Princedam really worth the extra $$$?

calteacher

In checking for cruises for 2015, one of the cruises I was interested in was available only on the Princendam. What is it about the Princendam that is worth the exra cost per day (1/3 to 1/2 more)? Not trying to flame anyone, just wondering the value of the ship. Thanks.

I like small ships, so you are going to pay more for that reason, which I accept. She was built for a luxury line originally, so the quality of her appointments (if that's the correct term) is of a higher quality. For example, in the Crow's Nest, the woodwork is beautiful. Her standard cabins are larger(I think) than on other HAL ships, with a nice walk in closet. There is a large window next to a couch....not over the bed. The service is better than on other HAL ships, along with the food. Because they are charging more for her, they have to step it up a bit, and it shows. I like her as much or more than Regent Navigator. Her public rooms are lovely, as well. She is older and you may see some rust. If that bothers you,you will be unhappy. Prinsendam has the highest repeat passenger count. Lots of us sail her, almost exclusively.

Then, you will find others who disagree. It just depends on what you are looking for in a ship. It's very different sailing on an 800 passenger ship compared to a 1200 passenger. I think it's worth the extra cost, but others may not.

I've never sailed on her, she is a little to small for my liking and also a little to expensive. I think some of her higher cost factor is because she does some very unique itineraries that none of the rest of the Hal fleet does. I could be wrong but because of her smallness she can go into areas that a lot of other cruise ships can't, like the Amazon River.

Edited by PathfinderEss

You pointed out that the itinerary is available only on the Prinsendam.

She does go to unusual ports as she is smaller and can usually dock at them. She does longer, back to back collectors cruises with different ports during both segments of the cruise. We like that. Also there seems to be a better staff to passenger ratio on the Prinsendam. We do like the added attention which we are paying for. Also there is excellent musical entertainment in the lounges, Adagio strings, piano players, a small band for dancing and two evening shows. It is easy to disembark the Prinsendam. With fewer people there is rarely a lineup to get on or off.

Yours, Naomi2

OP,

I hear you. I resisted the prinsendam for years and finally broke down a few years ago.

I could kick myself for waiting so long.

We sail in just over 8 weeks for 30 days for the third time.

She is without question my favourite ship in the fleet.

Many of her itineraries are unique and a number only done once a year.

The crew to passenger ratio is higher and so far on my cruises I have found things stepped up a notch from the other ships.

I was nervous the first time I was going... She's an elderly lady. DH who normally is neutral about the ships was in love with her in 20 minutes. No problem for any intriguing itinerary on this ship - he just says book it:D

The ship is the perfect size, elegant, totally different than the other HAL ships with nice public spaces. PG is the best in the fleet IMO

Not everyone is going to love her, some want shiny chrome and more amenities.

She has a lot of fans and the highest repeat passengers in the fleet.

If you are tempted, do it, sail her before she is gone from the fleet. Quality craftsmanship is expensive for HAL to maintain, sadly.

Edited by kazu

I was disappointed in the P'dam after reading all the hype for years. She was nice, but not significantly nicer IMO than other HAL ships of the same vintage such as the Ryndam or Maasdam.

We were in an OV, and therefore did not get to see much of the Neptune Lounge which receives much praise. (I did get a glimpse when I went in to leave an item for Kazu, who was going to be on the next cruise - did you ever get it Jacqui? :) ) I think the NL and the Oak Room are the reason the ship got the Elegant Explorer label, and the rest is not more elegant than the S-class ships.

In our walk-in closet we had less hanger bar space than on S-class ships because the two bars were mounted at right angles so you could not use all of both. I don't know if they are all like that.

I did like the little hallway off the main aisle between pairs of cabins that made the cabin very quiet, but not all cabins have that.

The Lido was nicer than S-class ships IMO, especially the newly-enclosed Canaletto end, and we enjoyed the Canaletto the one night we ate there.

Crew, service, cabin, and food did not impress me as notably different than other small HAL ships.

The same is true for the PG, where we ate twice. I thought the MDR was quite noisy.

Since we were on a T-A that did not visit any unusual ports, I did not think the extra cost was worth it. I would not book her again except for a very special itinerary.

Maybe it was a case of having too high expectations.

Edited by jtl513

I was disappointed in the P'dam after reading all the hype for years. She was nice, but not significantly nicer IMO than other HAL ships of the same vintage such as the Ryndam or Maasdam.

We were in an OV, and therefore did not get to see much of the Neptune Lounge which receives much praise. (I did get a glimpse when I went in to leave an item for Kazu, who was going to be on the next cruise - did you ever get it Jacqui? :) ) I think the NL and the Oak Room are the reason the ship got the Elegant Explorer label, and the rest is not more elegant than the S-class ships.

In our walk-in closet we had less hanger bar space than on S-class ships because the two bars were mounted at right angles so you could not use all of both. I don't know if they are all like that.

I did like the little hallway off the main aisle between pairs of cabins that made the cabin very quiet, but not all cabins have that.

The Lido was nicer than S-class ships IMO, especially the newly-enclosed Canaletto end, and we enjoyed the Canaletto the one night we ate there.

