Why doesn't RCI respond?

I dont' think the captiain ever tried to find good weather...
I know you were disappointed in how your cruise turned out, but RCI wouldn't be in the position in the industry they are today if they made a habit of purposely disappointing their passengers.

Let me ask you something - have you ever made plans based on the 5 day weather forecast and then within a day or two had the weather turn out completely different than what was being forecasted when you made the decision?

I know you were disappointed in how your cruise turned out, but RCI wouldn't be in the position in the industry they are today if they made a habit of purposely disappointing their passengers.

Let me ask you something - have you ever made plans based on the 5 day weather forecast and then within a day or two had the weather turn out completely different than what was being forecasted when you made the decision?

that still does not explain why they continued on to the SECOND canadian port after seeing how bad the weather was when the passengers were begging the captain to skip the second port and just head south to warmer weather.

I check these boards often... I knew the other topics you mentioned, but what was the Bsan cancellation thing.... anyone have a link to the post.

Steve

The Bsan thread was pulled at her request. RCI made amends with her and asked for her to do it.

The RCI employee remark was funny. I doubt there are a lot of RCI employees here, more like many (like me) who have been on these boards for several years and have read the same itinerary change/fiasco many times.

I do not laugh at those who were diverted, I do feel sorry for them. It sucks big time. But, that is the world of cruising, it does happen from time to time. Good luck getting anything from RCI from it. Keep all copies of letters, emails, send your letters registered, return receipt requested, then be prepared to wait....4 months, sometimes more. This is not just for RCI, it is for all cruise lines. The customer service is real bad for past customers. Good luck to all of you, I do hope you receive something for your disappointment, just don't get your hopes up too high.

If the cruiseline did not stop at a foreign port, they would have been subjected to very heavy fines, somewhere in the area of $300 per person. I don't know my geography well enough to know where else that foreign port would be, other than where the ship went.

I have been on a ship a few times during a heavy storm, believe me, I would take fog over a storm at sea any day.

that still does not explain why they continued on to the SECOND canadian port after seeing how bad the weather was when the passengers were begging the captain to skip the second port and just head south to warmer weather.
It would be interesting (to you much more than me, certainly) to hear exactly why/how the itinerary decisions were made, and what their reasoning was, but I still doubt they were made with the idea of 'lets have some fun and see how mad we can make the passengers'.

It would be interesting (to you much more than me, certainly) to hear exactly why/how the itinerary decisions were made, and what their reasoning was, but I still doubt they were made with the idea of 'lets have some fun and see how mad we can make the passengers'.

Agreed. It would have been VERY nice to have heard from ANYONE what was going on and WHY. But not a peep came from RC until the 4th night of a 5 night cruise and it STILL did not address the reasons why we had to stay in Canada despite the bad weather. And THAT lack of communication and lack of concern for the passengers' questions is why people are so angry..NOT just the fact that there was a diversion.

I THINK WHAT IRRITATED A LOT OF PEOPLE ABOUT THE BERMUDA /CANADA EXPERIENCE WAS FINDING OUT THAT CARNIVAL AND PRINCESS ACTUALLY MADE IT TO BERMUDA WITHOUT MUCH FANFARE.aLSO THE FACT THAT RCCL MADE THE DECISION 2 DAYS BEFORE SAILING AND NOT GIVING PEOPLE THE OPTION TO CANCEL IF THEY WANTED TO.i BELIVE NORWEGIAN HAS A POLICY IF THE CRUISE IS DELAYED FOR MORE THAN 12 HOURS OR BEING DIVERTED THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE OPTION OF NOT GOING WITH A REFUND,i THINK THIS IS WHAT BURNED A LOT OF PEOPLE.WERE GOING ON VOYAGER SEPT 9TH AND I SURE WOULDN'T BE HAPPY ABOUT GOING TO CANADA(WHEN I CAN DRIVE THERE IN 3 HOURS FROM WHERE I LIVE)

I think the Bsan thing was an inside problem with an employee of RCI. It was also an unusual event, being a heavily discounted ticket at a last minute sale, she was, in a way, sailing standby, right?

The Canada/Bermuda issue was unfortunate, but that is what can happen on a cruise and RCI was withing its legal rights to change the itinerary. Read the cruise contract, they really have no obligation to get you to your listed ports and they will not subject their customers to danger if they know in advance. I can only imagine what that thread could have been like if the ship was tossed around in a storm and not been able to go to any port at all. Weather can change, hurricanes can change course, they went with the info they had at the time.

