Why doesn't RCI respond?

Yes, it was 120 one day in Vegas. I could take that. Hot and Humid here too. I can't take the humidity. :(

What I left out on my Hurricane Hugo story would fill a page or two on here. I don't wish our type of cruise on anyone. It was a terrifying experience, and the sickest I have ever been in my life. For days. The crew and passengers were very ill.

I just know that if they had sailed into what we did, they would have been on here complaining about how bad it was and why didn't the Captain change course.

It just seems like almost everyone has to gripe about something on these boards about everything on their cruise from the food, to the ships, to the missed islands, to the no upgrades, no robes, no good service, worn carpeting, and so on. It is never ending lately. Bottom line is, do land vacations, or don't book a cruise in Hurricane season and then complain when you experience what can happen in one. End of my sermon.:rolleyes:

We love to cruise and the service we get on a cruise is better than being in my house cooking my own meals.:D

Flame away. I have seen the "Other side of this story"

What they should do is think about the poor people who lost their homes on those islands that they missed and thank their lucky stars that they were cruising safe and sound and had a home to go back to...

I expect to get blasted, but I saw what a Hurricane can do. :mad:

Sorry for the double post....my keyboard has some mystery hot key that sent the reply before I was done. :o

Peggy, do you know about the *magic* edit button underneath your post on the right side? It gives you approximately 15 minutes after posting to go back in and change anything that you want. No need to post a second time to fix a mistake. (we now return you to your regularly scheduled b*tch session) :D

The captain told us it was NOT his decision, it was Miami's decision and that he only sails where they tell him to sail. So NO it's NOT apparently a decision for the captain to make.

Yes, RCL employs weather analysts, according to an article I read on the news area of CC.

I am sure you had a terrible experience. It doesn't change the facts about what happened on OUR trip, when there was in fact, no hurricane. I understood the reason they chose to go elsewhere but I also don't expect to get ripped off either. If I pay for a Cadillac and when I show up to pick it up they tell me they've discovered that the Cadillacs have a serious safety issue so we're going to substitute this Toyota Corolla, I would appreciate that they didn't just go ahead and sell me the Cadillac, but I would expect a refund of the difference in value.

No one on this board will ever see it that way though because 'it's in the fine print that they can do it'. That does not make it right. Differences in opinion..it makes the world go round.

Originally Posted by Lonecedar704

The captain told us it was NOT his decision, it was Miami's decision and that he only sails where they tell him to sail. So NO it's NOT apparently a decision for the captain to make.

Not exactly true.

We had a very lengthy discussion...One on One with Captain Charles during Ivan.One of the reasons that things were so sketchy on our sailing,was that he had to do a lot of the monitoring on his own.He was in contact with the national weather service every hour,and directly with Houston every other hour...He slept about 3 hours in a 24 hour period.

When a ship is at port,Miami makes the decisions.Miami makes decisions regarding changes of future voyages..Say on Saturday,they know that a ship that will be turning around,and in a particular location on Monday that is projected to be in that path ..

But once a ship is at sea,the Captain is in complete control.If conditions change,he makes the choice...not Miami,base on what ports will allow him to call...They also must make a foreign stop....What if they have not made a foreign...Would you have felt it fair if they charged you the 200 dollar a person fine?

You car theory is a bit skewed...What happened to you is more like...You ordered a red caddi....and they discovered that the paint in the red was harmful,and they sent you the only other color they had...And you knew going in that it was a crap shoot when you bought it.

I am sure you had a terrible experience. It doesn't change the facts about what happened on OUR trip, when there was in fact, no hurricane. I understood the reason they chose to go elsewhere but I also don't expect to get ripped off either. If I pay for a Cadillac and when I show up to pick it up they tell me they've discovered that the Cadillacs have a serious safety issue so we're going to substitute this Toyota Corolla, I would appreciate that they didn't just go ahead and sell me the Cadillac, but I would expect a refund of the difference in value.

No one on this board will ever see it that way though because 'it's in the fine print that they can do it'. That does not make it right. Differences in opinion..it makes the world go round.

LMBO here!! How about comparing apples to apples :confused: When you book a cruise DURING hurricane season ANYTHING can happen.

If you did and research you would have found that several cruises took the same route last year and the year before.

We think it's time you stop complaining and get on with your life!

###

Odiesam and Colliegirl, don't you find it strange that people say they're tired of hearing about this yet they still come and open this thread and comment on it? I find that strange indeed. I'm sure your lives are moving on just as nicely as mine is and I wish you well. Perhaps it's time some other people here move on. You know...move on...go talk about chair hogs or sneaking alcohol onboard. There's a couple of fresh topics for you.

If you are tired of reading this post then move on. no one is stopping you so move lively to your next post. all iam saying about rccl is they show no respect for their passengers, a letter written should get some responce even just to say sorry and hope you sail with us again but no! they seem to throw the letters in the basket how does that make you feel. like just a number a profit for them they need to show respect for you it is just good business. and i do feel for anyone who has had a bad cruise it happpens i am over what happened and iam on with my life i will cruise again but on rccl probably not just because of the way i was treated not because of the weather. I am already booked to sail to bermuda next year but not on rccl i wont give them my hard earned money anymore. If i get a letter that could change everything. this is what this post was about hearing from rccl it seems iam not the only one that has not heard form rccl.:confused:

Peggy, do you know about the *magic* edit button underneath your post on the right side? It gives you approximately 15 minutes after posting to go back in and change anything that you want. No need to post a second time to fix a mistake. (we now return you to your regularly scheduled b*tch session) :D

Oh, yeah, MM, I use the edit button ALLLLLL the time! :D :D

This was me pushing some hot key halfway through my post and not realizing it had posted, and I kept merrily typing, only to see I had posted twice. My fingers must just be too big for this laptop keyboard!!

