Elation Potentially Getting Replaced Out of NOLA

Pure decision based upon $$$$.....the Port of New Orleans will provide huge incentives to Carnival to bring the Freedom here...New Orleans tourism benefits from the fact that the average pre/post cruiser spends 3X the amount per day then anywhere else in the Country....Galveston may have a greater pull in terms of driving range for more cruisers but cannot match the allure of New Orleans...plus 2016(17) will be the 300th Anniversary of New Orleans which will be a huge draw

Carnival is smart enough to allocate resources between both ports to fill their Conquest type ships...it is not an either/or...it's how can we coordfnate

galveston has a higher 'drive-to' market segment, in terms of metro populations within driving distance. since they can negate the airfare, hotel and other costs, they can and do pay a premium vs. 'destination' cities / ports, N.O. included. galveston has been, for that reason, one of the highest cost / day ports to sail out of for a while. supply and demand. they've augmented supply, because the demand has been so strong (and been maintained).

Yes, the Houston metro area has a population greater than Louisiana, but New Orleans is still within driving distance.

Both cities have issues including some common ones like fog, however fog won't close the port of New Orleans. Galveston still requires cruise ships to have two shore pilots when only one is really needed.

So if it does get replaced what happens to people that have a trip already booked on the Elation? We have one planned for April 2015. Do we just get switched to the new ship in a similar room. Or do they just cancel us? Would our fair stay the same and the interary :confused

This happened to us when they switched Sunshine and Dream. We did receive an email and had 3 options offered to us. 1) To stay with NOLA and do the Dream (we did this) 2) get a full refund including any non-refundable air and hotel stays if we had pre-paid or booked or 3) move to Port Canaveral to do Sunshine and they would again refund/pay any additional air charges, etc. if we incurred added expense.

Our fare remained the same and we actually have ended up with a better cabin. We also have OBC when we board. For us it was really about sailing out of NOLA and being able to stay a couple of days there prior to sailing.

Edited by Bookbug53

I am still believe that a major renovations are coming to the Elation. She and the paradise are the only two fantasy class ships not to recieve evoulutions of fun and stateroom uogrades. (Just think big corner box). These two ships were also the only two fantasy class the was on the orginal list to recieve 2.0 upgrades. So if they upgrade her i could see her as a viable option for Galveston to be swapped with the freedom.

FWIW I asked my PVP recently about Elation's possible upgrades during dry dock. When I asked if Elation would receive any 2.0 upgrades she told me no.

Info from Cruisett..

Carnival Elation

Ship Class: Fantasy Year Built: 1998 Previous Dry-Dock: October 2011 Upcoming Scheduled Dry-Dock: 9/25/14 - 10/09/14

Notes: As of June 27, 2014, Go CCL is showing 9/25/14 - 10/09/14 as the dates for the Carnival Elation's dry-dock on the ship's fact sheet. Also as of June 27, 2014, the Carnival booking engine is showing that these dates are blocked off. The Carnival Elation was listed on the original FunShip 2.0 implementation schedule, but that schedule was removed from Carnival's website and has not been followed exactly since then. There is no indication yet if the Carnival Elation will receive FunShip 2.0 or not. No official information about upgrades or changes have been released.

Info from Cruisett..

Carnival Elation

Ship Class: Fantasy Year Built: 1998 Previous Dry-Dock: October 2011 Upcoming Scheduled Dry-Dock: 9/25/14 - 10/09/14

Notes: As of June 27, 2014, Go CCL is showing 9/25/14 - 10/09/14 as the dates for the Carnival Elation's dry-dock on the ship's fact sheet. Also as of June 27, 2014, the Carnival booking engine is showing that these dates are blocked off. The Carnival Elation was listed on the original FunShip 2.0 implementation schedule, but that schedule was removed from Carnival's website and has not been followed exactly since then. There is no indication yet if the Carnival Elation will receive FunShip 2.0 or not. No official information about upgrades or changes have been released.

This information is from the dry-dock schedule that I upkeep. This information should not be on Cruisett. :confused:

Could you please give me some directions on how to view this on the Cruisett website? Thank you!

Edited by thecruiserofships

If they swap ships before current bookings sail, would the itinerary stay the same? We are booked on the Elation Halloween 2015, and we mainly care about seeing NOLA and Progreso.

Most likely they would want to swap ships (if even) closer to April 2016 to minimize the itineraries affected.

If something did happen the itinerary would probably stay the same. They would also give you some type of small compensation, if they do like they have done in the past.