Give the wine surcharge thing more time. If enough people bombard them with their dismay, they just might renege on their decision. It worked with Celebrity on the T-pool charges.

I don't think it would be wise for any cruise line to get too involved with this board. It's an open, public forum, so even if they did, an awful lot of people here wouldn't believe it anyway. The rumors that get started here sometimes amaze me and so many people buy into rumor. Look at the honeymoon thread, so much of it is fabrication and personal opinion with many people thinking it is absolute truth.

when the passengers were begging the captain to skip the second port and just head south to warmer weather.

And since when is deciding where and when to sail a democratic decision on a ship? Don't you think that's a decision for the captain to make? You're telling me 2000+ passengers were begging the captain? Hard to believe. Next thing, you'll say there was almost a mutiny.

WAS FINDING OUT THAT CARNIVAL AND PRINCESS ACTUALLY MADE IT TO BERMUDA WITHOUT MUCH FANFARE.

That doesn't mean the captain or the company didn't make the right decision. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can be sure the diversion was because they had the passengers safety in mind from the very start. Just because other cruise ships "made it" to Bermuda under the conditions doesn't necessarily mean it was the right decision.

Howard

I THINK WHAT IRRITATED A LOT OF PEOPLE ABOUT THE BERMUDA /CANADA EXPERIENCE WAS FINDING OUT THAT CARNIVAL AND PRINCESS ACTUALLY MADE IT TO BERMUDA WITHOUT MUCH FANFARE.aLSO THE FACT THAT RCCL MADE THE DECISION 2 DAYS BEFORE SAILING AND NOT GIVING PEOPLE THE OPTION TO CANCEL IF THEY WANTED TO.i BELIVE NORWEGIAN HAS A POLICY IF THE CRUISE IS DELAYED FOR MORE THAN 12 HOURS OR BEING DIVERTED THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE OPTION OF NOT GOING WITH A REFUND,i THINK THIS IS WHAT BURNED A LOT OF PEOPLE.WERE GOING ON VOYAGER SEPT 9TH AND I SURE WOULDN'T BE HAPPY ABOUT GOING TO CANADA(WHEN I CAN DRIVE THERE IN 3 HOURS FROM WHERE I LIVE)

That's funny since Carnival didn't even have a ship sailing to Bermuda at the same time as that cruise. And the decision to divert wasn't made 2 days before sailing.

Welcome to the board (or more likely, welcome to your new identity).

According to press reports, RCCL made the decision the night before. I think claiming that you should be allow to cancel if you don't like their decisions is immature and ignores the fact that you got a much better price because, guess what, you travelled during hurricane season and this is one of the risks associated with it. You took a gamble and lost. I don't think the sailaway was delayed by 12 hours so I'm not sure where the analogy lies but when you agreed to the cruise contract by buying a ticket, did you mean unless you disagree with something in it?

All right people...this is indeed an example of 20/20 hindsight. The Capt made what turned out to be a bad call, but as was said earlier, what would everyone be saying if he had decided to follow the regular itinery and had indeed run into a hurricane??? I'm sorry to those that might've been disappointed in their cruise, but for crying out loud, you gotta get over it.

jmo

-Monte

And since when is deciding where and when to sail a democratic decision on a ship? Don't you think that's a decision for the captain to make? You're telling me 2000+ passengers were begging the captain? Hard to believe. Next thing, you'll say there was almost a mutiny.

Howard

The passengers were told (by the captain) that a representative from RC was going to come onboard in Canada and explain what the options were. That did not happen. The captain told us it was NOT his decision, it was Miami's decision and that he only sails where they tell him to sail. So NO it's NOT apparently a decision for the captain to make. As paying customers (HIGH paying customers) we felt we at least deserved to be spoken to instead of being told nothing other than 'you're going to canada, get on the ship or lose your money'. How do you know how many passengers were begging for this, were you on the cruise? I was...