How's your cruise?

If you are tired of reading this post then move on. no one is stopping you so move lively to your next post. all iam saying about rccl is they show no respect for their passengers, a letter written should get some responce even just to say sorry and hope you sail with us again but no! they seem to throw the letters in the basket how does that make you feel. like just a number a profit for them they need to show respect for you it is just good business. and i do feel for anyone who has had a bad cruise it happpens i am over what happened and iam on with my life i will cruise again but on rccl probably not just because of the way i was treated not because of the weather. I am already booked to sail to bermuda next year but not on rccl i wont give them my hard earned money anymore. If i get a letter that could change everything. this is what this post was about hearing from rccl it seems iam not the only one that has not heard form rccl.:confused:

If the cruise you've booked is during hurricane season, don't be surprised if exactly this same type of thing happens again. All the cruise lines change their itineraries to adjust to the weather, and they don't always give the individual any attention when they make the change, since the cruise contract covers it so explicitly.

I don't know how long you and Lonecedar704 have been cruising, but you both seem to be very upset over something that is very standard in the cruising industry.

I think that TA's and the cruise lines really should provide more education about the strong possibility of itineraries changing during this time of the year. Then expectations would be more in line with what can reasonably be delivered to the customer.

pcur,

I know what can happen during hurracain season. I have been cruising for a few years about 16 and i know about changes what you and everyone else can't seem to get is we had terrible weather either bermuda or canada yes. What i did not like was the way rccl has treated their passengers did you hear that! I just want rccl to respond to there passengers.

pcur,

I know what can happen during hurracain season. I have been cruising for a few years about 16 and i know about changes what you and everyone else can't seem to get is we had terrible weather either bermuda or canada yes. What i did not like was the way rccl has treated their passengers did you hear that! I just want rccl to respond to there passengers.

Yes, I "hear" you LOUDLY and clearly, colliegirl. I'm outta here, too; enough nastiness. Gotta love that unsubscribe button.

These folks won't be happy because what they want is for RCCL to say they were wrong, which they won't for legal reasons and because they weren't/ They were going on information available to them at the time and decided their ship, crew and passengers would be safer if they sent them north. Anyone who thinks they were sent to Canada because RCCL is uncaring is shortsighted and silly.

Unsubscribe me, too. The whining is ringing in my ears.

I can not wait till the day a cruise is ruined to some of these folks who just dont seem to care. Then when it is time for them to vent who will have the last laugh!!! not me because i will care and feel for them ,not make fun. All we would like is too hear from rccl. i wrote a letter yes and told them how disappointed i was as iam sure a lot of other passengers. and yes i did ask for credit on a next cruise is that too much to ask we did miss our whole port. the whole cruise was changed. I would not have minded if we saw some sun. but from the othe boards i do know other ships went to bermuda and they were safe damp and warm. with some sun. We saw fog ha! ha! Even if i get no credit i should recieve some type of letter lets see what happen's.

Several of us have been in your position. And you missed a port and got two for the bargain. Have you spoken to your TA at all about this? What did he/she say?

well all I can say is I actually was on the ship so I have a whole lot better idea what would have made the majority of people happier than they were. As I said before, they could have gone to ONE port ONE day and then added another sea day and then they could say they did what something for everyone. I was there so I heard directly from the people's mouths that as soon as we found out what the weather was like in Canada the MAJORITY of people would rather have gone back to sail around new york harbor where at least we could use the pool. Since everyone here has screamed at us that the ship is the destination I don't know how you could disagree that that would have been better than being in a place where we could not even get outside and enjoy the ship we were on.

Well, all I can say is I've been on these boards for the past year or so, and have seen at least one situation that mirrored yours; I think it was the Carnival Holiday. The ship did a "CTN" and the MAJORITY of people complained and complained about it. You weren't the captain, and you may have heard a few people say they'd like to have a CTN, but the company, looking out for your best interests, had the ship go to Canada. You slept, ate, and participated in activities on the ship. BTW, according to reports on the internet, you could enjoy the day in the port; the fog burned off. It was warm enough to wear shorts (and apparently, T shirts that proclaimed "RCI Sucks"). Such are the consequences of sailing in hurricane season, something your TA should have talked with you about.

I have read the complaints/comments. I guess it seems to me that RCI is wrong no matter what they did. Someone mentioned the NCL offers a refund if they can't go to the original destinations. That isn't true except in a couple of circumstances.

Look at the comments from people on NCL that had the rogue wave. Geez, there's even a lawsuit. So, if the Captain or Headquarters say we aren't going to XYZ, accept it and that's the end of it.

If you sail during hurricane season, don't go with the expectation of going to any island destination. It's that simple!!! That's why the rates are usually lower. No cruise is perfect and your whining doesn't make things seem any better. Asking the Captain to sail to sunny weather is almost a joke, sorry. That's just how I feel.

Katie

RCCL cannont predict the weather 100%. Last year our flight was cancelled, our hotel was evacuated, ship was delayed in Miami because one of the hurricanes was supposed to hit Miami. Guess what? It missed Miami completely. All that stress and agrivation for nothing.

But no matter, we still enjoyed the cruise once we got on it. It was better than being at work. It does state that they can change the ports (we missed a couple of ours). I did not demand an apology letter.

Archived