Scenic Pearl

Cruise831

Anyone been on the Scenic Pearl. We were looking at doing the Highlights of the Rhine. This would be our first river cruise. Is it better to go from Zurich to Amsterdam or from Amsterdam to Zurich. We would fly in a day or two early but could spend 3-4 days at the end. Any information would be helpful. I have been researching both Zurich and Amsterdam.

Hi cruise831 Scenic Pearl, Emerald, Diamond, Sapphire and Ruby are all the same layout all were refurbished 2012/2013and closing balconies put on all but Emerald. We have been on Sapphire 2011 pre refurb and Diamond post refurb. Scenic ships are very comfortable with modern but not to ultra layout, last year we did Amsterdam to Basel, Rhine Mosselle and the whole cruise was excellent.

Happy cruising.

Do read the thread below re Scenic Cruises,also member reviews,it s relatively new to US.

Just did one and posted a review in both above places.

If this is your first river cruise,do read the info sticky on top of river section for lots of CC info.

I d do Amsterdam down,to go with river flow,not sure.BUt we did and enjoyed it.Would spend at LEAST 1 day pre and post cruise.

Remember ,ships are small,entertainment is low key,but scenery is great.Look at you tube videos also.Lots of info,just takes some work.

I d do Amsterdam down,to go with river flow,not sure.

The flow is from Basel down to Amsterdam, but I'm not sure that makes much difference for the cruises. In theory the ship could move faster if sailing downstream, which could mean more time in port -- but in practice they may just throttle back and save fuel. Check the detailed itineraries in both directions to see if your line gives a clue to time is spent in each port [or if the ports differ slightly].

Otherwise, it should depend on which city you prefer to start and end in. Maybe the city with more flights is better to start, since you can more easily cope with delays/cancellations? [Coming home a day late may be less of a bother than losing a day from your trip plans.]