Amsterdam info please

Ocean Dancer

We are seasoned cruisers, about 35 in all, but this will be our second Hal cruise in many years and a 45 day one at that!

Is coffee, tea, iced tea, juice, snacks/pizza/ice cream available 24 hours a day at the Lido? If not, what time do they close, or what is available? Can you just get ice and water 24 hours? I don't mean room service. What is the Lido breakfast/lunch like? How about MDR lunch?

What is not to be missed on the Amsterdam? Do the Dolphin deck port hole cabins have fridges?

Do they have a printout of the USA Today daily news and crossword puzzles?

Any Raggae/Buffet/Oldies music by the pool? Canned, DJ or live? What about at night for music/dancing?

When was the Amsterdam updated? Flat screen TV'S? What TV channels are usually available? Yes, I know about satilite popping in and out, but like to watch a bit of TV/news late at night going to bed. Is the TV interactive?

Any singles parties?

We have anytime dining, can we be seated with others to make new friends?

Will we start this cruise at the next level since we will reach it during the cruise? Or will we reach it midway during the cruise, or not at all? Not fair if that happens.

We will be doing a lot of tendering, How is this organized if you do not have a Hal tour?

Any other Amsterdam info will be much appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, but I know "You Hal Experts" can help me out.

Thank you so much in advance. :)

You ask many questions. Here are a few of the answers.

Is coffee, tea, iced tea, juice, snacks/pizza/ice cream available 24 hours a day at the Lido? Most of the time. Not all.

If not, what time do they close, or what is available? Never needed to know.

Can you just get ice and water 24 hours? I don't mean room service. I Believe so.

What is the Lido breakfast/lunch like? How about MDR lunch? What kind of an answer do you expect?

What is not to be missed on the Amsterdam? Don’t know.

Do the Dolphin deck port hole cabins have fridges? No

Do they have a printout of the USA Today daily news and crossword puzzles? NY Times summary with crossword puzzle. Also daily Sudoku.

Any Raggae/Buffet/Oldies music by the pool? Don't know

Canned, DJ or live? Live

What about at night for music/dancing? Don’t know

When was the Amsterdam updated? Last year

Flat screen TV'S? Yes

What TV channels are usually available? I know about satilite popping in and out, but like to watch a bit of TV/news late at night going to bed. CNN, FOX, BBC news, movies and several others.

Is the TV interactive? No

Any singles parties? I believe so.

We have anytime dining, can we be seated with others to make new friends? Yes

Will we start this cruise at the next level since we will reach it during the cruise? Or will we reach it midway during the cruise, or not at all? Not fair if that happens. You will not get the benefits of the next level until your next cruise.

We will be doing a lot of tendering, How is this organized if you do not have a Hal tour? You pick up a tender ticket and wait for your number to be called.

This is what I can remember. YMMV.

Scott & Karen

We are seasoned cruisers, about 35 in all, but this will be our second Hal cruise in many years and a 45 day one at that!

Is coffee, tea, iced tea, juice, snacks/pizza/ice cream available 24 hours a day at the Lido? If not, what time do they close, or what is available? Can you just get ice and water 24 hours? I don't mean room service. Coffee, tea, iced tea and ice water are available in the Lido 24/7. Snacks, pizza and ice cream are not available 24/7. There is a late evening snack around 10:30 for an hour.

What is the Lido breakfast/lunch like? Very nice buffet -- all types of eggs, meats, fruit -- you won't go hungry

How about MDR lunch? The main dining room had a couple of appetizers, a couple of soups, 5 entrees and a few choices for desserts. Keep in mind that it is not open every day.

What is not to be missed on the Amsterdam? Do the Dolphin deck port hole cabins have fridges? No -- but you can rent one for $2 a day -- call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576. It will sit either on the desk top or under it.

Do they have a printout of the USA Today daily news and crossword puzzles? Yes -- but not delivered to your cabin any more. You can get one in the Lido. dining room, library, front office.

Any Raggae/Buffet/Oldies music by the pool? HAL Cats play live for about an hour at lunch time -- varies by ship.

Canned, DJ or live? DJ -- plays music -- usually a quitarist in the Crow's Nest

What about at night for music/dancing? Ocean Bar has the HAL Cats for music and dancing. Explorer's Lounge has the Adagio Duo -- one person plays the piano and another the violin (no dancing here). Crow's Nest -- DJ plays records late in the evenings -- dancing.

When was the Amsterdam updated? December 2013

Flat screen TV'S? What TV channels are usually available? Yes, I know about satilite popping in and out, but like to watch a bit of TV/news late at night going to bed. Is the TV interactive?

Any singles parties? Sometimes a lunch get-together. Maybe a cocktail party.

We have anytime dining, can we be seated with others to make new friends? Yes -- just request it when you show up at the dining room.

Will we start this cruise at the next level since we will reach it during the cruise? Or will we reach it midway during the cruise, or not at all? Not fair if that happens. Per HAL rules - starts on your next cruise.

We will be doing a lot of tendering, How is this organized if you do not have a Hal tour? In the daily "On Location" program there will be a place and time for you to report to for tender tickets. HAL will take care of their excursions first.

Any other Amsterdam info will be much appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, but I know "You Hal Experts" can help me out.

Keep in mind that for the first 48 hours, HAL will have the Lido in Code Orange mode -- it is not self-service during that time. Everything will be handed to you including coffee, water, etc.

Tips--Take the art tour of the ship--self guided. Interesting. The décor of this ship brings one back to early 1900's. Love it.

No refrigerators in rooms. (Don't now about penthouse).

Dining--the more people you sit with, the longer your dining time is.

