Why doesn't RCI respond?

We all remember the Bsan cruise cancellation thread (for lack of another title) and RCI's subsequent posting thru Bsan and the moderator. Clearly they took issue with this thread and felt the need to convey their message. I wonder why they don't feel the need to address, for instance, the Bermuda-to-Canada cruise when that, too, was a heated issue that impacted a few thousand people. Or why they don't address the bottle consumption fee, which is having an obvious impact also. Obviously they cannot address every concern posted, but when one issue seems pervasive on the CC boards, it seems a good opportunity for them to set the record straight, so to speak. Even if it is a bland, corporate-speak memo - at least it would show a good faith effort to communicate with customers.

I think the Bsan thing was an inside problem with an employee of RCI. It was also an unusual event, being a heavily discounted ticket at a last minute sale, she was, in a way, sailing standby, right?

The Canada/Bermuda issue was unfortunate, but that is what can happen on a cruise and RCI was withing its legal rights to change the itinerary. Read the cruise contract, they really have no obligation to get you to your listed ports and they will not subject their customers to danger if they know in advance. I can only imagine what that thread could have been like if the ship was tossed around in a storm and not been able to go to any port at all. Weather can change, hurricanes can change course, they went with the info they had at the time.

Give the wine surcharge thing more time. If enough people bombard them with their dismay, they just might renege on their decision. It worked with Celebrity on the T-pool charges.

I don't think it would be wise for any cruise line to get too involved with this board. It's an open, public forum, so even if they did, an awful lot of people here wouldn't believe it anyway. The rumors that get started here sometimes amaze me and so many people buy into rumor. Look at the honeymoon thread, so much of it is fabrication and personal opinion with many people thinking it is absolute truth.

I think they have answered the Bermuda to Canada issue but people just don't accept it. Their best judgement for the safety of the ship and the passengers was to avoid the tropical storm. While other cruise lines took the risk they chose not to. If the weather turned out different, as it easily could have, we would be here debating why other cruise lines took the chance and what compensation their passengers should get for the cruise line heading into a storm and how smart RC was.

I think they have answered the Bermuda to Canada issue but people just don't accept it. Their best judgement for the safety of the ship and the passengers was to avoid the tropical storm. While other cruise lines took the risk they chose not to. If the weather turned out different, as it easily could have, we would be here debating why other cruise lines took the chance and what compensation their passengers should get for the cruise line heading into a storm and how smart RC was.

=========================

were you on this cruise?

From the statement rjg41 made, I don't think it matters if they were on the cruise or not. Their statement pretty much stands on its own.

jmo

-Monte

Amen,right on ,absolutly and double ditto..

oh...and

JMOA :D

I so agree, too! If the ship HAD gone to Bermuda and had encontered rough seas or worse, tese folks would have been screaming that RCL is SUPPOSED to alter itineraries to protect them. If you're going on that trip to Bermuda, I'm not sure where these folks feel a better itinerary would be? Maybe a 5 day trip to nowhere?

I . If you're going on that trip to Bermuda, I'm not sure where these folks feel a better itinerary would be? Maybe a 5 day trip to nowhere?

yes the folks onboard would have preferred a trip to nowhere, I know because I was on the ship. Totally understood the reason for the diversion but the weather stunk in Canada. The first sea day people were still happy because the sun was shining. If we had just sailed around NY harbor, enjoyed the beautiful ship and the hot sun we'd have been much happier. I'm sure a few wouldn't have been, but I was there..I heard the words direct from the mouths of many many passengers..take us where the sun is shining.

I also was on this cruise. I really don't think people understand what the cruise was like i really don't. Everyone can say it do's not matter where you go. the ship is your vacation, yes i understand this but what people on this board don't seem to get is we did not get to use what the ship had to offer no outside activities on the upper pool deck none! And this was because they kept the ship in very foggy cool weather for the whole trip not one day four days yes four!!! I do think rccl should say something it is good public relations. I would think they would want repeat customers.

I also was on this cruise. I really don't think people understand what the cruise was like i really don't. Everyone can say it do's not matter where you go. the ship is your vacation, yes i understand this but what people on this board don't seem to get is we did not get to use what the ship had to offer no outside activities on the upper pool deck none! And this was because they kept the ship in very foggy cool weather for the whole trip not one day four days yes four!!! I do think rccl should say something it is good public relations. I would think they would want repeat customers.

agreed colliegirl.People were disappointed, but not so angry the first day when the weather was good and we were told we were diverting to 'get to better weather' . When the weather tanked there was nothing to do. Passengers begged to just do ONE port in Canada and then leave to find sunshine. It didn't happen. It could have been so much better.

We might not have been on that particular cruise,but we have been on others.

Everyone (at least who has responded lately) has been on some sort of "diverted" Itinerary..Last year for us it was Ivan..

There is nothing special or outrageous about your cruise...It happens all the time on some cruise line.The only difference is most people don't beat theirs to death.

We might not have been on that particular cruise,but we have been on others.

Everyone (at least who has responded lately) has been on some sort of "diverted" Itinerary..Last year for us it was Ivan..

