Does Anyone Dress Up?

crisp1

Ok. We're more of the traditional cruisers- prefer traditional dining and like the 'formal' nights. We're booked on the 12 night rt Gem 12/01/14 and are able to drive to NYC- so we can bring all the luggage the car can handle. We both enjoy the formal nights and 'dress up'. NCL has the 'white hot nights' but is there any other nights on a 12 night that we can dress up- or should we leave the fancies at home

Hi Crisp1 ~ Seems we are on the same cruise;) It's going to be a great cruise I'm sure.

We (I) take pretty blouses/tops (nothing super dressy) and slacks. I do bring two "dressier" tops for Night Out. I don't dress up these days at home since retirement LOL...DH wears dress shirts over slacks/Dockers...He will bring 1 sport jacket, 2 ties for those nights I want to be a little dressier and take nice pictures.

We've been on a few NCL longer cruises and a lot of people look lovely. It may sound silly, but I personally feel you get a little better service in the DR if one looks like they care about their appearance. JMHO...I have seen that in action a couple of times. It may not be right, but........

So, wear what makes YOU feel good...I'm sure you'll be glad you did.

:)

Safe sails...

PS are you coming to the M&G whenever? I believe we will.

Edited by UandMe4Ever

My observation was about half the passengers were dressed up on Norwegian's Night out. I didn't see any tuxes or ball gowns but a lot of suits/sport coats and nice dresses.

I'm sure it depends on the itinerary and maybe even the time of year. On our Epic cruise in 2012 (Western Caribbean) it was on a sea day and I would say about half the folks dressed a little better, but most of that was docker/polo type attire instead of suit/tie attire. In AK on the Jewel, fewer people upgraded what they wore (maybe 25%), but those that did wore dresses and suits for the most part (and were older).

My husband and I enjoy getting dressed up for dinner, especially for the specialty restaurants, and also for picture nights. Have used many of these photos on Christmas cards and get so many wonderful comments.

I agree with cpcanuck and khia213 comments. I love dressing up and take at least 5 or 6 cocktail dresses for a 7 day cruise. I'm not young, but still think I look good in a dress (my husband says so, sweet thing) and really don't get that much of an opportunity to dress up when home.

I disagree with ConnieG. Seems we get more attention at dinner when we are dressed to the T rather in casual wear. Try this just about anywhere when your out and about at home. People tend to pay more attention to you when you look exceptionally nice then just in normal wear. Just my assumption, that's all. Wear what you want. Just don't show up in your underwear. Just have a grand time whatever you do. Feel what's right for you. Enjoy your cruise.

We're the same way. DH & I get dressed up for each other. I think men look better dressed nicely & he feels the same way about women. I'm not there to look at other men, but if anyone catches my attention, it would be the one that's dressed nicer. Like I said earlier, I personally wouldn't wear a beaded or sequined gown on NCL, but cocktail dresses & floor length skirts w/ nice tops would be fine.

Yes, the other lines have done their best to copy NCL: ).

Yeah, NCL offered it first, but you can get most of the same things on several mass market lines now. I'm just saying it's overused on this board, because it's no longer unique. It's like saying, "I'm better than you because I was one of the first people to own an Iphone." Now many of us have Iphones, so is that person really all that special? They should come back to brag, when they have a satellite phone. :p I often wonder if people here have experienced other lines in recent years or at all to know they're bragging about something that's no longer totally unique to NCL. People coming here for the first time could be led to believe freestyle meant you could go on an NCL ship & literally do anything you want any time you want. I can just imagine the things people would do & requests they would make. :eek: :D FWIW, I think NCL has some features that are worth bragging about. The lauding of freestyle here can be misleading though.

OP, sorry for going OT. I'll smack my hand for you. :o

I'm sure it depends on the itinerary and maybe even the time of year. On our Epic cruise in 2012 (Western Caribbean) it was on a sea day and I would say about half the folks dressed a little better, but most of that was docker/polo type attire instead of suit/tie attire. In AK on the Jewel, fewer people upgraded what they wore (maybe 25%), but those that did wore dresses and suits for the most part (and were older).

No doubt that itinerary and time of year affect this.

We're the same way. DH & I get dressed up for each other. I think men look better dressed nicely & he feels the same way about women. I'm not there to look at other men, but if anyone catches my attention, it would be the one that's dressed nicer. Like I said earlier, I personally wouldn't wear a beaded or sequined gown on NCL, but cocktail dresses & floor length skirts w/ nice tops would be fine.

Yeah, NCL offered it first, but you can get most of the same things on several mass market lines now. I'm just saying it's overused on this board, because it's no longer unique. It's like saying, "I'm better than you because I was one of the first people to own an Iphone." Now many of us have Iphones, so is that person really all that special? They should come back to brag, when they have a satellite phone. :p I often wonder if people here have experienced other lines in recent years or at all to know they're bragging about something that's no longer totally unique to NCL. People coming here for the first time could be led to believe freestyle meant you could go on an NCL ship & literally do anything you want any time you want. I can just imagine the things people would do & requests they would make. :eek: :D FWIW, I think NCL has some features that are worth bragging about. The lauding of freestyle here can be misleading though.

