Rental of ship "iphones"

Sorry if this has been discussed before...I am getting married on Allure in February. My Travel Agent just told me that the phones are only for people with children in kids club? This doesn't seem right. Does anyone else have information about this?

I was really hoping a few people in our party (80 guests) would be able to have some to keep in touch.

Thanks!

Sorry if this has been discussed before...I am getting married on Allure in February. My Travel Agent just told me that the phones are only for people with children in kids club? This doesn't seem right. Does anyone else have information about this?

I was really hoping a few people in our party (80 guests) would be able to have some to keep in touch.

Thanks!

To my knowledge, the Royal Connect phones are for anyone, and sell out fast:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/docs/rccl-pdfs/connect-brochure.pdf

Edited by clarea

Where do you rent these at on ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Suggest you check at guest services as when I was on the Allure it was on Deck 3 that you got the rented phones.

There's a limited amount and are rapidly depleted after boarding begins. You need to make that the first thing to do after boarding on embarkation day to even have a chance at getting one. Seriously don't even wait till after lunch as they's be gone.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks!

They are older iphones 4's I think still on the Allure.

If you lose or break then you will pay a premium though.

Confirm on these boards shortly before you go what model they still are and go buy some cheap cases at the dollar store to protect the phones. They don't come with one.

That will work out cheaper then risking dropping a phone and damaging it.

They are older iphones 4's I think still on the Allure.

If you lose or break then you will pay a premium though.

Confirm on these boards shortly before you go what model they still are and go buy some cheap cases at the dollar store to protect the phones. They don't come with one.

That will work out cheaper then risking dropping a phone and damaging it.

Like $1000 I've heard. I'll forgo

Went on Allure in March.

Phones were original issue iPhone 4's, they had plastic/rubber slip cases on them that were worthless.

Sounded like they are waiting for them to die before replacing the system with something newer so the supply of phones shrinks steadily as they don't replace any individual phones.

If you want them get on early and go straight there, for us they were in the card room, aft on deck 14 I believe.

They did not work well for us, we (two sets of parents) each had one phone and our kids had the numbers to call us from kids club if they wanted out.

On the two occasions they really wanted out, we were in deadzones and the phones didn't ring. Worse, when leaving the deadzone there was no indication of missed calls or messages, needless to say kids were not happy about waiting for us to come get them.

I have heard that they have DECT phones available as well, those might be an option.

We stood in line for 45 min on Allure and paid $90 to rent 2 phones. This was a waste of money and time. The phones rarely worked and you could not email or leave voice mails. I strongly suggest putting that money toward the ship wifi package. For $229 you can have two devices connected to wifi throughout the week. My husband and I turned off our data plans and just used the wifi. We were able to text via iMessage all week. Very seamless and the best way to keep in touch. You could also email and have the internet obviously, so it's a good value if you want to be in touch with anyone on land. It's $179 just for 1 device all week so the $229 for 2 was much better deal and anyone in Crown & Anchor gets 10% off. Wifi was pretty fast on the ship and few dead zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We rented 3 phones on our recent Allure cruise. We went to the card room as soon as we boarded. They sold out very quickly. The phones were hit or miss and I don't know that I would rent them again. Half the time they didn't ring or you didn't get the text message. They are available to anyone who wants to rent them.