Crew, service, cabin, and food did not impress me as notably different than other small HAL ships.

Since we were on a T-A that did not visit any unusual ports, I did not think the extra cost was worth it. I would not book her again except for a very special itinerary.

Yes I did get it thanks John . I did email you from the ship I thought.

Feel terrible that my thanks didn't get to you:o

We have done TA 's on the ship but ours were combined with great ports.. And we enjoy sea days. I wouldn't book this ship fir a Caribbean cruise for example.

Edited by kazu

Yes I did get it thanks John . I did email you from the ship I thought.

Feel terrible that my thanks didn't get to you:o

As I recall I was having trouble with my email about that time, and I guess your message got lost. Happy the concierge did pass the item to you. :):)

Edited by jtl513

We have sailed on the Prinsedam several times due to the itineraries. Do admit the itineraries and small size cause the extra fare. We love the small size but she is getting very old and 'worn'. Do admit the extras like the rosewood walls in the PG are unsurpassed and due to fire codes will never be repeated in another ship. But, having to explain why we were towed into Med. ports as the bow thrusters were all out of commission was embarrassing. Her 'elegance' is approaching antiquity and fading fast. Although we love the walk-in closets, the flexibility of other closets on HAL ships is missing as the shelves are all static and not adjustable, which was a shame. We have found that the ocean view cabins are a bit smaller than those on the Amsterdam , but that is ok with us. We will still sail on her as she does go to out of the way places due to her size and just try to not notice her 'agedness'. HAL keeps saying she will be sold off very soon which is a shame that they will not have the small ships for the great itineraries that we love!

I only sail the EE because of the unique itineraries. I wouldn't do what I consider to be a "regular" cruise (i.e. TA) on her. Haven't found the service to be any different and think the MDR is very, very noisy. I do think the food and service in the Lido is better than most other HAL ships and really like the newly enclosed area there.

OP,

I hear you. I resisted the prinsendam for years and finally broke down a few years ago.

I could kick myself for waiting so long.

We sail in just over 8 weeks for 30 days for the third time.

She is without question my favourite ship in the fleet.

Many of her itineraries are unique and a number only done once a year.

The crew to passenger ratio is higher and so far on my cruises I have found things stepped up a notch from the other ships.

I was nervous the first time I was going... She's an elderly lady. DH who normally is neutral about the ships was in love with her in 20 minutes. No problem for any intriguing itinerary on this ship - he just says book it:D

The ship is the perfect size, elegant, totally different than the other HAL ships with nice public spaces. PG is the best in the fleet IMO

Not everyone is going to love her, some want shiny chrome and more amenities.

She has a lot of fans and the highest repeat passengers in the fleet.

If you are tempted, do it, sail her before she is gone from the fleet. Quality craftsmanship is expensive for HAL to maintain, sadly.

Kazu I bolded your last sentence, & only hope that we will be able to sail on her again, before she is retired.. Have you or anyone else heard when HAL expects to retire her? I would hope that it's not until the ship doesn't sell out so far in advance..

Calteacher, Everything Kazu said about the Prinsendam I agree with!! We've done two cruises (Amazon in 2006-28 days & South America-Antarctica in 2013-68 days) on the Elegant Explorer & loved every minute of both cruises.. We tried to book her approx. 6 months ahead of time for the Amazon & she was full, so we had to wait until the following year.. DH & I booked our SA cruise about 9 months prior to departure..

She too is our favorite ship.. We had extraordinary & more personalized service on the Prinsendam than on any other HAL ship,.. We book outside "E" cabins on Main Deck.. IMO the walk-in closets are fantastic! :D

We love the wrap around Promenade Decks on HAL ships & usually spend our days sitting out on deck.. However, when we did SA/Antarctica in 2013 it was quite cold for us, so we spent most of the sea days, either in the Crow's Nest or in the lovely & comfortable library..

I would compare the Prinsendam with many of the lovely, old but Elegant European Hotels in Brussels & Bruge..

And yes, IMO it is worth the extra $$$...

Edited by serendipity1499

...What is it about the Princendam that is worth the exra cost per day (1/3 to 1/2 more)?...

I don't know for certain but we are scheduled on the Prinsendam for more than 7 months in B2B's next winter. I'll let you know when we get home next July.

Scott & Karen

In checking for cruises for 2015, one of the cruises I was interested in was available only on the Princendam. What is it about the Princendam that is worth the exra cost per day (1/3 to 1/2 more)? Not trying to flame anyone, just wondering the value of the ship. Thanks.

We have only sailed in her one time. The itinerary was incredible - Black Sea done perfectly and tailored to her smaller size! Berthed in Sevastopol, near the Russian fleet, our location was incredible, considering current events . Our stop in Sochi was a thrill, the year before the Olympics. Four stops in Turkey - breathtaking! Our balcony was lovely, we spent many warm evenings out there watching the spectacular scenery. Sailing from Istanbul at night, watching from the Crows Nest was a special memory. The historian aboard was terrific. So many wonderful things to remember about that trip....

