Gratuities on board.

walworthwall

They suggest you tip the same for children. If they are in your cabin I would make the assessment based on service after you experience it. The cabin steward has extra beds to make but no extra carpet to vacuum or bathrooms to clean. Wait until you cruise and see what you feel is appropriate. The waiters on the other hand are serving your children as "full" people.

Edited by cruzsnooze

They suggest you tip the same for children. If they are in your cabin I would make the assessment based on service after you experience it. The cabin steward has extra beds to make but no extra carpet to vacuum or bathrooms to clean. Wait until you cruise and see what you feel is appropriate. The waiters on the other hand are serving your children as "full" people.

There may not be extra carpet to vacuum, but the carpet might be dirtier, due to things like cookie crumbs from late night snacks or more sand tracked in from beach excursions. As for the bathroom, it gets dirtier with more people using it, and if there are very young children, dirty diapers to dispose. :eek:

There may not be extra carpet to vacuum, but the carpet might be dirtier, due to things like cookie crumbs from late night snacks or more sand tracked in from beach excursions. As for the bathroom, it gets dirtier with more people using it, and if there are very young children, dirty diapers to dispose. :eek:

Yes, when I was posting I was thinking the same! I really don't understand why some don't think that children should be included. We cruised with our 16 mo old and then again at 3 grandchild. His costs were the same as person 1 and 2 and tipping was not even a question for us. Even when we stay at hotels/motels we tip a little extra for the extra time it takes to clean up after the little ones.

Each passenger regardless of age has their own on board account and is charged the $11.50 ($12 for suites and mini suites) Hotel Charge (auto tip) each day. This covers the tipping for room stewards, waiters and others that are behind the scenes. It is strongly recommended that this charge not be removed. A 15% service charge is added to all non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverage purchases. Extra tips for the youth center and others is up to you. Regarding room stewards, believe they work harder when children are in a cabin.

Tried looking into this subject but couldn't find the answer to my question.

With regard to the auto tipping onboard does this apply to children of all ages or do they start from a certain age?

For these type of things as well as the cruise fare the passenger is looked at as a body on board regardless of age. ;)