I am a reasonable person, I understand the risks of cruising during hurricane season, I have cruised several times and am not ignorant of how things are done. I tookt he news of the diversion with disappointment...and then a smile and a decision to make the best of it. And I am also ofthe opinion that RC handled this entire situation VERY poorly and did not do right by their customers. I made no scenes, I didn't whine. In fact, as I approached the entrance to the terminal to get onboard, a young female employee was handing out the letters to people telling them where they were going. I had already seen the letter (from another member of our party who reached the terminal before us) so when the young lady reached out to hand me one I said "No thank you, I already know". She said, "and you're still smiling? THANK YOU!" I had already decided to make the best of it. Unfortunately RC fell far short of doing the least bit possible to make everyone feel good about this trip. They only did what the law required..$45.20. They showed very clearly that they had NO interest in doing anything else to make folks appreciate the fact that they were paying far more than they should for what they were getting. Despite what some have posted here about comparing prices, it is fact that most paid far more for the Bermuda cruise than they would have paid for Canada. My travel agent confirmed that we paid probably $900 per cabin more than we would have paid to go to Canada. RC didn't even discount sweatshirts in the ship store. How easy would that have been! ANYTHING but the total silence we got would have been welcome.

If there were 2 or 3 other ships in port, then the Voyager very likely would have been tendered, and that's VERY dangerous in bad weather.

It's a safety issue. It wasn't a bad call unless they had a berth at the dock, could have gotten there, etc.

RCI will ALWAYS err on the side of safety.

If there were 2 or 3 other ships in port, then the Voyager very likely would have been tendered, and that's VERY dangerous in bad weather.

It's a safety issue. It wasn't a bad call unless they had a berth at the dock, could have gotten there, etc.

RCI will ALWAYS err on the side of safety.

no tendering. The other ships that went are smaller and dock in hamilton and st. george. The VOS is all by itself at KingsWharf.

How do you know how many passengers were begging for this, were you on the cruise?

I don't - which is why I was questioning you on your statement. - which I took as a bit exaggerated.

I am a reasonable person, I understand the risks of cruising during hurricane season, I have cruised several times and am not ignorant of how things are done. I tookt he news of the diversion with disappointment...and then a smile and a decision to make the best of it.

So why are you making this into a big deal? Before going on the cruise, surely you knew it was a possibility, and, being the experienced cruiser that you are, as you say, should just accept what happened - end of story. Instead, you're posting left and right making such a big deal out of it. It's history - done deal - we've heard enough.

I made no scenes, I didn't whine.

But you are now - are you not?

Howard

I don't - which is why I was questioning you on your statement. - which I took as a bit exaggerated.

So why are you making this into a big deal? Before going on the cruise, surely you knew it was a possibility, and, being the experienced cruiser that you are, as you say, should just accept what happened - end of story. Instead, you're posting left and right making such a big deal out of it. It's history - done deal - we've heard enough.

But you are now - are you not?

Howard

well if you consider politely explaining why you think a company handled themselves badly whining...well you're entitled to feel that way. I don't consider it whining. If you've heard enough perhaps you shouldn't revisit this thread. ;)

I also was on this sailing and sent my letters off to Royal Caribbean and have received nothing back which is no surprise - just another case of their lack of service - at a minimum a form letter - "thank your for your thoughts, etc" would at least acknowledge that they even read it.

I plan to continue cruising but unless I get some sort of acceptable response - not necessarily monetary - it will be on another line - the Voyager ships are great but at the end of the day, the ports are basically the same and you can get them on the other lines at at a cheaper cost - (have already sailed Princess - not bad...) and after I book and pay for future cruises, I will send along my total expenses spent on the other line and send to the same Royal Caribbean bigwigs my other letters have gone to and tell them - this is revenue you have lost. I know they dont care but it will make me feel better ....

One more point - just because we sign and agree to a contract that Royal Caribbean has put together does NOT make it law. Many contracts once litigated do not stand up in court. I am not interested in suing because I would rather use that money to vacation but just because Royal Caribbean puts the contract together and we sign it does not make it official law.......

To address the issue of "other ships" "making it" to Bermuda:

As has been posted on these boards a few (:)) times, THOSE OTHER SHIPS were on 7 or 7+ day cruises. They had more latitude (pun intended) to swing wide, and wait out the hurricane before moving towards Bermuda, and still make it there and back within their 7 day time span. A five day itinerary just doesn't have the time to do that. RC and the Captain had to decide what to do with a cruise that was sea day - Bermuda - Bermuda - sea day.

I have to post this to show "what could have happened to all of you."

All of this is actual fact from my first cruise. I have posted this on here before and it might be long and boring for those who don't want to hear "the other side".

For me to go into detail on our hurricane Hugo cruise is all fact.

