RCCL-Needs 18-20 age group activities

What is it going to take for cruise lines to recognize that there needs to be an organized event for the 18-20 year old group each night. I'm not talking about a meet and greet and then forget about them. How about a special night club that serves mocktails and has a dance floor? How about karoke? Cruise lines are missing an entire opportunity to keep these kids entertained, and really it wouldn't cost a whole lot for them to implement either.

What's your take? My daughter travels with us (she will be 19 soon) and luckily our last cruise she met another girl and the two of them hung out. If it wasn't for the other girl, I'm not so sure if she would have connected with anyone. Surely I'm not the only frequent cruiser that wonders why cruise lines have neglected to entertain that age group.

Our next cruise is next June (6/14 sailing) on the Independence of the Seas, she will be almost twenty by then.

What is it going to take for cruise lines to recognize that there needs to be an organized event for the 18-20 year old group each night. I'm not talking about a meet and greet and then forget about them. How about a special night club that serves mocktails and has a dance floor? How about karoke? Cruise lines are missing an entire opportunity to keep these kids entertained, and really it wouldn't cost a whole lot for them to implement either.

What's your take? My daughter travels with us (she will be 19 soon) and luckily our last cruise she met another girl and the two of them hung out. If it wasn't for the other girl, I'm not so sure if she would have connected with anyone. Surely I'm not the only frequent cruiser that wonders why cruise lines have neglected to entertain that age group.

Our next cruise is next June (6/14 sailing) on the Independence of the Seas, she will be almost twenty by then.

Hi Janet, on our recent BotS cruise, most of this age group were in the disco each night drinking mocktails, there weren't very many of them though!

Is there that much of a group in that age group on each ship to have a dedicated club? Can't they go in the "normal" clubs and dance, sing, and get mocktails? :confused:

Hi Janet, on our recent BotS cruise, most of this age group were in the disco each night drinking mocktails, there weren't very many of them though!

I think there would be more involvement if there was a dedicated gathering spot for that age group on a nightly basis. Wouldn't have to be the same club each night either. More involvement for the 18-20 year old and will keep them interested in cruising through out their young adult years. Of course this is my opinion and I guess the cruise lines either did their research and there isn't enough of an interest or they don't want to waste more revenue on entertaining that age group.

Is there that much of a group in that age group on each ship to have a dedicated club? Can't they go in the "normal" clubs and dance, sing, and get mocktails? :confused:

It's kind of like they forgot about the 18-20 (not legal drinking age for the Caribbean cruises) year old group. From 12-17 they had their own club and group, to then they turn 18 and yes they can go to the clubs but they can't drink and from what I understand there is some awkwardness. I'm only trying to interpret what my daughter says.

On the Independence of the Seas out of Southampton your daughter will be able to go the Night Club and drink because the age is 18 years old like it is here in Australia.

Bring your daughter to Oz for a South Pacific or New Zealand Cruise she will have no trouble finding an Aussie Guy that wants to dance with a 19 year old USA Lady.

I think there would be more involvement if there was a dedicated gathering spot for that age group on a nightly basis. Wouldn't have to be the same club each night either. More involvement for the 18-20 year old and will keep them interested in cruising through out their young adult years. Of course this is my opinion and I guess the cruise lines either did their research and there isn't enough of an interest or they don't want to waste more revenue on entertaining that age group.

I agree completely. My DS cruised with us last summer when he was 19 and he had a horrible time finding people his age. Being used to the "kids club" he was fine with organized meetings....but there weren't any to be found.

Agree. When DD was in that age group she hung around with us. She did try the meet and greet a few times, but they were always in a general area and she was never sure who else was there for the same thing. She still does cruise with us but did bring her boyfriend on the last cruise. Hey at least he propsed on that cruise!! She was never a big one for teen club.

Sailing with DS in a few weeks who will be 19. He always did enjoy the teen club, this is his first cruise after turning 18. Hoping he finds others or it will be a long week. Always amazes me how different they both are.

This really depends on the person. My 18 year olds had no problems. It's about going to the evening activities, and meeting people. Each club on the ship seems to have an "age group" and theme. At some point in time, they just need to learn how to handle themselves without someone holding their hand (organized activities like in kid's club).

My 18 year old daughter just came back from a cruise with her grandparents. She said there was no one to organize the 18-20 year olds. There was only a sign at the bar in the disco that said they should meet there. No one knew who was part of the group and who wasn't. Like previous posters said, there was no organization and even though they are adults, there is still awkwardness and could use the help of someone to break the ice.

My daughter is fairly outgoing and participated in a lot of activities, esp those for her age group. She was even a team captain for Quest. However, she still had trouble finding someone just to hang with for the week. She responded to a post-cruise survey from RCI and let them know that they need to have more organized activities with someone from the activities staff taking the lead. Hopefully they will listen.

In the UK the age you become an "adult" is 18, so as someone else said, there isn't really a problem from here - on land here there's very little done for 18-20 year olds as they can do what adults do.

Can't your daughter take a friend and have their own room? Are there many people who to on hols with an 18-20 year old without a friend with them (just asking as that wouldn't happen in the UK, they would either go as couples or with friends plus family.

Edited by Adayatatime