Having said that,

I don't think the food was any better than any other HAL ship, perhaps not quite as good in fact. Service was comparable in housekeeping and dining areas to other dam ships, we felt. The diningroom was noisy and hot food was a challenge.

Dh found the smaller size a little limiting and wouldn't consider anything longer than 14 days for that reason.

I still managed to pick up a case of "kennel cough" on board. Could happen anywhere, even on the Prinsendam!

We really enjoyed our voyage, no doubt about it, but I think the amazing itinerary was what justified the additional cost for us.

I'd sail her again though, if the itinerary was the right one.

Edited by GeezLouise1

We booked her twice last year, with b2bs in the Spring in the Baltic and around Britain and in the Fall in the Eastern Med and a TA back to Florida. She had the best cast we have ever experienced on a HAL ship. (as contrast, the cast on the second half of the Amsterdam GWV this Spring was the worst we have experienced.) Someone mentioned the cabins are larger. Not true: we booked an inside for the first voyage and it was so small it had no furniture, not even a chair to sit on. We booked an outside for the next cruise and it was OK, but not larger than other HAL ships. Food was good and I especially liked the new Canaletto, both its food and ambiance. We did have some mechanical problems and missed a week of one of the cruises while it spent a week in a shipyard in Malta. We hit some rough weather off Scotland and one of the stabilizers wasn't working, but the ship rode as smooth or smoother than any of the larger ships. I would love to cruise on Prinsendam again.

Kazu I bolded your last sentence, & only hope that we will be able to sail on her again, before she is retired.. Have you or anyone else heard when HAL expects to retire her? I would hope that it's not until the ship doesn't sell out so far in

And yes, IMO it is worth the extra $$$...

A friend on board has reported that once they see how the new Pinnacle sells she will most likely be gone as she is expensive to maintain .

Please don't shoot the messenger.

We booked her twice last year, with b2bs in the Spring in the Baltic and around Britain and in the Fall in the Eastern Med and a TA back to Florida. She had the best cast we have ever experienced on a HAL ship. (as contrast, the cast on the second half of the Amsterdam GWV this Spring was the worst we have experienced.) Someone mentioned the cabins are larger. Not true: we booked an inside for the first voyage and it was so small it had no furniture, not even a chair to sit on. We booked an outside for the next cruise and it was OK, but not larger than other HAL ships. Food was good and I especially liked the new Canaletto, both its food and ambiance. We did have some mechanical problems and missed a week of one of the cruises while it spent a week in a shipyard in Malta. We hit some rough weather off Scotland and one of the stabilizers wasn't working, but the ship rode as smooth or smoother than any of the larger ships. I would love to cruise on Prinsendam again.

If you sail her again and choose an inside, get one of the large insides. They are HUGE - SY size , was in one last time on a visit. Pics of that cabin are on HALfacts I believe along with others.

Edited by kazu

A friend on board has reported that once they see how the new Pinnacle sells she will most likely be gone as she is expensive to maintain .

Please don't shoot the messenger.

LOL...I would never shoot you.. You are a gem..:D

Thanks for the info.. Hopefully we will be able to sail her again before she leaves the fleet..

We unfortunately had to cancel our booked Prinsendam cruise a few years ago so we've never had the pleasure. We still look at her very unique itineraries and while I don't see it happening anytime soon we'd still like to sail on her. Obviously different people look for different things in cruises but we're destination cruisers so it's itineraries in parts of the world we're interested in visiting that get our attention and interest. A second consideration is the size of the ship and for us it has become the smaller the better. Bottom line is that we're more than willing to pay extra for an extraordinary cruise.

Edited by Randyk47

In September, Captain Tim Roberts told the people at the 4* party that HAL is commited to Prinsendam for 5 more years.

I tend to believe this and certainly hope it's true. While Elegant Explorer may be more expensive to repair, being built as a luxury ship I think there are better construction standards so things should be less likely to break than on other ships.

In any case, it won't be here forever so it's very worth sailing it while still possible.

Roy

In September, Captain Tim Roberts told the people at the 4* party that HAL is commited to Prinsendam for 5 more years.

I tend to believe this and certainly hope it's true. While Elegant Explorer may be more expensive to repair, being built as a luxury ship I think there are better construction standards so things should be less likely to break than on other ships.

In any case, it won't be here forever so it's very worth sailing it while still possible.

Roy

We were told 5 years on our May - June 2013 cruise as well. But someone onboard was told what I reported by an officer. Time will tell I guess.

I suspect because of her unique design it is head to get replacement parts. I remember them saying it took time to replace broken windows as they had to be specially ordered .

The longer she's around, the happier I am;)

Someone said they would NOT sail her on a TA. I understand there may be less activities than on a 2000 passenger ship. We are sailing her on a TA because it is a less expensive way to have 7 glorious sea days in her SY cabins. I don't care about activities as long as I have a good book. I can hang out in my cabin and be perfectly happy. Now, if I were in an OV on any other ship where I had to get on my bed to see out, I might be looking for lots of activities.