Denali/Seward only

ocean paradise

Do not waste your time on driving into Denali. We did a driving tour in Alaska two years ago. We did the very expensive trip into Denali and left a day early. You can see and do want you want from outside the park. The food was the worse I have ever had. Unless you are a serious hiker there is nothing else to do. We wanted to fish. Out of 40 poles they had one that was not broken. They dropped us off up the street and there was no place to put a pole in. Enjoy the rest of the state.

There are only a couple of lodges deep INSIDE the park ( they're beyond Wonder Lake). They seem to be quite pricey, all inclusive type places with guides and excursions. Which lodge did you visit?

Do not waste your time on driving into Denali. We did a driving tour in Alaska two years ago. We did the very expensive trip into Denali and left a day early. You can see and do want you want from outside the park. The food was the worse I have ever had. Unless you are a serious hiker there is nothing else to do. We wanted to fish. Out of 40 poles they had one that was not broken. They dropped us off up the street and there was no place to put a pole in. Enjoy the rest of the state.

You can only drive 16 miles INTO Denali. This is NOT the place to fish. Other areas would have been far better choices. It sounds like you didn't make the right plans, since Denali IS very worthwhile to get into, and enjoyed by many with the interest. It wasn't for you.

Are you sure you're talking about Denali Nat'l Park? I ask, because there's no food inside (except for snacks at the Mercantile and Wilderness Access Center); you need to take your own. If you went out to Kantishna, where they have food, you are being fed by private lodges and places grandfathered in after the park was founded.

Secondly, as has been said, you don't drive in (beyond 16 miles). You ride shuttle buses and see amazing scenery and wildlife. Hard to imagine that doesn't appeal, but to each his own.

As for fishing, most streams and lakes in Denali NP are silty, and poor fish habitat.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but everyone else, it's an incredible place! Just don't go to fish or eat.

The only thing that I can say is to wonder if you went to the same Denali that all the rest of us went to. Does not sound like you did.

DON

With a family of 6 plus luggage your probably better off doing a cruise tour. With 6 you'll need at least an 8 passenger van to carry the group with luggage. Keep in mind that costs in Alaska are more then say going to Florida or California.Check to seen if you can locate a private operator for the tour. It might be better to let someone else arrange the hotels , transportation etc for the tour.

We are planning to do the same itinerary next year with the 6 of us. I just planned and executed a 1 week tour of Jackson and Yellowstone that went well, but for one week land/one week cruise, I'm afraid we'll have too much luggage for the Suburban we rented. Is there a private tour company you recommend?

Someone also mentioned that you can leave some luggage at a hotel if you are returning there in a few days. Anyone have any experience with storing luggage in Anchorage?

Someone also mentioned that you can leave some luggage at a hotel if you are returning there in a few days. Anyone have any experience with storing luggage in Anchorage?

That was my suggestion. Yes, it's been done by many, incl me.

Pack lighter, with one bag, and do laundry. I am now in Alaska, for 4+ weeks. I have one medium suitcase and a backpack. I've been gone 3 weeks, and have done laundry 4 times- easily. This is the key to all my travel, which lately, I've been living on the road. :) (10 cruises already this year, along with 6++weeks of land travel)

Pack lighter, with one bag, and do laundry. I am now in Alaska, for 4+ weeks. I have one medium suitcase and a backpack. I've been gone 3 weeks, and have done laundry 4 times- easily. This is the key to all my travel, which lately, I've been living on the road. :) (10 cruises already this year, along with 6++weeks of land travel)

Thanks. We will be a total of 6 so luggage will be tight even with a suburban, but I do think we can manage to pack lighter. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of being in Alaska for weeks, so I really don't want to spend a significant amount of time washing. I'll try to identify hotels with laundry facilities.

Edited by ckelly14

Great. Which hotel if you don't mind me asking...

sorry, but I don't remember ... it was one of my first trips to Alaska. Probably a chain hotel in the midtown area.

It's not an uncommon request. Just offer a tip to the bellman or desk staff. It's similar to having a red-eye flight so you check out at 10am and leave your luggage at the hotel until 10pm.

Thanks. We will be a total of 6 so luggage will be tight even with a suburban, but I do think we can manage to pack lighter. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of being in Alaska for weeks, so I really don't want to spend a significant amount of time washing. I'll try to identify hotels with laundry facilities.

To consider less impact on your valuable vacation time. I get up earlier or do my laundry at the end of the day (keeping in mind the laundry hours which some hotels have). About 1 1/2 hours of time usually.