OP, sorry for going OT. I'll smack my hand for you. :o

It is still unique because NCL is still the only cruise line that is 100% Freestyle, which is as much a mindset as it is anything else. I was just remarking on another thread that all of the other lines offer some version of anytime dining but typically it is only offered to a percentage of passengers- the vast majority of passengers are still given an early seating or a late seating.

Hi Crisp1 ~ Seems we are on the same cruise;) It's going to be a great cruise I'm sure.

Safe sails...

PS are you coming to the M&G whenever? I believe we will.

Yes, I'm sure it will be a great cruise- hoping things start to pick up on the roll call- but we are 18 weeks away, so I'm sure that will pick up soon too. Along with the plans for the M&G :D

Still trying to find out how many optional dress up nights there are on a 12 day

Ok. We're more of the traditional cruisers- prefer traditional dining and like the 'formal' nights. We're booked on the 12 night rt Gem 12/01/14 and are able to drive to NYC- so we can bring all the luggage the car can handle. We both enjoy the formal nights and 'dress up'. NCL has the 'white hot nights' but is there any other nights on a 12 night that we can dress up- or should we leave the fancies at home

We dress for dinner every night; for us it is a part of cruising. I don't mean gowns and tiaras, but we usually wear long maxi dresses and heels and nice jewelry, or maybe nice slacks with heels and a fancy top. It's nice to feel you made an effort and you look your best.

I would leave the tux and tiaras at home - I saw a couple "dressed up" one night and they looked really out of place, I could tell that they were shocked that everyone was not in formals and tux. We were definitely the "hoi polloi" compared to them.

But dressing up in a suit, or slacks and sport coat (DH favorite cruise attire), for men and nice dress or slacks and dressy top is never out of place. And on dress up or not nights you will see more people dressed than not - especially in Europe.

Yes, I'm sure it will be a great cruise- hoping things start to pick up on the roll call- but we are 18 weeks away, so I'm sure that will pick up soon too. Along with the plans for the M&G :D

Still trying to find out how many optional dress up nights there are on a 12 day

On our 17 Night on NCL we only had 2 dress up or not nights. This is NCL, so no need to go over the top, but go the little extra mile. There are 2 on our cruise to the best of my knowledge.:)

I love getting dressed up a bit, too, but I just was told by my doctor that I can't wear heels any more. :( I'm not sure how to dress now. So my advice is to dress up while you can and enjoy every minute of it. I'll watch and admire you from my seat.:)

I love getting dressed up a bit, too, but I just was told by my doctor that I can't wear heels any more. :( I'm not sure how to dress now. So my advice is to dress up while you can and enjoy every minute of it. I'll watch and admire you from my seat.:)

There are lots if pretty flat shoes, sandals, thongs, some with glitter, silver, gold, satin, patent leather, flowers, decorative buckles etc I usually wear flats for comfort and take one pair of strappy heels if I feel like it.

There are lots if pretty flat shoes, sandals, thongs, some with glitter, silver, gold, satin, patent leather, flowers, decorative buckles etc I usually wear flats for comfort and take one pair of strappy heels if I feel like it.

I guess it's time to shopping again!:D That's always a good thing, right?!:D

My DD(17) loves dressing up for dinner on cruises (and for school dances). She is almost 6' so she never wears heels. She usually finds some really cute and sparkly thong type sandals.

• 2 weeks later...

well the way i look at it, my husband is the only one i care about. so if i get dressed up its to impress him and no one else. besides no one is paying for this cruise but me, and if i dont want to get dressed up, then i'm not goin to. whatever floats your boat. just have a good time!

No

Nice shorts with nice sandals are fine.

There is that word again: Nice

As long as they are "nice" everything is fine:

Jeans

Flip flops

Beach robes

Robes from the cabin

T- shirts including "nice" wife beaters

Yankees hats, preferably worn backwards or in a pinch sideways

Speedos

I could go on and on; have read far too many comments where all things are acceptable in all places and times as long as they are "nice"

Edited by PoppyandNana

We also like the "Traditional Dining", and this is not what NCL is about!

Personally, I love any excuse to wear a cute dress. I don't go over the top fancy, but I packed a dress for almost every night on our last cruise and I intend to do the same for the one (33 days away!). Like others have said, my boyfriend and I dress up for each other. It's nice and I never felt out of place.

I agree Shelly QT. I wear a more dressy dress on formal night but love to wear long casual dresses or sundresses on the other nights. I can wear my shorts and capris here at home when I go to Applebees or similar places. It's just fun to have the chance to dress up a little more than usual.

But, that said, it doesn't bother me to see others dressed in their more casual clothes at all. To each his own.