short visit in santorini

momx8

Our ship will only be in port from 8 till 3, which doesn't give us much time. I know we need to allow time for the tender and cable car, so what would be the best way for us to see Oia and also visit a beach? Or are they too far apart given the limited time we have?

I haven't been to Santorini yet. But given the short time that have, I would highly suggest you book a ship excursion if you want to get off the ship, on to a tender and still have time to do anything. I'm not sure what ship you are on but I personally wouldn't choose a ship in Europe with port times so short. Good luck whatever you do and enjoy your cruise.

We will be in NCL jade next summer, the 14 night cruise out of Venice. It is a great itinerary with this being the only one giving us problems planning due to the time.

Edited by momx8

We will be in NCL jade next summer, the 14 night cruise out of Venice. It is a great itinerary with this being the only one giving us problems planning due to the time.

The Jade when in Santorini gets in at 13.30 hrs until 22.00 hrs. Corfu has a time of 08.00 hrs to 15.30 hrs. Are you sure about your times and port?

I would think about looking at what the ship offers to see what the possibilities are. You might be able to duplicate the ship tour privately. Otherwise, I would agree with an earlier poster that the ship's tour might be the option.

I personally dont think you ahve enough time for Oia and the beach, it will be about an hour getting off the ship and at least an hour getting back on. How are you doing it yourself ?, the local Bus to Oia is easy. Check out Tomsportguides.com, a very good guide is in there for Santorini.

We did exactly the same cruise last year, and yes we DID have time to visit Oia AND the beach.

We were up early ready to get our tender tickets, grabbed a quick breakfast then our tender was called and we were on land soon after 8.30. There were no queues for the cable car, so we zipped up the cliff and walked to the car hire, about 10 mins and were on the road to Oia soon after 9.00. We drove to Oia first, ahead of all the crowds and the tours and had a very relaxing morning, walking through empty streets, sipping a cool drink overlooking the beautiful caldera. Then when everyone was arriving we made our way to a beach in the other side of the island and spent a little while on the beach before returning, we dropped off the car at 2.00 as we knew there would be queues to get down the cliff - and there were!

It took an hour to get down to the tender but we made it on time - in fact the ship was 2 hours late leaving as the queues were so horrendous.

We had a fabulous day and can thoroughly recommend going it alone! If you need any more help please ask away.

We are going to do exactly the same in August! Hope you have a super day.

Hi Ellie,

We will be in Santorini on Sept 1st Monday and would like to know which place did you rent your car. We are planning on doing the same Oia first then south to the beachs. Our schedule is 7 am to 5 pm on Equinox how do we get the tickets for the transportation to the shore?

Is it easy to park in Oia?

Sorry for all the questions but it's our 1st Med cruise.

Tks a lot for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Ellie,

We will be in Santorini on Sept 1st Monday and would like to know which place did you rent your car. We are planning on doing the same Oia first then south to the beachs. Our schedule is 7 am to 5 pm on Equinox how do we get the tickets for the transportation to the shore?

Tks a lot for any help

Try this one:

Tony's

Rent A Car & Moto

Firostefani -Santorini-Greece

Tell 0030---2286022863 Fax 0030--2286024113

http://www.santorini.com/rentals/tonys

http://www.travel-to-santorini.com/hotels/fira/hotelthira

email thiragr@otenet.gr

owner: Dacoronias Antonis

We twice have rented cars from Tony's, the latest in May, and we were very pleased with the service and quality of the car. They also can provide you with an automatic transmission vehicle. In May, we had a brand-new car with some power, enabling us to negotiate the hairpin turns up the mountain to Ancient Thera without any difficulties.

Also conveniently located just a short easy walk from the funicular terminus.

Hi Ellie,

Tks a lot for any help

Hi! We used Tony's car hire, we booked it through his website and got off the ship promptly so we did not wait to get up the cliff by cable car. You have much more time than we did as we left at 3.00 (though the ship's departure was delayed). I guess you will need to collect tender tickets on the day, so up early is the best way to go! Tony sent a map of how to get to the office and it was very easy to walk there. We were ahead of the crowds and found a big car park on the right hand side as you enter Oia. It was signposted. We were so early that there was nobody to take our money, but a gentleman was waiting there when we returned and we just paid him then. Lots of room in the car park as I think fewer people hire cars.

Please ask away if you need anything else. Tony only recommended the closest beach as we had so little time, and we did get there. Getting back through Fira was busy, so factor in that, as there were traffic jams. The beach was dark volcanic sand and VERY hot so take flip flops or you will burn! Water was nice and clear and there were umbrellas and chairs. He will give you a map and directions. It was lots of fun!

The car had about a quarter of a tank of fuel, plenty for a day's driving. We just topped it up to the same level on our way back - Tony marked where the petrol stations were on the map he gave us.

We are back in August and can't wait. I will try to work out how to put up some photos if I can.

Hope you have a great time!

Edited by ellie1145