My bag comments above were for 2 people. My husband is a wheel chair user, so another reason, it is necessary for me, to pack light. I never depend on any porters etc and manage everything myself. :) I am currently traveling with my nephew on a more extensive journey that really wasn't doable with mobility restrictions. Fortunately, my husband did get to these places previously, with me. Another reason my responses are geared toward "living for today". :)

Last month six of us did an inland trip in a minivan, rented from Anchorage airport Hertz. We all fit just fine, including luggage (and we were worried!). We did manage to keep our stuff to a roller bag (plus backpack and jackets) apiece by doing laundry once, after the cruise at the beginning of land trip. We rented a house/cabin via VRBO at our first stop, and it had a laundry room, so could do it at our convenience at night and early morning. Worked great. Highly recommend that option over a hotel if you can do it! (Though we would have done laundry at hotel and been fine with it too. This was just amazingly convenient and the house gave us tons of space & great views/location.)

Forgot to mention -- we did ship a couple of extra sweatshirts and dress clothes home from AK, but that was only because we went to a minor league baseball game in Anchorage and my son got to be the team's bat boy that night, so they gave him a baseball bat signed by the whole team! THAT didn't fit into a roller bag. So we made an unexpected stop by the UPS store and put a few clothes in the box with the bat. Well worth it, though -- a highlight of his trip! And without that, we still would have fit in the minivan fine. Also, having a hotel hang on to one of your suitcases for you sounds like a good idea too. But UPSing home a few cruise things you no longer need for land trip is an option.

I am also planning a Denali trip post cruise-we are taking the Sun NB ending in Seward. I have to convince my party that planning it on your own is better than a cruise tour. So far, I have heard they just want it to be easy and not have to worry. I do not mind driving, but some in my party think the domed train cars sound awesome. Did anyone have any issues planning their own trip? How far out did you make hotel reservations? Is it possible to do both train/rental car? Thanks for any help given!

I am also planning a Denali trip post cruise-we are taking the Sun NB ending in Seward. I have to convince my party that planning it on your own is better than a cruise tour. So far' date=' I have heard they just want it to be easy and not have to worry. I do not mind driving, but some in my party think the domed train cars sound awesome. Did anyone have any issues planning their own trip? How far out did you make hotel reservations? Is it possible to do both train/rental car? Thanks for any help given![/quote']

Even if you are just contemplating a rental car, make the reservation NOW. You can get an economy car now for $150 a week; by next summer that will be the daily rate. Most car reservations don't require a deposit and don't have a cancel fee but check to be sure.

Perhaps compromise and take the domed train from Seward to Anchorage, which is the most scenic leg, then drive to Denali. The drive from Anc to Denali is 5/6 hrs so it's a straight shot, but having the car will allow you to make stops for wildllife or other points of interest. Look at the Alaska Railroad for the fares and schedule ... that might help with the decision.

Planning a trip isn't too difficult if you're only talking about a week post cruise. The only difficult part is deciding WHAT to see. That will drive your itinerary. Once you have an itinerary, you can book lodging. I'd suggest getting your lodging booked now also .. you'll have best choice of places to stay and you'll probably get current yrs pricing.

Have fun planning !

Edited by mapleleaves

We made our car and hotel reservations about 11 months out (last summer, for trip this past June). We also reserved our excursions (flightseeing, whale watching etc) last , last summer and fall. It allowed us to get the best rates, get our first choice of lodging and vendors, and have a long time to look forward to our adventures!

We did not take the train up to Denali, and were very happy with our choice to drive (minivan with six people). On our drive up, we had the only clear day for Mt. McKinley in two weeks. We were glad we could stop, pull off and take as many gorgeous pictures as we wanted at several different points (as well as stop to hang out with a mama and baby moose on the side of the road for a little while). It also allowed us to stop in Talkeetna on the way up to do a flight around McKinley, which was my husband's favorite part of the trip; and to stay in cabins in Healy while up at McKinley, very nice and affordable, and get to and from the actual park on our schedule, not a shuttle/cruisetour bus. It wasn't difficult or stressful at all to plan on our own. The collective wisdom and tips from great people on this board were extremely helpful in figuring out what our group was most interested in doing, and planning around that. We had a wonderful time, saved money, and enjoyed not being at the mercy of the cruisetour or railroad schedule. All kinds of experiences can be wonderful in Alaska, of course -- but I wouldn't hesitate or be wary of planning it yourself, and you won't miss any views by driving -- you'll probably have better ones! Have fun deciding and planning.

