Booking date/ sailing date time frame ?

HawkIVette

Don't take this wrong, as I am not criticizing anyone. Everyone has their own reasons for when they book and how far out.

But I see a lot of posts of people that have to change or cancel their booking because of changes that are unforeseen in their life.

I usually book no more than 6 months out and have found that I find better deals around 3-6 months from sailing. I usually don't know what I will be doing next month, let alone 12 months from now. But maybe I am missing something.

I see a lot of people booking 1 year or sometimes more. I just don't get that. How can you plan a vacation that far out knowing what you are going to be doing at that time?

I usually book about 12 months out. Better deals and cabin choice at that time. While I cannot foresee family emergencies, I've never had one interfere with a vacation before. The earliest I've booked a cruise was 665 days out for my upcoming NCL Sun cruise (only 123 days to go!).

I book that early because I do know what I'm doing then.........I'll be doing what I have planned to do! ;)

We are older and can easily plan a year in advance. And for the three cruises I currently have booked (one was 9 months, one was 13 months, one was 15 months), all three have higher rates since when I booked them. And I am ES on all three so if they do happen to fall below what I paid, I will get an OBC. But from what I've seen so far, I don't expect it.

We have travel insurance. We may book 1 year out or several months out but it doesn't matter. IF we need to change something because of a serious problem we will just cancel, get our money back or the travel insurance will pay for whatever Carnival doesn't give us.

We do this with other sorts of vacations besides cruises.

We have several land trips planned throughout the year.

They were all planned 6-12months beforehand.

Don't take this wrong, as I am not criticizing anyone. Everyone has their own reasons for when they book and how far out.

But I see a lot of posts of people that have to change or cancel their booking because of changes that are unforeseen in their life.

I usually book no more than 6 months out and have found that I find better deals around 3-6 months from sailing. I usually don't know what I will be doing next month, let alone 12 months from now. But maybe I am missing something.

I see a lot of people booking 1 year or sometimes more. I just don't get that. How can you plan a vacation that far out knowing what you are going to be doing at that time?

We know what we are going to be doing at that time because that's how we plan our vacations. We usually book one year + out. We get our pick of cabins, we get price drops. We've never had to change our cruises because when we do book them, my husband and I put in for vacation at work and that's that. We book Past Guest rates so we CAN make changes in the event of an emergency. We also buy trip insurance the day we put down our deposit.

We booked Legend at 362 days out. Two days later, the price dropped $270.00. I called my PVP who adjusted the fare. One month after that, the price jumped $2,000.00 and has stayed that high since. If we had waited, we would be paying much, much more than we did.

Anything can happen at any time. You book 3-6 months out. A loved one can unfortunately get ill, a job can end. It doesn't matter when a person books, stuff happens.

We have school age children so we have to cruise during peak times and need two cabins near each other. By booking really early, we are able to get the cabins we want and if the price drops we will get credit.

We always book a year out for several reasons. (Well... except the last cruise and we booked 6 weeks out and felt like we missed out on a lot of thinking about our cruise time and planning! :o)

First, DH is a pediatrician and since he books between 4-6 months out...we have to plan that far in advance to make sure he doesn't book his vacation time up with patients.

Secondly, and equally as important, we love all that planning and thinking about what we want to do. We usually go with another family and there can be anywhere from 8 to 16 people so we have lots of fun having Pre cruise parties to plan.

Finally, we get to pick our cabins so we can be together. We usually book at least 2 OS and try to get balconies and insides near us!

Edited by momof4boys

We have school age children so we have to cruise during peak times and need two cabins near each other. By booking really early, we are able to get the cabins we want and if the price drops we will get credit.

Now that makes sense to me and it never occurred to me. Getting first pick of cabins for a group.

My wife and I cruise mostly by ourselves so we just take what ever cabins are available and that has never been a problem for us (we cruise inside cabins now, which seem to be easy to obtain a good one).

Thanks for everybody imput. I just wasn't thinking of other situations that never affected me.

Anything can happen at any time. You book 3-6 months out. A loved one can unfortunately get ill, a job can end. It doesn't matter when a person books, stuff happens.

Things can happen. But when I see so many posts of people having to cancel and losing their money, I wonder why they booked so far ahead with out having travel insurance or some kind of backup plan.

