Tipping Question - Island Wings & Capt. Larry

pumpkinlady

I've read other threads mentioning tipping for tour operators. I seem to remember that there's a jar on Capt. Larry's boat - is this correct? (We'll be on his new one.) What about Island Wings - can you tip Michelle directly?

For those who have gone with Capt. Larry and/or Island Wings, I'm looking for suggestions on how much you've tipped them and anything else you'd recommend regarding tipping independent operators. Thanks very much!

I may be out of place here, but I think this is similar to tipping when it comes to hair dressers/barbers and the like. You don't tip the owner...they get full benefit of the money you spend. If it is an employee, whether a hair dresser or a tour guide, then a tip would be appropriate.

Yes, there is a tip jar on the Orca (Capt Larry) boat. It is by the yummy food. You will see everyone on his boat earns their tips. They will help you up the ladder, carry your camera down if you need help, etc. It for the entire crew. I don't know how much my husband put in but he tends to be generous.

(someone please tell me what kind of fish they served us...)

IMHO, maybe the way the owner/operator of a tour company can afford to keep prices in line is the fact they earn gratuities to supplement their income. After all they only have 5 +/- months to earn the majority of their livelyhood.

Just my opinion, if I get a great tour, the crew or operator gets a great gratuity.

I may be out of place here, but I think this is similar to tipping when it comes to hair dressers/barbers and the like. You don't tip the owner...they get full benefit of the money you spend. If it is an employee, whether a hair dresser or a tour guide, then a tip would be appropriate.

FYI - Capt Larry does not own Orca Enterprises. Carol does.

I haven't been on Capt Larry's new boat but on his old boat, I put the tip into the jar in the back of the boat.

Archived