Poa ???

lovetrauma

My Family and I are planning a Cruise on the Pride Of America next July 2015. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the following items:

Nightly Entertainment

Food

Activites During the Day on the ship if you come back early or don't get off at a Port

Cabin sizes...we are in an Obstructed Oceanview (OK)

Thank you in advance.

As you likely know, this is a very port intensive cruise and most folks cruise for the islands, not the ship. I honestly don't remember anything about the onboard daytime activities - because we weren't on board during the day. We also only saw the first night "Welcome Aboard" show and attended the Chef's Table one evening. Both were great, but with our fully packed days, we weren't night owls most nights.

As you likely know, food is pretty subjective. I'll just say that we fully enjoyed the meals we had on board. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by puddles99

I understand this is a very port intensive cruise. We will most likely schedule our excursions for early morning to mid afternoon but due to our age and some physical limitations we may be back on the ship earlier than most. I would also like to know about activities, shows & entertainment.

Was on POA this past November. I thought the food was good. We had great waitstaff in the Skyline-Annie who we had twice & Anthony who served us when we had dinner with two officers. Jefferson's Bistro was great too and had great service- ate there for Thanksgiving.

Went to a port informational session one morning which was well done. Didn't do any other day time activities since I was off the ship. I love sitting by the pool and going into the hot tub. Didn't even have for that! I stayed by the pool one afternoon for maybe 20 mins.

On my sailing had a wonderful cruise director- Marky Mark!!! And a wonderful Hotel director- Klaus!!! Greeted my family by name when they saw us! Don't remember all the shows but we had a Jersey Boys show, a comedian and a married couple who sang. All were very good!!

They had hula classes and classes to make leis- didn't even have time to check those out....

Edited by sugarnyc

We were on the POA over the Christmas holidays. Perhaps because we had been in Hawaii before and also spent a week on Oahu prior to cruising we did enjoy some of the ship activities. My girls (twenties) enjoyed the hula classes and the lei making crafts (as did I). My husband son and I enjoyed trivia. We all went to almost all the shows and thought they were very good. One included dances from different Polynesian islands. My husband and son enjoyed watching football up in the Gold Rush Saloon where I would help myself to popcorn. After a few nights eating in the MDRs my husband and son decided they weren't too thrilled with the food and we switched to the specialty restaurants. The ship is pretty and we had fun onboard and in the ports!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Keep your eyes on the Daily, there might be cultural embassadors that come aboard and show lei making and the meaning of the flowers, as well as lectures about the island you're visiting. My parents did Hawaii on a different line and just basically walked off the ship and wandered around the area or took public transportation to things. The did not do intensive port visits as they are quite elderly. My Mother enjoyed the cultural demos and found the cruise relaxing, as they had an almost empty ship in the early afternoons.

There were 2 cultural embassadors on board when we sailed on the POA. They gave talks each morning about the island and port. On the Napali coast sailing, they talk about what you were seeing and Hawaiian history. You have to be out on deck to hear them over the loudspeakers and not in your cabin.

The cabins are very small. The bathrooms are the tiniest I've seen in years and very outdated. But as all have said the ship is nice and has nice public spaces, entertainment and activities. We thought the food was fine. The lei making classes were held in the afternoon and are fun, but require some hand dexterity.

Thanks so much for all your responses. The only problem I can see is most likely with the teeny tiny balcony stateroom. We did choose a aft with a larger balcony but we have have most recently sailed on ships in larger balcony rooms or junior suites which are quite roomy. We'll just have to make it work.:)

Edited by Lorey2007

Thanks so much for all your responses. The only problem I can see is most likely with the teeny tiny balcony stateroom. We did choose a aft with a larger balcony but we have have most recently sailed on ships in larger balcony rooms or junior suites which are quite roomy. We'll just have to make it work.:)

We were in an aft balcony also. But we were connected to the 2 bedroom suite that my grown kids shared. My husband often grumbled about why we didn't take at least part of the suite, but we kept the door opened between the cabins and really enjoyed their huge balcony. Their bathroom was just as tiny as ours, and the second bedroom was really tiny. My daughter had to sleep with her legs bent to fit on the sofa bed in there. It is really meant for a child, but she enjoyed being able to have her own space (there was a door). I have to admit to being very shocked at the size of the bathroom, but the balcony cabin itself was ok for two. I am going to try and link the cruise dailies so you can get an idea of some of the actvities and shows on board.

To see the dailies from our cruise go to http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/buckeye82/media/EK_0003_zps4c4346e7.jpg.html

We were in an obstructed oceanview room and it was fine for two people. It had a small couch which made the room appear larger. There was plenty of drawer and shelf space. Bathroom was tiny but serviceable. We were between two lifeboats so had some light and view.

Ate breakfast mostly at buffet which was very good. Ate dinner mostly in MDR. Wasn't happy with the steaks and prime rib but the other specialties were fine. Just don't order the onion soup-it was a joke.

Saw the shows every night. As previously said there was a Four Seasons tribute group that was amazing. Also a Tribute to the Beatles by another act on another night. A magician one night and various musical and dancing shows other nights. We did not have a comedian but on the last night all the acts appeared again and it was great.

We were doing something off the ship every day but came back early twice but not early enough for the buffet lunch which ended around 3pm. So grabbed burgers and fries at the Key West Bar at the pool and then stayed and listened to the live band for awhile. They played oldies rock and all the new songs. Very loud but enjoyable.

We were in an obstructed oceanview room and it was fine for two people. It had a small couch which made the room appear larger. There was plenty of drawer and shelf space. Bathroom was tiny but serviceable. We were between two lifeboats so had some light and view.

Ate breakfast mostly at buffet which was very good. Ate dinner mostly in MDR. Wasn't happy with the steaks and prime rib but the other specialties were fine. Just don't order the onion soup-it was a joke.

Saw the shows every night. As previously said there was a Four Seasons tribute group that was amazing. Also a Tribute to the Beatles by another act on another night. A magician one night and various musical and dancing shows other nights. We did not have a comedian but on the last night all the acts appeared again and it was great.

We were doing something off the ship every day but came back early twice but not early enough for the buffet lunch which ended around 3pm. So grabbed burgers and fries at the Key West Bar at the pool and then stayed and listened to the live band for awhile. They played oldies rock and all the new songs. Very loud but enjoyable.

Thanks for the great info.