Upsell offer ...advice needed

kurtmp3

Sailing Noordam in 3 1/2 weeks

Booked VH and being offered upgrade to SS-SZ signature for 400pp (11 day cruise) or to SA-SC Neptune for 1100pp

The difference in what I paid for the VH and the current price of the SZ is 400pp so doesn't seem like a deal to me

It looks like good amount of rooms still available for this cruise too. I think since they reduced prices in past couple weeks and the fact this offer is almost 4 weeks out they are looking to get people to upgrade

So the question is since I'm not willing to pay 800 total for this upgrade do I not answer the email and wait for another offer, or call and ask if they'd do it for 400 total? Hoping someone with experience in this can lend some advice

(FYI I booked directly with Holland and email came this afternoon)

Thanks for any help

So the question is since I'm not willing to pay 800 total for this upgrade do I not answer the email and wait for another offer, or call and ask if they'd do it for 400 total? Hoping someone with experience in this can lend some advice

The only time we tried an upgrade counter-offer (at about half what HAL wanted) it was not accepted. But, there's no harm in trying. By now the offer may be gone anyway. Good luck! :)

My instinct would be to wait for the next offer. It's clearly the "first round" of upsells on a cruise that's looking like it has a lot of availability and I'd speculate that at 3.5 weeks out they're leaving time to cut prices further if need be. You would think that if inventory was getting tight, they'd send the upsells out closer to sail date.

See what's offered at two weeks from sail date, and in the meantime keep checking to see if any categories have sold out. If it starts looking like they are, call and see if the upsell is still available.

(Keep in mind too that they may suddenly show nothing's available for about a day when they start assigning the guarantees and shuffling inventory)

Sailing Noordam in 3 1/2 weeks

Booked VH and being offered upgrade to SS-SZ signature for 400pp (11 day cruise) or to SA-SC Neptune for 1100pp

The difference in what I paid for the VH and the current price of the SZ is 400pp so doesn't seem like a deal to me

It looks like good amount of rooms still available for this cruise too. I think since they reduced prices in past couple weeks and the fact this offer is almost 4 weeks out they are looking to get people to upgrade

(FYI I booked directly with Holland and email came this afternoon)

Thanks for any help

IMO, I would pass on their offer - seems a bit high for a late date upsell. You can always counter offer and at least that way they know you are interested but at a lower price.

I looked up the pricing on your cruise and see the issue (I think). They are offering the SZ at a fairly low price (the SY is 60% higher than the SZ - almost unheard of difference!!). Also, your VH has been reduced quite a bit (I think) from what you paid and is now a $700 pp difference from the SZ (current prices). All of this sort of messes up the pricing/value comparison.

If you do decide to do it, be sure to ask which cabin you will be getting (often they offer you a choice). Have your deck plan chart handy and be sure to get one you will be happy with - do not settle for a guarantee if you can avoid it. A higher level category does not mean a "better" cabin, especially now that HAL just changed the sub-categories. For example, I selected an SY in a location that I like and marked my reservation "do not upgrade", as I like my location better than the higher ranked SS ones.

Good Luck

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Thanks for the quick replies, I think I am going to not answer it and take a pass for now

With this much time left before we sail I have a feeling there will be another round.

If not, no loss we'll be happy with a Verandah on its own

Definitely will make sure I have my deck chart handy if I do get a shot, definitely don't want to be below the pool deck if I can manage it

Thanks again...another day of proof of how valuable CC is

Thanks for the quick replies, I think I am going to not answer it and take a pass for now

With this much time left before we sail I have a feeling there will be another round.

If not, no loss we'll be happy with a Verandah on its own

Definitely will make sure I have my deck chart handy if I do get a shot, definitely don't want to be below the pool deck if I can manage it

Thanks again...another day of proof of how valuable CC is

You have the absolutely right attitude. As long as you are happy where you are, you can't lose:)

Here's hoping a better offer comes your way

Glad you took the pass. Just sit back, relax and wait for maybe an offer that is better. I thought it sounded a little high, too. We tried once to counter offer a up sell offer and Hal did come back with another offer but not the one we were looking for.