This is exactly why I only book 3-6 months out. I suffer from a medical condition that is treatable but incurable. So, not knowing when or how I will feel, I don't plan too far ahead. We always buy travel insurance so our vacation won't be a total loss ($$$). But we still plan ahead for another cruise, because that's what makes life worth living for us. Seeing the world and having fun together.

Edited by HawkIVette

Easy for us to book a year out, because we usually only cruise in the summer months when the kids are out of school. You get to pick your room and know in advance what the price is so you can plan and save accordingly. That's why I like doing it early. I made some changes but fortunately lost nothing.

That said, next trip I think I will plan a tad closer - 6-9 months. A year or more is an awful lot of anticipating, and I'm actually exhausted with the trip before I even go on it. ;)

Edited by cruizinisthebest

A year or more is an awful lot of anticipating, and I'm actually exhausted with the trip before I even go on it. ;)

That's what I would think too. Anything longer than 4 months, and I get real antsy waiting for it to start.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise! 12 day!!!!!! I just wouldn't be able to stand it at that point.

Actually, I used to never plan my cruises very far in advance because I also felt like who knew what could happen in a year. I also got fairly good pricing doing it that way except for the time I let my little sister book my 9-day on RCCL and I grossly overpaid.

But being on CC it's refreshing to see how many people plan 9-18 months in advance. I want to book a European or Med cruise for summer 2017 and will probably book it sometime next year. I just have to decide which line to go on!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by trixiegal

I booked almost 18 months out. I buy travel insurance. I book hotels a year out and they've doubled in price. So has my airfare. I have lots of time to save money to pay off the cruise and for spending money.

I'm a planner. Booking 3 months out would be super stressful for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I would think too. Anything longer than 4 months, and I get real antsy waiting for it to start.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise! 12 day!!!!!! I just wouldn't be able to stand it at that point.

Yeah too much. I feel like I've planned and researched and read everything under the sun!:p And yes at this point I can hardly stand it. I've been packed for a week. So excited!!!

Kids in school! The entire reason we always book our summer vacation 12+ months out. We know when they get out of school and when they go back and can check for the itinerary/trip we want. We don't always cruise but we always have a year to plan and it is fun to anticipate the end of the school year and our summer vacation.

We also tend to book early -- better cabin selection, plus longer amount of time to pay it off! :) We cruise on a budget, so it helps me to be able to make payments over the course of several months, leading up to final payment date.

We always get travel insurance, too!

We plan all of our vacations (cruises and land-based) a year or longer out. We can travel anytime of the year and try to avoid the times when kids are out of school. The rates are usually lower and we can basically have our choice of cabins. Anything can come up at anytime regardless of what kind of vacation you plan and when you plan it.

The popular and unusual cruises seel out quick. Repositioning cruises sell out fast.

Our Hawaii cruise in October and Mom's in December have both been sold out for a few months now. Every once in a while a cabin does become available though.

The Pacific Princess anniversary cruise in December has been sold out almost immediately since it has been open for booking.

I have always booked our cruises out by 9-12 months. It has just worked out that way..we are sailing over New Years this year and am glad we booked in January, because the price keeps going up, not to mention the price of air fair to San Juan.

Saying that, if I find a bargain on short notice and can make it happen in our busy schedules, I would do that as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I book at least a year out, normally! I have never had tochange or cancel a cruise. but I do this, because the handicapped cabins can go fast on popular sailing dates!

And while I have had some price reductions, normally, I don't -- even when others on the roll call are saying they did -- because that far in advance is usually the lowest they ever are!!

That said... I did book one cruise two days before sail away. And it worked fine!!!

You're right, tho'. Everyone has their own reason for their timing and what's right for them!!!

We book at least a year to year and a half out.....prices are GREAT, can pick the cabin of our choice.....plus we have to fly in to any port. Airfare opens 335 days out and prices have always been the lowest the day they open....and we grab airfare then. Has always worked in our favor. BTW, how do you even know 6 months out what could happen in 6 months time??? PS....we always buy travel insurance too!

Like most everyone that has posted we book early to have choice of staterooms, best price and time to pay off the cruise plus the fun of anticipation of the cruise. We also have to request vacation time. As others have said, you don't know what will happen in the next few day anymore than the next 12 months. My daughter gave birth to a preemie the week before we were scheduled to cruise. I booked that cruise planning to be home 10 weeks before she was due. You just never know that is why trip insurance exists.