Please read the daily bulletin that is sent to your room the eve before. I mark things I don't want to miss with a red marker. I like to play trivia and go to the teas. It also tells what movie will be playing. (free popcorn).

There will be a room service menu in your room. You can leave your request for breakfast on your doorknob at night. I ordered 2 coffees and got 2 coffeepots. List every little thing you need. When the dining room is open you can order from their menu from room service. Also the dining room presents its menu outside their door in the afternoon so you can plan ahead.

If you are a person who uses lots of ice, let your room steward know. These guys are terrific. They also will leave fruit if you let them know ahead-apples, bananas, pears.

Thank you everyone for your answers. You have been a great help. Another question...........Are the walls and outside cabin door magnetized? We may have a door contest..............and the interior wall, I like to decorate with new magnets and post up important papers.

Thank you

Anyone else, please add comments to my questions above

Regarding your "Mariner" benefits, you might check with the Front Office once you are on board - I have a feeling once when we were on a b2b or "Collector's Cruise", in the first half we went up to the next level, and we did get our 100-day medals in the second leg or at least something happened. I imagine, if you are on a 45-day cruise, it is probably 2 cruises put together? Worth it to check.

We are planning to book the same 45 day cruise while we are aboard the Amsterdam later this month. It is one 45 day cruise, not a b2b or a collectors cruise. The next Mariner level should not kick in until the next cruise after this one.

Unless there has been a recent change by HAL the t.v. is not interactive. Don't expect the t.v. to be on very good on this cruise. Satelite was terrible on our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.:eek:

A daily news is available where KK indicated. It is small, extremely condensed. IIRC on our last cruise it was not USA Today, may have been the New York Times? I will check while aboard.

Room service is free, 24 hours a day and quite an extensive menu. I will check the hours the Lido is open.

If you have other specific questions ask away on your roll call before Wed. the 23rd, I will try to get the answers for you and post there.;)

Jane

In my experience on cruises that go to exotic locales, the farther you are from the continents, the less TV is available. When doing ocean crossings it is not unusual to lose all commercial TV for some number of days - in those cases the ship will play movies and as they always do they will rerun guest speakers and port talks on the cabin TV.

Sometimes even internet service is interrupted for a period of time when cruising in out of the way places. It is all part of the experience and best to expect it in advance.

I am sorry but I cannot remember if, and for how long, we lost satellite TV when we sailed through the South Pacific in 2008 - but then that may be long enough ago not to be a relevant memory.

Do, however, expect some gaps in service.

The TV does pop in and out due to the satellites, glad you realize that. Fox News comes in via the internet so is almost always available. CNN or BBC comes on when there is good satellite coverage. HAL is so far away from interactive TV's it is a bit sad but unless we are watching a movie, we do not really care about other TV once we have our condensed news hit in the morning via TV and paper, and again while preparing for dinner. The NY Times website is free on the computers so you do not have to burn minutes if you want more detail.

The Amsterdam upgraded their internet satellite provider this year but had upgrade issues when we were on the ship the 1st part of this year as it was just installed. They had the new satellite company people fly to meet us and work to fix the problems. It was so bad, we all got discounts. As we sailed, the issues were less and less frequent and we have since heard the issues have been mostly resolved but satellite coverage in the middle of no where is always a question.

Enjoy your cruise!

Do the Dolphin deck port hole cabins have fridges?

Any other Amsterdam info will be much appreciated.

You might want to rethink the "port hole" cabin in favor of an Oceanview. Had one once on a Guarentee upgrade. It was the most uncomfortable stateroom we have ever had. The irregular shape left so little usable room that we had to go out in the hall just to change our minds.

I certainly would not recommend that cabin for a long cruise. Pray for an upgrade.

lazy1 and arzz, we will be on the same cruise:D My DH and I did a 49 day cruise last year from LA around the Horn to NYC. We did a sister line, and it was wonderful to live on a cruise ship for 7 weeks. We just do not know Hal very much..........I will miss my fridge, but I will request 2 ice buckets. Happy about the little newspaper and crossword. Understand very well about the TV, we lost most stations going around the Horn, all we had to watch was the Jodi Arias trial, go figure!

lazy1, please check out the night time entertainment, shows etc. we are night owls, and know Hal is usually not, we choose this cruise for the itinerary. Can you sneak on a bottle at the ports? Looking forward to meeting you and arzz.

Feedback from anyone else about the Amsterdam? Thanks everyone!!:D

I THINK the door is steel but I KNOW the walls will not hold a magnet.
I THINK the door is steel-clad so that a strong magnet will hold a light load, but our Cruise Critic "refrigerator magnet" would not stick to any door we ever tried it on. We put it on the door frame ... until it was stolen ... from high enough that young kids could not reach it. :mad:

Edited by jtl513

Ocean Dancer - recognized your name and knew you were from the Tales of the South Pacific :D

The "dueling" with the daily crossword from the Times Digest is one of the cruise traditions that DH and I really look forward to on the long cruises. To get two copies you have to get to the dining room or lido early enough in the morning before they run out - but the front desk will usually copy another for you if you ask.

The other tradition we usually participate in is the daily Trivia - though on the extended cruises it tends to be more of an olympic event -- haven't decided yet whether or not we will indulge in the "festivities" this cruise. Too early to commit.

You didn't mention which 45 day cruise you were taking, but if it is a segment of the Grand Asia or Grand World, and you advance to the new star level during the cruise it will be effective on that day. That policy is only for the Grand Voyages. Also we were in an ocean view on the Dolphin deck of the Amsterdam this year and magnets stuck just fine on the walls. I use the ones that come with the older sonicare tooth brushes. Also, when you board just ask your room steward to arrange the two double beds the way you want them; either together or apart.