There is nothing special or outrageous about your cruise...It happens all the time on some cruise line.The only difference is most people don't beat theirs to death.

and did you miss one port out of three, or four? We missed our whole itinerary. I am sorry that yours was diverted, too bad you have no sympathy for ours.

I can not wait till the day a cruise is ruined to some of these folks who just dont seem to care. Then when it is time for them to vent who will have the last laugh!!! not me because i will care and feel for them ,not make fun. All we would like is too hear from rccl. i wrote a letter yes and told them how disappointed i was as iam sure a lot of other passengers. and yes i did ask for credit on a next cruise is that too much to ask we did miss our whole port. the whole cruise was changed. I would not have minded if we saw some sun. but from the othe boards i do know other ships went to bermuda and they were safe damp and warm. with some sun. We saw fog ha! ha! Even if i get no credit i should recieve some type of letter lets see what happen's.

colliegirl I know isn't it sad that nobody gets the fact that even though RC did what they were legally entitled to do, their handling of it was poor, to say the least. I've had poor service from many places of business, that while legal were still not good business. Many of those businesses realize that even though they may not have a legal obligation to do anything for their customer, they have another reason to do it..good customer relations.

I agree that people could have been TOLD in a different way and SPOKEN to in a different manner. In this respect, RC customer service was severely below where it should have been.

BUT...they didn't take you to Canada so that you could have "more bad weather." They EXPECTED and TRIED to get you to ports with decent weather. Canada has been having lovely summer weather all season. You ALSO hit some bad luck there. RC didn't PLAN the fog; fog happens.

You can say now, "Oh, everyone would have been PERFECTLY happy going absolutely nowhere for five days", but IF the Captain HAD, in fact, sailed out into the Atlantic and just "sailed around" for five days, and then taken you back to Bayonne, you are NOT going to convince me that you would NOT have had JUST AS MUCH complaining from people. "Oh, we didn't even GO anywhere! We paid for a trip to Bermuda, and the idiot Captain just sailed around in circles! Why couldn't the moron find SOME PLACE to take us? If I had WANTED a cruise to nowhere, I would have signed up for one! I thought I would go crazy, never seeing land for five days! How dare they not take us SOMEWHERE!!!"

JMO YMMV

I agree that people could have been TOLD in a different way and SPOKEN to in a different manner. In this respect, RC customer service was severely below where it should have been.

BUT...they didn't take you to Canada so that you could have "more bad weather." They EXPECTED and TRIED to get you to ports with decent weather. Canada has been having lovely summer weather all season. You ALSO hit some bad luck there. RC didn't PLAN the fog; fog happens.

You can say now, "Oh, everyone would have been PERFECTLY happy going absolutely nowhere for five days", but IF the Captain HAD, in fact, sailed out into the Atlantic and just "sailed around" for five days, and then taken you back to Bayonne, you are NOT going to convince me that you would NOT have had JUST AS MUCH complaining from people. "Oh, we didn't even GO anywhere! We paid for a trip to Bermuda, and the idiot Captain just sailed around in circles! Why couldn't the moron find SOME PLACE to take us? If I had WANTED a cruise to nowhere, I would have signed up for one! I thought I would go crazy, never seeing land for five days! How dare they not take us SOMEWHERE!!!"

JMO YMMV

well all I can say is I actually was on the ship so I have a whole lot better idea what would have made the majority of people happier than they were. As I said before, they could have gone to ONE port ONE day and then added another sea day and then they could say they did what something for everyone. I was there so I heard directly from the people's mouths that as soon as we found out what the weather was like in Canada the MAJORITY of people would rather have gone back to sail around new york harbor where at least we could use the pool. Since everyone here has screamed at us that the ship is the destination I don't know how you could disagree that that would have been better than being in a place where we could not even get outside and enjoy the ship we were on.

I dont' think the captiain ever tried to find good weather, I think the captiain and rccl new what kind of weather we would be sailing in. with all our high tech. weather equipment these days. didn't you feel like we could crash into something at anytime with all that fog? I think the captain put all of us in danger sailing in fog so thick you could not see. I mean you could not see 3 feet in front of you if you tried to look over the ship forget it you could not see any thing but white. good thing we had that 24 hour fog horn to keep us up all night, so we could keep in partying!! sailing in weather like this sound safe? rccl should be printing out letters to all passengers of this ship.;)

I dont' think the captiain ever tried to find good weather, I think the captiain and rccl new what kind of weather we would be sailing in. with all our high tech. weather equipment these days. didn't you feel like we could crash into something at anytime with all that fog? I think the captain put all of us in danger sailing in fog so thick you could not see. I mean you could not see 3 feet in front of you if you tried to look over the ship forget it you could not see any thing but white. good thing we had that 24 hour fog horn to keep us up all night, so we could keep in partying!! sailing in weather like this sound safe? rccl should be printing out letters to all passengers of this ship.;)

oh yeah colliegirl, that freaking fog horn. My head was pounding from hearing that darn thing every minute and a half the last day. Yes, every minute and a half, I timed it. Heck, Collie, the fog was so thick they could have told us we were anywhere--pick a place-- and we wouldn't have known the difference!

Archived