We made our car and hotel reservations about 11 months out (last summer, for trip this past June). We also reserved our excursions (flightseeing, whale watching etc) last , last summer and fall. It allowed us to get the best rates, get our first choice of lodging and vendors, and have a long time to look forward to our adventures!

We did not take the train up to Denali, and were very happy with our choice to drive (minivan with six people). On our drive up, we had the only clear day for Mt. McKinley in two weeks. We were glad we could stop, pull off and take as many gorgeous pictures as we wanted at several different points (as well as stop to hang out with a mama and baby moose on the side of the road for a little while). It also allowed us to stop in Talkeetna on the way up to do a flight around McKinley, which was my husband's favorite part of the trip; and to stay in cabins in Healy while up at McKinley, very nice and affordable, and get to and from the actual park on our schedule, not a shuttle/cruisetour bus. It wasn't difficult or stressful at all to plan on our own. The collective wisdom and tips from great people on this board were extremely helpful in figuring out what our group was most interested in doing, and planning around that. We had a wonderful time, saved money, and enjoyed not being at the mercy of the cruisetour or railroad schedule. All kinds of experiences can be wonderful in Alaska, of course -- but I wouldn't hesitate or be wary of planning it yourself, and you won't miss any views by driving -- you'll probably have better ones! Have fun deciding and planning.

You got it just right!!!

DON

I recommend Denali Crow's Nest cabins in Denali. Affordable cabins near everything. Provides transportation to and from train depot and entrance to the park. They even offer preparing your box lunches for the shuttle bus tour (no food/beverages available in the park).

The shuttle bus to the Eielson Visitor Center was awesome. Very reasonable priced, got to see lots of wildlife, driver provides great commentary along the route.

I recommend dinner at Prospectors Pizzeria and Alehouse in Denali. Outstanding food and service.

We took the Alaska Railroad train to and from Anchorage/Denali with 2 nights in Denali, and then another train from Anchorage to Seward to board the ship.

We're doing this same itinerary next August, sailing SB from Seward. I was planning on 5 days precruise, flying into Fairbanks, going to Denali on day 2 for 2 nights and then following another tbd stop making our way over to Seward, all by rental car. But, it seems most fly into Anchorage, then go to Denali and then double back to the coast. Why this double back route? Is it just because of airfare rates or is Fairbanks not good?

We're doing this same itinerary next August, sailing SB from Seward. I was planning on 5 days precruise, flying into Fairbanks, going to Denali on day 2 for 2 nights and then following another tbd stop making our way over to Seward, all by rental car. But, it seems most fly into Anchorage, then go to Denali and then double back to the coast. Why this double back route? Is it just because of airfare rates or is Fairbanks not good?

No it's because one-way car rental is extremely expensive.

No it's because one-way car rental is extremely expensive.

Got it! So, rt from anchorage to the park and train down to Seward. We're a group of 7 in 2 cars so I think the 1way rental works out better, but I'll have to double check. Thanks!

Got it! So, rt from anchorage to the park and train down to Seward. We're a group of 7 in 2 cars so I think the 1way rental works out better, but I'll have to double check. Thanks!

I am one who always advocates making the best use of TIME. Not skimping on "money" in Alaska. In cases that are short on time, (I am very skewed on this point, as, I never go for less than 2 weeks mainland touring (3 weeks with a cruise- at least, fully admitted). a one way car rental can make the best use of time, by far. If someone has less than a week, (what I would consider short time in Alaska, if including Denali and Seward), why would anyone waste time backtracking hours? Like it or not, Alaska isn't a travel destination most people make multiple random trips to, comparing the Caribbean, as an example. Distances are frequently underestimated. Activities are what it's about in Alaska. Sorry, but thinking a "road" trip, riding by on a train or bus is "touring Alaska", is grossly mistaken. You are missing great number of touring opportunities.

So, "double checking" is a great option to consider. Determine what you want out of your trip and make it happen. :) If a costly one way car rental offers you more, then don't look back. Rent the one way car, then see and do all you can.

So will most places.

Agreed. However, our group was the only ones on the full shuttle bus to carry on a box lunch. Most just had a few snacks with them, some brought nothing. I was surprised. I did like having the cabins prepare our lunches because they drove us to breakfast, then picked us up an hour later with the lunches ready, and took us to the Wilderness Access Center for our tour. It was very convenient for our large group.