Reidel Wine Workshop

jmgx2stl

Has anyone attended one of these workshops on Celebrity Stolstice? We are leaving on Friday and have thought about signing up for it but I read a couple of places that we had to sign up by today (Monday). Is that true? We thought we would get onboard and then look into it, since I cannot find any information. Back in 2011 (which is the newest posts I am able to find on this subject) many people said you could let your wine steward know at dinner and he/she would get credit for it. Any advice? Any discounts you know of? I saw a few posts on that but they were again back from 2011.

You should be able to sign up on board. I believe it might just benefit your your wine steward or any bartender you might befriend if they sign you up (not sure). I don't think you can get a discount. Enjoy!

Been to several of these and found them quite entertaining. It is the vinum series of Reidel glasses that you get to keep which is usually a step up from what you find at Home Goods etc. They usually pour decent wine, and if you are driving to the port, you can take the glasses with you and you wont have to pay postage. Using the right glass really does make a difference in the taste of the wine. If you have never used Reidel, it is very informative. If you already use Reidel, it's a few more glasses for your collection and it sure beats sitting through an art auction.

Yes, book onboard. It was a fun and interesting way to spend an afternoon and lovely glasses to boot! We had them shipped to the UK and one was smashed. They were very quickly replaced - no questions asked.

I will be signing up on my next cruise again and this time we are going from our home port so will bring the glasses home myself.

I highly recommend the workshop. I've done it 3 times now.

One perk few seem to know about is that you can ask for the appropriate Riedel glass from your sommelier in the MDR. I don't believe you have to take the class to take advantage of this.

Edited to add that the workshop usually attracts only a few people and there are no discounts. Someone always shows up and tries to do just the tasting but they are turned away.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Edited by gingerspike

We have been to one and loved it. We were skeptical going in, but were blown away by the difference the glasses made in enjoying each wine. You will learn about various wines and about the history of the glasses. They held it where there was lots of room and even had extra spots set up.

On the two cruises since, we have had multiple opportunities to book it again on board, so don't worry about missing the opportunity. We haven't seen a discounted fee. We usually head to the wine table when boarding (outside Cellar Masters or Ocean View on past cruises) where you can buy wine packages or book wine tastings. The sommelier there will be happy to help you with that and may end up being a good wine contact for the cruise. We got the sense that the dining room sommeliers may get some sort of credit for booking you into wine events, because ours have tried to book us for the wine connoisseur dinners and seemed disappointed that we were already booked.

IMG_2200.jpg.eee100c245e9ff638deb5702698c0fb2.jpg

And if you did want to prebook to online I think all reservations (dining, drink pkgs etc) have to be completed prior to 4 days to departure ...which sounds like you a out to hit so only option is the. To just book and pay onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I attended the workshop and was surprised how much the taste was affected by the type or shape of the glass. I was very skeptical prior to attending the workshop. The workshop was very enjoyable and I now use Reidel glasses when enjoying wine.

the onyl drawback of this workshop: sometimes the someliers do not know the different Riedel brands..., the vinum glasses (Riedel name in letters) are not hand made - thats standard industrial production.

Only the Sommeliers (Riedel name in writing) are handmade at Austria:D

If you have in mind: cost of a Sommeliers is about 80$ each - no wonder they use the vinum

A mention was made about the wine connoisseur dinner. We booked this while on board. Along with the dinner we also received one other wine event free. The dinner itself was attended by 10 couples and was held in the Tuscan Grill. The evening started in Celler Masters around 7:30 and ended just before midnight. It was a wonderful evening of good food, good wine, and great company with lots of laughter.

A mention was made about the wine connoisseur dinner. We booked this while on board. Along with the dinner we also received one other wine event free. The dinner itself was attended by 10 couples and was held in the Tuscan Grill. The evening started in Celler Masters around 7:30 and ended just before midnight. It was a wonderful evening of good food, good wine, and great company with lots of laughter.

What was the cost of the wine connoisseur dinner. I've not seen that offered before, but maybe I just missed it.

Shirley

Riedel Comparative Wine Crystal Workshop

Conducted by highly-trained Celebrity sommeliers, this seminar includes the opportunity to savor four different varietals from our superb collection of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon, and their matching stemware. The wines are transferred into each glass to illustrate how the aromas and flavors of the wine change from glass to glass.

*Starting from: 82.00 USD Per PACKAGE

More info on the Celebrity web site under beverage packages

You will enjoy it so much that you will never want to drink from any other wine glass. I even ordered online the champagne glasses.