The Captain announced that we would sail and try to outrun the storm that was coming. We would try to stay out of the way and far enough from it.

The next morning was sunny and beautiful and we thought great!

Then it hit. We sailed around out in the Caribbean for days and most of the islands and ports were so damaged that no one could let us dock. I finally was able to call my family and let them know that we had indeed survived a frightening adventure. It cost me 90+ dollars in those days for 3 minutes to reach them by satelite.

We were finally allowed to come into St. Thomas. The natives came down to the dock and shown their car headlights for us to see where to dock. To see a banana truck pull up and load some fruit was wonderful. There were no lights and no power anywhere on the island. The site that we saw was total destruction everywhere. Vacationers in the hotels were waving white flags from their place asking for help. There was no way off of the island for them. There were a tremendous amount of passengers from another cruise line who's ship put them off on the island and sailed out to sea to better handle the hurricane without the passengers.

We were allowed to get off the ship and only walk around by the Havenstraw mall shops. We were warned that we could not go anywhere else. There was a door to a shop with a sign on it that read. I am unlocked, please do not break the door to get in. That was because the looting was so bad.

There was a lady in one of the shops whom we stopped to talk to. Her livingroom and part of her house had slid down the mountain overnight. But, there she was trying to get on with her normal day.

We were running out of water by now and were asked to kindly conserve it, by just brushing our teeth and etc. Arriving in San Juan we were put off the ship and driven to the airport. That was a horrow story in itself with thousands of people stranded there for the better part of a week with no electric, no food, no water, and no toilets. It was by far the worst stench and sight I had seen. The first American airlines plane allowed to land in Puerto Rico was ours. It flew down to get a lot of us from the cruise off the island. I felt quilty getting on that plane because there were whole families there with babies and small children with no facilities or diapers, food, water who were just sitting and waiting for a plane to get them home.

The pilot boarded us and told us we would be sitting on the plane for a long time, but at least that way we had a bathroom. We sat out on the runway for a very long time waiting to take off. The crew brought cheese and crackers down from the US for food because in San Juan, there was none to put on board for meals.

I realize this was long, but when I hear people complain about changing course, they should be thankful that they have food and water and all the luxury of their cruiseship.

After what I saw that time, I don't care where they take me. I saw the worst of what a storm can do and I realize that the Captain is the final say in where his ship goes. I must add for the defense of our Captain. He sailed with us from San Juan because we knew it was going to hit there full force the next day. He was trying to keep us safe by sailing. The storm just was larger than predicted.

He didn't get to be a Captain by putting his passengers in "Harms Way."

I have done 20 more cruises since then. I have missed many ports for one reason or another. Yes, a lot of them caused by hurricanes and too much damage to dock. Did it ruin our cruise. No.

I also was on this sailing and sent my letters off to Royal Caribbean and have received nothing back which is no surprise - just another case of their lack of service - at a minimum a form letter - "thank your for your thoughts, etc" would at least acknowledge that they even read it.

I plan to continue cruising but unless I get some sort of acceptable response - not necessarily monetary - it will be on another line - the Voyager ships are great but at the end of the day, the ports are basically the same and you can get them on the other lines at at a cheaper cost - (have already sailed Princess - not bad...) and after I book and pay for future cruises, I will send along my total expenses spent on the other line and send to the same Royal Caribbean bigwigs my other letters have gone to and tell them - this is revenue you have lost. I know they dont care but it will make me feel better ....

One more point - just because we sign and agree to a contract that Royal Caribbean has put together does NOT make it law. Many contracts once litigated do not stand up in court. I am not interested in suing because I would rather use that money to vacation but just because Royal Caribbean puts the contract together and we sign it does not make it official law.......

you're right about that Odiesam..just because a company writes something in their contract deosn't mean it will withstand scrutiny in court.

I've also sent a letter, have received no response as yet. I also plan to cruise again, and I also plan to try to find another cruise line to give my money to if RCCL doesn't value my patronage.

:eek: :eek: Well, Alexis, all I can say is I'm amazed you kept cruising after that one!!!!!......and, thanks for posting your description. It really, really puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

I was in Maryland last week. Pretty hot and muggy over there on the east coast, huh? Wish you were back in NV with the dry heat? But, oh, yeah, I was there, too, last month and it was ONE HUNDRED EIGHTEEN, so I think hot andl muggy is better, huh? :D :D :D

Archived