I'd do a fake booking (take it all the way to the point where the exact cabins are shown) and look at them very carefully. It's not just whether you end up under the pool...there are other things to consider. I recently took an upsell on the Westerdam (VC to SY) and ended up with a cabin right across from the stewards room and where the room service elevator is - very loud early in the AM. So be careful of doors across from the cabin that aren't identified as cabins.

We are on the Noordam July 23. In a VH guarantee. Had a very similar offer to yours last week, and another one yesterday. SS-SZ is now $299 and Neptune is $999. Glad you are waiting for another offer. As far as I can tell, only 2 of the available cabins in those categories last week are gone, as of today. Good Luck.

You made a sound decision. If you are receiving this offer through a TA, listen carefully. Our TA referred to the $800.00 pp upsell as the "first" offer. I infer from that that a second, better offer is at least possible.

Thanks for the heads up on that TBay, that definitely convinces me I should wait for something next week. Make sure you warmup the Noordam for us and we'll carry it on when we get on after you. Did you take this upgrade offer?

I'll definitely make sure I follow up if I get another offer Sail7seas...figure I should since I know I use other threads by searching to try and follow how any upsells went in the past. Time for me to pay back

Will let you all know if I get another one next week, at these prices bet there will be

And if not I'll enjoy my drinks on my VH deck!

Hi Kurtmp3! We did not take the offer. We were going to book an inside, and spent more to book the VH guarantee, so aren't sure we want to spend much more. With such a port intensive cruise we won't spend a lot of time in the cabin. I keep checking the HAL website, and most of the available cabins are still there. I may call today and make them a counter offer. Will keep you posted.

I see a lot of date ranges in this thread, and I'm just wondering what the sweet spot for upsells is?

We're currently 4 weeks out and hoping to get an upsell. Do we still have another week or two before HAL starts getting serious about them?

I see a lot of date ranges in this thread, and I'm just wondering what the sweet spot for upsells is?

We're currently 4 weeks out and hoping to get an upsell. Do we still have another week or two before HAL starts getting serious about them?

I have seen them as far out as 4 weeks, most most seem to be in the 2-3 week period.

DaveOKC

I had my last one at 4 weeks out - an Alaska cruise on the Westerdam. Offer was $149 for a balcony to an SS or SY. $299 for a SA to SC. Since the perks for the Neptune Suites don't interest either of us we took an SS cabin.

Sailing on the Noordam on July 23. VH guarantee. Upsell offer on July 7, $399 for SS and $1251 for Neptune. Another offer on July 10, $299 for SS and $999 for Neptune. Did call and they wouldn't accept a counter offer. Finally assigned a VD cabin on the 14th. I am happy with the cabin.

Sailing on the Noordam on July 23. VH guarantee. Upsell offer on July 7, $399 for SS and $1251 for Neptune. Another offer on July 10, $299 for SS and $999 for Neptune. Did call and they wouldn't accept a counter offer. Finally assigned a VD cabin on the 14th. I am happy with the cabin.

Were those prices pp or per cabin?

Can. You ring them and ask if they are doing any up sells or do you have to wait for the call from HAL we have booked a guarantee SY on a Eurodam which sails on the 27th July. It's a Baltic cruise. About 10 days ago it went sold out on all categories above varadah even though there was at least 15 suites still showing as available the day before. We still haven't been allocated our cabin no yet BTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the Verandah Cabins disappeared off availability a few days ago. Now everything but a ocean view is showing as 'not available'

Will update if another offer comes, or if that's means it's all gone

All the Verandah Cabins disappeared off availability a few days ago. Now everything but a ocean view is showing as 'not available'

Will update if another offer comes, or if that's means it's all gone

Hoping that they give you a Neptune for $2pp!

Let's us know, makes us feel like we're with you on the cruise!

Derek