AMEX Platinum benefits downgraded

royal65

We book through a TA we have used for about 25 years.

We are still getting the $300 shipboard credit -- just no dinner.

And as I said -- we booked months ago.

For an upcoming cruise I booked many months ago, I called AMEX and they said HAL should allow free Pinnacle dinner, but I should confirm with HAL. I called HAL and they did confirm.

I changed our assigned cabin number yesterday (Aug 13) through our AmEx TA. It was for our cruise which departs Nov 13, booked last Jan. I asked she provide a written copy of the AmEx Platinum benefits we will receive on this cruise. I have it in writing that we will receive our 1st night Pinnacle dinner, bottle of champagne and our OBC.

Hope this is helpful.

I am not sure what we will do about the card given not only the diminished cruise benefits along with the airline lounges disappearing.

The one big benefit of the Platinum card is the medical evacuation benefit, whether or not you have used the card to pay for your trip.

The Premium Global Assist is invaluable if you are outside the US and get sick. They will find an English speaking physician and will evacuate you at their expense. That is worth its weight in platinum to me.

Terri

After a few calls to American Express -- things have settled down and we will get the Pinnacle dinner.

It is HAL that is stating that you won't get the extra perks not American Express for people who booked cruises before June 1.

A letter is on its way to us confirming everything.

We will see once we are on the ship.

I called AMEX PTS back today. I had them verify with HAL that we were entitled to $300 shipboard credit, a Pinnacle Grill Dinner and a bottle of champagne for our cruise on August 25.

HAL told the rep that we were. I then asked the rep to put it in writing and send me an email stating such.

I am taking it with me just in case.

You know how it goes. If you have the documentation, you don't need it. If you don't have the documentation, that is when you definitely will need it.

So it is in writing.

Terri

I called AMEX PTS back today. I had them verify with HAL that we were entitled to $300 shipboard credit, a Pinnacle Grill Dinner and a bottle of champagne for our cruise on August 25.

HAL told the rep that we were. I then asked the rep to put it in writing and send me an email stating such.

I am taking it with me just in case.

You know how it goes. If you have the documentation, you don't need it. If you don't have the documentation, that is when you definitely will need it.

So it is in writing.

Terri

Excellent, Terri.

I am happy you have the benefits you expected and smart to have written confirmation. ;)

Have a great cruise. Please come back and tell us about it.

Excellent, Terri.

I am happy you have the benefits you expected and smart to have written confirmation. ;)

Have a great cruise. Please come back and tell us about it.

Thanks, Sail,

Didn't see this before. We leave home tomorrow and fly out on Tues. Spending a few days in Rome prior to the cruise.

Terri

For Canadians, the cost of the Amex Platinum increased significantly so that when mine came up for renewal earlier this year, I let it go. That and the reduced benefits was enough to make me look elsewhere. There are lots of choices in the "premium" card category, including those with very good medical coverage. The one I choose gave us the first year with no annual fee. The other perq that I have used is to find my best air-fare on any website, call the card's travel center, they will match it and give me a discount to boot!

The message, as always, is shop around and compare.

Happy cruising.

For Canadians, the cost of the Amex Platinum increased significantly so that when mine came up for renewal earlier this year, I let it go. That and the reduced benefits was enough to make me look elsewhere. There are lots of choices in the "premium" card category, including those with very good medical coverage. The one I choose gave us the first year with no annual fee. The other perq that I have used is to find my best air-fare on any website, call the card's travel center, they will match it and give me a discount to boot!

The message, as always, is shop around and compare.

Happy cruising.

That is interesting. This is the first time I booked with the PTS and believe me it will be the last time. It was the most underwhelming experience I ever had.

Terri