We attended the Riedel workshop last cruise and loved it. We signed up with our Sommelier and every evening he would serve us in the correct glasses, without us asking - what a difference it made to the wine.

Now that sounds awesome, even better than the chefs table evening that some lines offer. Would love to know of this is a new regular offering by Celebrity or just another 'trial' event. We are on Solstice on October and I would book this in a flash! We have heaps of stemware already but the Riedel workshop sounds fun so will likely book that also! Like the combination of good wine, good food and great company!!

I attended the workshop and was surprised how much the taste was affected by the type or shape of the glass. I was very skeptical prior to attending the workshop. The workshop was very enjoyable and I now use Reidel glasses when enjoying wine.

When you do the work shop do you taste and compare each wine in both a ,standard' and Riedel glass? I'm thinking if you just try everything in their own stemware how sure are you really of the improvement they make?

Edited by QE2_Fan
typo

QE2 Fan

When I did the workshop we tasted from a standard and then a appropriate Riedel glass. The improvement in the taste of the wine was noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also have done the Reidel workshop and enjoyed it very much. Like others, we were amazed how the Reidel glass affected the taste of the different wines. Each participant has 4 different Reidel glasses and 1 "joker" glass (this is your standard inexpensive wine glass). The wine is poured into the "joker" glass first, tasted and then transferred into the appropriate Reidel glass. You will be amazed at the difference in flavor! We had our glasses sent home and they arrived in perfect condition. I would enjoy taking the class again, but I think if the Wine Connoisseur dinner is offered I will try that instead.

I found there were several wine events offered with one as little as $15 pp. I believe you can book the Ridel and the dinner prior to the cruise. I know you can book the Ridel. I suppose the best place to find out is when you board you just head to the Wine table and there will be a list.

Regards,

Bob

I was a "doubter" about the difference the Reidel glassware made, but became a believer after attending the workshop. I love the glasses I received because I attended.

I did not attend any of the wine dinners, but I have on other cruise lines. If one enjoys good food and fine wine in the company of others who share your interests, every dinner that I have attended was well worth the cost!

On my next Celebrity cruise, I expect to sign-up for any special evenings that are offered.

QE2 Fan

When I did the workshop we tasted from a standard and then a appropriate Riedel glass. The improvement in the taste of the wine was noticeable.

Each participant has 4 different Reidel glasses and 1 "joker" glass (this is your standard inexpensive wine glass). The wine is poured into the "joker" glass first, tasted and then transferred into the appropriate Reidel glass

Thanks for the extra detail, it sounds a great experience and will definitely be booking this for my wife and I!

I have an 'aerator' device I use at home that is meant to assist improve some wines - similar to decanting but is used for cheaper/younger wines. I laugh as whilst I have tried it with the 'joker' glass concept and DO believe there is an improvement - I've had many friends that just try the aerated wine and exclaim what a difference it makes. But how would they know without a comparison!? :confused::D

I found there were several wine events offered with one as little as $15 pp.

I've also seen mention of the other events and I'm up for trying all being a first timer on Celebrity. I really would love to do the Conisseur Wine Dinner but not seen that 'officially' mentioned - I'll just keep an eye out when on board.

Edited by QE2_Fan
typo

Edited to add that the workshop usually attracts only a few people and there are no discounts. Someone always shows up and tries to do just the tasting but they are turned away.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This may be dependent on the number of sign-ups for the workshop, which I highly recommend. On our recent cruise, there were not too many people interested in the wine tasting events (their loss as they were excellent) and in fact one or two of them were cancelled as their were not enough sign ups.

When it came to the Riedel event they offered it to the people who were in attendance at a previous wine tasting as a tasting only for $19 or with the glasses for $86 or $89 I don't remember. Once the workshop was over, alot of the attendees who has come as a tasting only ended up purchasing the glasses after all :) You just can't believe the difference a glass can make!!

Edited by bjksgk

It should be easy to book on board. Any Wine Steward will be able to help.

FYI: There were only four of us taking the Reidel Workshop on the Infinity last April. They almost cancelled it .

Mike

If they have the South American Wine Tasting, be sure to try that out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were able onboard to book the workshop and not purchase the glasses. We enjoyed the wines and loved how the glasses enhanced the flavor of each wine. Paid about $15 a person to do this. I think we were the only people who asked to do the tasting without purchasing the glasses.