Seeing Dolphins from Ship

We see dolphins regularly, as we are on our balcony, coming in and out of ports.

Also sailing from Galveston see them all the time

BUt the most impressive was our TA last year.

On the first or second sea day, sailing west from Barcelona, there must have been 50+ dolphins riding our wake.

I have a bunch of photos of them

Edited by jonbgd

It is illegal to feed wild dolphins in Florida so I really doubt a cruise line would throw food overboard for them.

But we've seen dolphins on several of our cruises, usually in front of the bow during sailaways. We were just on Majesty of the Seas and as we left Miami, the Carnival Ecstasy was sailing along next to us. There was a pod of dolphins jumping and playing in front of Ecstasy. We watched them for a good 10 minutes before they got tired of the game and swam away. It was really amazing. They could jump so high! I doubt anyone on Ecstasy could see them because they were under the bow.

Edited by CruisinCrow

Ahhh.... those elusive dolphins! My husband and I were enjoying a wonderful cruise on the Serenade of the Seas last month and had a standing joke about seeing some dolphins during our cruise. I loved sitting on the balcony and staring at the sea and telling the dolphins that they could come out now and visit - but they chose not to make an appearance. Then late one afternoon as we were leaving Salerno, there they were..... my dolphins had come out to see me at last. They were just small Mediterranean dolphins and there were only 3 or 4 of them but they were there to wave us out of the port. Thanks dolphins...we'll be back!

Food wastes are discharged from RCCL ship per this from the cruise critic website....

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara

Onboard Policies: As part of the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. family, these lines participate in the Save the Waves program, which employs an advanced wastewater purification system that treats wastewater onboard. There's a zero-discharge policy on solid waste; food waste is pulped and discharged more than 12 miles from land. To nip unnecessary waste in the bud, the line eliminated disposable plastic items typically available to cruisers -- such as shampoo bottles, plastic plates and flatware -- in favor of reusable or biodegradable options.

here is the link. Just cursor down

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=528

You're welcome. Of course that is not saying that someone might not throw food overboard. At least it isn't the cruise line.

I guess long ago maybe they did. I remember on our first cruise on Carnival in 1991, they were hitting golf balls off the back of the ship. I heard that if a cruise line still does this, the golf balls dissolve into food for the fish. They also used to shoot clay pigeons off the back of the ship.

My how things have changed.

Gwen :)

On my first cruise on Carnival's Carnivale in 1983, they had the golf driving, skeet shooting, and also threw trash bags and deck chairs overboard while in International Waters. Then in the 1990's, Royal Caribbean was fined severl million dollars for dumping oily bilge water at sea....like you said, my how things have changed.....