Have you ever been left in a port

Herby

Not left, but, on Princess in Alaska, my husband made all the arrangements. Usually I do but this was his trip so I just went where he said. We strolled back to the ship and realized after passing the first ship with its lines of people getting on there were no lines at ours. A port worker asked if we were so and so, we said yes, and a car showed up to drive us the remaining way. Our names had been announce on the ship many times for over 30 min. They had been out looking for us, we were 30 min late and they were about 30 sec from leaving. Needless to say I was speechless and I avoided asking my DH what happened until in our room. He just read the wrong schedule and actually thought we were early getting back. We slunk into the dining room afraid everyone was looking at us(they weren't). We had met one couple and I eventually got up the nerve to ask, that's how I found out about our name announcements. Never letting him handle ALL the details again. Think there's one I'll always check! Whew!! Too close!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Not left, but, on Princess in Alaska, my husband made all the arrangements. Usually I do but this was his trip so I just went where he said. We strolled back to the ship and realized after passing the first ship with its lines of people getting on there were no lines at ours. A port worker asked if we were so and so, we said yes, and a car showed up to drive us the remaining way. Our names had been announce on the ship many times for over 30 min. They had been out looking for us, we were 30 min late and they were about 30 sec from leaving. Needless to say I was speechless and I avoided asking my DH what happened until in our room. He just read the wrong schedule and actually thought we were early getting back. We slunk into the dining room afraid everyone was looking at us(they weren't). We had met one couple and I eventually got up the nerve to ask, that's how I found out about our name announcements. Never letting him handle ALL the details again. Think there's one I'll always check! Whew!! Too close!!

That's funny

That is why I say double check the board at gangway to confirm the time to be back on board

A few times have gotten off then thought are we leaving at 5 or 6

And asked anyone in the street who looked like they were off the cruise

Enjoy your organising

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's funny

That is why I say double check the board at gangway to confirm the time to be back on board

A few times have gotten off then thought are we leaving at 5 or 6

And asked anyone in the street who looked like they were off the cruise

Enjoy your organising

Actually I did check when leaving the ship, there was no sign, at the time I thought it odd but was my first(and so far only)Princess cruise. Next port I checked, still no sign. Upcoming a Celebrity in Jan. I will be planning or at least paying very close attention to plans!!!

Always double check what time to be back on board if we are "doing our own thing" in port.

We usually check in at least 1-2 hrs. before departure.

My worst nightmare and probably every other cruiser is being left behind, and I really don't want that to become a reality.

Maybe if I just check that time again..............

Actually I did check when leaving the ship, there was no sign, at the time I thought it odd but was my first(and so far only)Princess cruise. Next port I checked, still no sign. Upcoming a Celebrity in Jan. I will be planning or at least paying very close attention to plans!!!

I like the sign out as that takes into account of any last minute changes they make re departure

If no sign I double check with security there

To much of an issue missing the ship

Came very close once top end of Norway miles from everywhere and was my own stupid fault

Not a nice feeling

I wonder whether they were on a private excursion.

if you scroll down to the comments, they indicated it was a private excursion and that they would never book another, unless it was with the ship.

Apparently, the Jamaican police and coast guard helped them and they said it was the captain that saved the day. It may have had something to do with the 70 yr old mother, who needed her medication.

They were 1.5 hours late getting back

Edited by lyannea

I was on two ship tours (one in Portland, ME and the other in Bar Harbor, ME) that got back several hours after the ship was supposed to have sailed.

I was on an afternoon tour in St. Lucia that was supposed to get back to the ship 15 minutes before we were supposed to be on board. The problem was that when I walked from the ship to the bus, it took me 15 minutes to get to the bus (and I was walking very quickly), so if we were dropped off even one minute late, I couldn't count on the ship waiting for us. However, our tour guide called the ship and told us that another tour was running an hour late, so I was able to walk at a leisurely pace from the bus to the ship.

I don't mind a 15 minute gap between the time your tour ends and the time you have to be on the ship, but that's if you get dropped off within a minute's walk to the ship. Being expected to walk very quickly in 15 minutes in order to get back on the ship is not reasonable IMHO.

That's odd. On every Princess cruise I've been on there was a sign letting everyone know what time to be back.

Edited by Treven

That's funny

I also check to make sure that whatever timepiece I am using is synched with ship time.

That's odd. On every Princess cruise I've been on there was a sign letting everyone know what time to be back.

Another problem we encountered is the use of Military Time on the 'Boarding Time' board. It's common in most places, not so much in the US.

Not see it happen to someone else or hear about it... Have YOU ever been left in a port?

Never ever. We are back at least an hour before asked and in the the very few times we have cut the rule it was because we were on a ship sponsored excursion. I am big boned and running up the pier would not look good on me :D

On our last cruise in Costa Rica, there was an excursion that was 45 minutes late. The 2 motor coachs came right up the pier and stopped along side the ship. Come to find out, it was a ship excursion, but the majority of the people on the excursion were the ship's crew. I'm sure they were not going to sail away without them. ;)

We have been on ship's excursions that ran very late. We almost only book them through the ship and consider the extra cost as insurance that you won't get left behind, or in the worst case would have help getting to the next port.

We've never come close. DH is very good with stuff like that. However, my BIL and nephew got their names announced a few times in STT. They arrived at the pier on time but decided to go back on the island somewhere to buy liquor in a painted liquor bottle. They did some running, but I'm not sure if they feared missing the ship or the wrath of my SIL. She was HOT. If she'd taken a dip in the pool it would have been transformed to a hot tub!!