cruise at all if not for the internet as I, too, had sole responsibility for an elderly relative.

I agree, in the old days we really got away when we cruised -- but if we could not afford to be that much away, we could not cruise. Thankfully things are different today.

I spend or waste time and money on many things in life simply because I enjoy doing them. Using internet on board is one of them. Posting opinions on CC is another. :p

We all spend (or waste) time and money on things we enjoy. Of course shipboard Internet is a very efficient means of accomplishing both of those expenditures --- given the high price and slow connections.

Thank you for that post. It says it all much better than I could have. What others choose to do is up to them.

[

With respect, I never judged between anyone's needs and wants, I simply stated that I was "...unconvinced about the true "need" for Internet connection for many...". I happen to feel that the urge for connectivity - as most extraordinarily demonstrated by people's tendency to spend time in the presence others in texting with people not there - has an unfortunate impact on human interaction, as well as how they spend much of their time.

That was an expression of opinion, not judgement.

I'm sorry I was not able to get my point across as I really did try.

I'll try harder next time.

I am appreciative to those who have agreed with my comments. Thank you for posting your agreement. :) I knew there had to be others in similar position to that which DH and I found ourselves.

We all spend (or waste) time and money on things we enjoy. Of course shipboard Internet is a very efficient means of accomplishing both of those expenditures --- given the high price and slow connections.

And now you have made my point :). On most other cruise lines (where they have slow connections just like on HAL) we get all kinds of free internet minutes. But on HAL, not only do they have awful internet service, but they make just about everyone pay for it!

And as to your opinion of the importance of the internet, we think you are living in the last century (like many on the HAL management team). Times have changed, and while you are certainly entitled to your opinion you would find yourself in a small minority these days. Not only are many folks totally addicted to being connected (lots of studies about this) but many folks need to be constantly accessible due to job requirements or personal issues. It seems to me that since HAL insists on capitulating to the addiction of smoking, the least they could do is help feed the addiction of being connected (which is a much more common addiction then smoking). And the addiction of being connected does not shorten one's life span by about 10 years...like smoking.

Hank

And now you have made my point :). On most other cruise lines (where they have slow connections just like on HAL) we get all kinds of free internet minutes. But on HAL, not only do they have awful internet service, but they make just about everyone pay for it!

And as to your opinion of the importance of the internet, we think you are living in the last century (like many on the HAL management team). Times have changed, and while you are certainly entitled to your opinion you would find yourself in a small minority these days. Not only are many folks totally addicted to being connected (lots of studies about this) but many folks need to be constantly accessible due to job requirements or personal issues. It seems to me that since HAL insists on capitulating to the addiction of smoking, the least they could do is help feed the addiction of being connected (which is a much more common addiction then smoking). And the addiction of being connected does not shorten one's life span by about 10 years...like smoking.

Hank

I think you have a point in referring to connectivity as an addictive substance - but I do not understand why you think HAL should simply help feed that addiction by making it less expensive, rather than by profiting from it. Isn't profit the primary motive of all addiction facilitators?

I think you have a point in referring to connectivity as an addictive substance - but I do not understand why you think HAL should simply help feed that addiction by making it less expensive, rather than by profiting from it. Isn't profit the primary motive of all addiction facilitators?

I think his original point was that if HAL lowered internet prices and/or increased the speed of the internet service, it would help attract the younger crowd that they will need to remain successful in future. (Not to mention a lot of the older crowd like me who would also appreciate it!)

I am appreciative to those who have agreed with my comments. Thank you for posting your agreement. :) I knew there had to be others in similar position to that which DH and I found ourselves.

You were a lot nicer than I would have been. I actually started a response but no matter how many smiley faces I added, I just couldn't cover the venom. :)

[

You actually did a good job, but sometimes you have to accept that there are still some HAL cruisers that think Horsepower means how many horses they hook to their carriage to get to the port :).

By the way, we know you have been going through some real rough times and want you to know you are in our prayers.

Hank

You actually did a good job, but sometimes you have to accept that there are still some HAL cruisers that think Horsepower means how many horses they hook to their carriage to get to the port :).

By the way, we know you have been going through some real rough times and want you to know you are in our prayers.

Hank

Thank you, Hank.

That is very kind of you.

All you can do for free on HAL is access the HAL site and possibly the NYTimes site. I haven't tried the latter for a few years and don't know if that's still possible.

AFAIK, this option still exists. Unless something has recently changed.

... if HAL lowered internet prices and/or increased the speed of the internet service, it would help attract the younger crowd that they will need to remain successful in future. (Not to mention a lot of the older crowd like me who would also appreciate it!)

I think this is an absolutely valid point and hope that the HAL powers that be in Seattle, are listening.

Scott & Karen

Amen, sister.