Hop on hop off bus

Clang60

The Ho-ho bus is OK, but it doesn't get you close to many of the key sites, due to narrow streets or pedestrian only areas. You will be doing some walking.

As in many other cities with Ho-ho buses, they can get very crowded, and difficult to re-board. If you don't have mobility issues, walking is very easy around many of the Rome sites. The Vatican is the exception.

The two furthest points that most tourists are interested in, the Colosseum and the entrance to the Vatican Museums, are two and a half miles apart. Pretty much everything else a first or second time visitor wants to see is between these two points. The historical center of Rome is actually quite compact.

If you want to go from one to the other without any stops along the way, it's a 10 Euro cab ride, or you can use a bus or the metro.

It's ok for an overview and you can get to the Vatican and the Colosseum using it. We did it from the Vatican to the Colosseum. Then it poured down and we grabbed a taxi from the Colosseum back to the Vatican (was less than 10 Euros). You do see enough sites and fountains and it will give you an overview.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Given Rome's compactness, the HOHO is kind of an expensive way to get from one place to another. (As eurocruiser said, a taxi between the two furthest points covered is about 10 euro total -- if there are two of you, that's 5 euro pp.)

Also, if anyone is thinking it's a time saver, it really isn't. I have often passed HOHO buses stuck in Rome traffic while I was on foot. And if you get off at one of the sites, be prepared to wait for a while before another bus comes along (which may be full and not allow you to board).

Walking, with occasional use of the metro, a bus, or a taxi, is really the best way to see the sites in Rome.

I did use the HO HO for my 2nd trip to Rome. I purchased the 48 hour pass in US $ on viator dot com before ever leaving home. I felt pickpockets would be less of a threat when purchasing tickets would be a requirement to board (versus local transit that is on the honor system).

I knew what I wanted to show my friend, so broke down the city into Northern Section (Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc) and Southern Section (Colleseum, Forum, Circus Maximus, etc). We did walk to the Vatican the first morning (right into a Papal audience) WHAT A SURPRISE! I'm not even Catholic but it is an awesome event.

The Ho Ho's line up in from of St. Peters Square, I think there were 4 different companies. No problems exchanging our voucher to board the bus. There is a map on the website showing you where the stops are located and what sights those stops are close to. We left the hotel usually around 8 in the morning and returned usually around 6 in the evening. You still do plenty of walking, but let me tell you, my feet & back were ready for the seat on that bus back to the Vatican.

After the first day, we used taxi's both ways to/from the Vatican ranging from 10 EUR to 14 EUR (time of day makes a difference in the charge) even though the distance is the same. They also start the meter from wherever they are if you have your hotel call a taxi to come get you.

Overall we were very pleased with the HO HO bus, just sitting up top and eyeing the sights and sounds of Rome rather than being at street level was a great way to people watch. We didn't even mind sitting in traffic when the view around you is so great.

Have a great trip!

As others have said, the HoHO bus sits in traffic a lot and you can wait (standing!) a long time between buses. but if you stay on the bus and just see the sights it can be a good way to make the circuit.

If you plan to go to the Vatican Museum for the Sistine Chapel DO buy you tickets online ahead of time and then you just show your voucher to the guy guarding the head of the LONG line to get in (5 hr line when we where there!) and he lets you right in. Enjoy, m--

Rome ho-hos are a definite no-no for a port-of-call day.

Their only transportation value is between Termini station, the Colosseum (Forum is right next door) & the Vatican, they will cost far more money and time than a taxi or even the metro, they don't go close to Trevi, Spanish Steps, etc & they stick to the main - and busy - streets. They also often hang around for ten minutes or more at Termini & Vatican, frustratingly eating into your time. They pass so very few sights that the recorded commentary, if it works, is a waste of time - and IIRC the commentary timing on ours was out-of-synch with the places we were passing.:rolleyes:

For a rather poor over-view or a lazy day they're OK if you're in Rome for a few days, that's when we did it.

And you may have gotten the impression that we weren't impressed :D

JB :)

Edited by John Bull