What would YOU rather...free upgrade or OBC???

OBC you do not spend enough time in your room...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually we are some of those weirdos who spend tons of time in our cabin, particularly on the balcony. If they offered me a nice suite I probably would have taken it, but they couldn't because they are sold out.

I cruise solo in the cheapie seats (Cat. 1A). I always select my cabin b/c I want the Cat. 1A with the single bed and perhaps a club chair or sofa (prefer the club chair or no chair to be honest). Those cabins have a look and feel of a small studio apt w/o the stove because there is a lot of floor/walk around space. They also tend to be near the elevators, which I love. (I live in NYC. A little elevator/voice noise in the halls during the wee hours of the night will not disturb me.)

Once I have secured my little mini-studio apt, unless I am given a balcony cabin (not likely), I would not accept an upgrade. Upgrading me to any less than a balcony is not an upgrade in my book b/c then I am in a cabin where two twin beds have been squeezed into roughly the same square footage as my studio apt. Thus robbing me my cherished walkaround floor space with the insertion of a useless second twin bed.

OBC all the way.

I'm interested to see the different opinions here. I sail in 29 days and was given the choice between a free upgrade to a Spa Balcony, or a nice chunk of OBC ($452 to be exact). I was already very happy with my Cove, so I took the money.;)

I'm just wondering what others would do. I thought about it, and the only upgrade I would have taken over $450 OBC would have to have been in

the very high suite catagory, otherwise, I like to spend money, so.....

I've actually heard some folks here say they don't like OBC because they are just "spending their own money" (as opposed to getting an actual refund I guess??). Exactly, my money. I'd much rather spend it myself than let CCL keep it!!

WWYD???:D

We choose our cabin in order to get the location we want. We do not want an upgrade, but we love every OBC we get.

Seems like we all pretty much agree!!:D

The funny part was that the nice lady on the phone seemed kinda surprised that I turned down the Spa. I told her I didn't book the Cove because of price, I booked it because I wanted it. If I would have wanted a Spa, that's what I would have booked.;)

She was really nice, and she told me that most people she was calling take the Spas. Whatever floats your boat, I like money!!!:p

Can I ask why you were offered the OBC? I guess they will sometimes offer an upgrade but why the free OBC?

In the situation you described, I would have taken the OBC. If I were booked in an inside and it was something like $250 obc or upgrade to a balcony, then I would have taken an upgrade. But you are already in a balcony and happy with your cabin so unless they are kicking the captain out of his quarters...

I'm interested to see the different opinions here. I sail in 29 days and was given the choice between a free upgrade to a Spa Balcony, or a nice chunk of OBC ($452 to be exact). I was already very happy with my Cove, so I took the money.;)

I'm just wondering what others would do. I thought about it, and the only upgrade I would have taken over $450 OBC would have to have been in

I've actually heard some folks here say they don't like OBC because they are just "spending their own money" (as opposed to getting an actual refund I guess??). Exactly, my money. I'd much rather spend it myself than let CCL keep it!!

I would've taken the OBC too. Because that's money I can use to spend on excursions or souveniers from the Fun Shops or whatever.

I would have taken the OBC as well. I pick my cabin based on what I like so unless it was an incredible upgrade with OBC not being an option I'd choose the extra money. That's one heck of a chunk of change you got! Congrats and enjoy spending it :)

I book early and book the exact cabin I want- usually right next to my sister with the kids across the hall, so I would always choose obc.

We've had four price drops since booking, got a reduced final payment once, and obc the other three times. More mudslides for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app