electronic smokes

Just out of curiosity, if electronic cigs do not emit "smoke" nor smell, how will anyone know you are using one in your stateroom unless you leave it out?

I know what policy says, so you don't have to print it. I am wondering about the actual question.

As stated above. They won't. My wife uses hers in bed and I can't smell a thing and I'm right next to her

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

Just out of curiosity, if electronic cigs do not emit "smoke" nor smell, how will anyone know you are using one in your stateroom unless you leave it out?

I know what policy says, so you don't have to print it. I am wondering about the actual question.

That's something I've been wondering about too. I am a smoker, and, partly based on the new smoking policy that Carnival will be imposing, as well as for personal reasons, I've started doing research on e-cigs. What I would suggest is, before using an e-cig on the ship, test it out at home. Ask an adult family member or friend that is a non-smoker, preferrably with a very good sense of smell, to be your smell tester, guinea pig, or however you want to refer to it. Take several puffs on an e-cig, both indoors and outside, and get their opinion / reaction. That way you'll know if there are any lingering, noticeable or objectionable smells. Speaking only for myself, after several years of smoking cigarettes, my sense of smell is somewhat dulled. My DW is a non-smoker, so I'll be asking her to be my "guinea pig".;)

They won't. And if someone sees you, and they ask, just tell them it's a nebulizer. Don't flaunt it, and you'll have few issues.

BEACHBUM53, please let me know your findings, as it is just my husband & myself, and both of us smoke, so neither of us is going to be good at smelling.

I guess the one upside, if this works, is that we will no longer have to pay out the nose for a balcony.

They won't. And if someone sees you, and they ask, just tell them it's a nebulizer. Don't flaunt it, and you'll have few issues.

Speaking of nebulizers, there's a new very portable one. It won't be long before someone uses it with e juice and it would appear to be medicinal. Of course if it works, imagine how many "medicinal" appliances there would be?

BEACHBUM53, please let me know your findings, as it is just my husband & myself, and both of us smoke, so neither of us is going to be good at smelling.

I guess the one upside, if this works, is that we will no longer have to pay out the nose for a balcony.

I used mine on a flight from NY to LA. 6 hours and not one person noticed. Not even my husband sitting right next to me.

beachbum53: Check out Greensmoke. I think their product is far superior to most of the e-cig style brands out there. A bit higher price, but great quality and customer service. greensmoke.com. Puts V2 and the others to shame, in my opinion.

I think a lot of the policies are coming into play due to the huge "tank-style" vaping devices. The cigarette-style or smaller tank-style are really discreet - if you don't make exhaling obvious, no one will know, and they really don't produce enough vapor to be intrusive to others. The big tanks - not so much, especially (agree with momof4boys) if someone has some really fragrant flavor like cherry or chocolate.

You may be able to get away with the use of an E-Cigarette in your cabin, although I am sure that Carnival is aware of the potential use of these "devices" and if they want to catch you, I am sure that they have the technology to do so. One must remember, that when you sail on a cruise line you agree to abide by all their rules and regulations. It is my understanding that E-Cigarettes are regarded by Carnival (as well as most other cruise lines) as being similar to conventional cigarettes and their rules and regulations do restrict the use. Carnival has the right to fine you and in extreme cases to even put you off of the boat, if they discover you using these devices in restricted areas which would include both the cabins and the balconies.

In short, why bother.

Just smoke your E-Cigarettes in the designated areas.

Enjoy the cruise.

The issue I have with e cigs is what potential chemical compounds are in the vapor. There has been no government studies that I am aware of. So please smoke them in the designated areas.

There have been non-government studies and current government FDA approved studies are on-going. So far the results have been very favorable to e-cigs.

Some flavors leave a scent behind and occasionally I can see a light mist in a room with sunlight and no ventilation. I have one that smells like fresh picked berries, but my every day juice has no scent whatsoever. I can smell my DH's peppermint, also. Unless you use a flavor that tries to be like tobacco(these are gross, btw), it just smells like gum or candy.

I would never use a pre-loaded cartridge e-cig from a drug store again. I tried one once and besides tasting awful, it made me feel sick for some time. I use a refillable vapor device with a removable battery & tank and buy my juice from someone local who mixes it for me according to my ingredient wishes.

I don't know how safe vapor devices are, but I do know these things:

I can breathe deeper and more effectively than I have for 35 years,

I can taste flavors the way they should be,

I am no longer nicotine dependent, yep, down to 0%.

I save about $140 per month not smoking anymore.

The one drawback I have noticed is that since I quit smoking my asthma has become much more sensitive to the exposure of smoke and perfumes.

I can live with that.

I have an excellent sense of smell, I hate smoke and e cigs have no odor.

FYI Balconies are smoke free as of October 9, 2014:eek:

Please remember to not add any flavoring which causes a scent. What one person thinks is lovely, another may not like.

Hmmm. Even though I haven't tried one yet, I was thinking about giving one of the chocolate cartridges a try. The fruit flavored/scented ones are of no interest to me. As many chocaholics as there are in this world, I can't imagine anyone objecting to a little chocolate scent.

FYI Balconies are smoke free as of October 9, 2014:eek:

By now, we smokers (and everyone else here) are aware of that, thanks to the pressure put on Carnival by the non-smokers. That being said, e-cigarettes do not produce smoke. I have no doubt that there will be many e-cig users on the balconies, and, unless they peak around the partitions, the non-smokers will never be aware of it. I could be wrong, but I think there'll be more people getting caught using rum-runners to try to sneak alcohol on board than there will be e-cig users getting caught puffing in their cabin or on their balcony.

Edited by beachbum53

Hmmm. Even though I haven't tried one yet, I was thinking about giving one of the chocolate cartridges a try. The fruit flavored/scented ones are of no interest to me. As many chocaholics as there are in this world, I can't imagine anyone objecting to a little chocolate scent.

don't kid yourself about odors and how others feel about them

why no e cigs in cabins? that's the point I don't get.

people get so upset when they see someone who has what they think is a cigarette. that's the problem, but businesses have to get in touch with reality.

I used mine on a flight from NY to LA. 6 hours and not one person noticed. Not even my husband sitting right next to me.

Do some airlines allow the use of e-cigs on the planes?

don't kid yourself about odors and how others feel about them

why no e cigs in cabins? that's the point I don't get.

people get so upset when they see someone who has what they think is a cigarette. that's the problem, but businesses have to get in touch with reality.

As far as something that has an odor, I would much rather sit next to someone that has an e-cig going than someone that has on so much perfume that it makes me gag and makes my eyes burn.

On the Carnival Valor I smoked an ecig in my cabin and on about the 4th night it set off the fire alarm in the cabin. About 1 min later fire crew were pounding on the door. They assumed it was from the shower when they could not detect any odors but needless to say I did not smoke it in the cabin after that.

For those who say there are no studies do your own research and you'll find the EPA and FDA have studied the chemical and it is generally considered safe for human consumption.

Yes it has been tested for breathability. The chemical has been on the market since before the 2nd world war, and has been tested plenty.

Fyi it's already in use in hospitals and transplant medication.

I'm tired of doing people's research. You all need to do a basic google search before posting ignorant comments