Upgrading room after booking

Fokis

Hello all,

First off, I appreciate any advice. I'm baffled by the amount of responses you all give to people who make threads on here. It's probably the most successful forum I've seen online.

Here we go. I booked a cruise today for 08/10/14 from Seattle to Alaska on Norwegian Pearl.

I chose an inside stateroom GTY Category 1X. Pretty sure this is the cheapest possible place on the ship. This cost me $1,755.00 after taxes/fees. The next room up, ocean view, would be around $2,350 and the balcony would be around $3,600.00 after taxes/fees *Prices based on today

I'm listing the prices because I think the greater the variance in price, the more influence it has on me getting any type of upgrade. Maybe I'm wrong about that, I don't know.

What is the most realistic upgrade you guys can see me getting for free? None, probably, right? ;)

Do you think there is a chance of getting an ocean view room upgrade for less than $250.00 total before the trip? Right now, price diff is around $600.00.

Is balcony impossible with these big of variances in price between the rooms? It's almost $2,000.00 more to get a balcony right now.

Finally, what is the best to go about upgrading? Call in all the time and ask? Wait until the day before? Wait until day of?

Any great tips/suggestions for a fellow (cheap a$$), I mean, bargain hunter? :p

Thanks all!

Hello all,

First off, I appreciate any advice. I'm baffled by the amount of responses you all give to people who make threads on here. It's probably the most successful forum I've seen online.

Here we go. I booked a cruise today for 08/10/14 from Seattle to Alaska on Norwegian Pearl.

I chose an inside stateroom GTY Category 1X. Pretty sure this is the cheapest possible place on the ship. This cost me $1,755.00 after taxes/fees. The next room up, ocean view, would be around $2,350 and the balcony would be around $3,600.00 after taxes/fees *Prices based on today

I'm listing the prices because I think the greater the variance in price, the more influence it has on me getting any type of upgrade. Maybe I'm wrong about that, I don't know.

What is the most realistic upgrade you guys can see me getting for free? None, probably, right? ;)

Do you think there is a chance of getting an ocean view room upgrade for less than $250.00 total before the trip? Right now, price diff is around $600.00.

Is balcony impossible with these big of variances in price between the rooms? It's almost $2,000.00 more to get a balcony right now.

Finally, what is the best to go about upgrading? Call in all the time and ask? Wait until the day before? Wait until day of?

Any great tips/suggestions for a fellow (cheap a$$), I mean, bargain hunter? :p

Thanks all!

First of all, I would wait a few days to see if they assign you a cabin fairly quickly. You may find that they assign you to one of your desires without having to pay for anything.

Cruises to Alaska usually fill up and balconies are very popular. It's not at all impossible to be offered an upgrade, but not something I would count on. And sometimes the price offered is not a terrific deal.................upgrades are simply about supply and demand.

That said I hope the "Upgrade Fairy" gives you a call and you get a great deal.

With or without an upgrade you'll have a great cruise:)

My philosophy is book the room you will be happy with. If the Upgrade Fairy does call you, that's great!! We took this cruise a few years ago. You will have a fantastic time no matter what cabin you are in!! :)

I actually spoke to a representative the other day. Being that you are a guarantee room, if the run out of inside rooms, they may upgrade you for free to the next category. If the next category up drops below what you paid, you can also call and they will move you to the equal priced room, or "upgrade". When I asked about upsells, she said they occur right before the cruise, and who they call is random. She said if they do call, and you don't' answer, they move to the next person. Their financial revenue department is the one who makes decisions on the number and price of the upsells, so it will very greatly by the number and types of rooms already booked. Hopefully, you will be one of the lucky ones who gets called by the "upgrade" fairy! :)

I actually spoke to a representative the other day. Being that you are a guarantee room, if the run out of inside rooms, they may upgrade you for free to the next category. ...

Just to be clear - running out of inside rooms and having others is not the norm.

As to getting upgrades for less cost than what they are selling for - you surely should not expect it. Upgrades just do not happen often. They charge more for those rooms for a reason. They can get it. They need people to pay the actual prices to run the business so they don't just give it away.

There are 7 categories of inside rooms higher than IX so you may get assigned an IA or an IB or an IC and instead of being on Deck 4 or 5 you could be moved to Deck 9 or 10 - that would be considered an upgrade. The likelihood of you getting a free or really cheap upgrade to a balcony on a summer Alaska cruise is pretty slim.

Go enjoy your cruise & don't worry about windows or balconies - save the extra money for drinks or excursions or whatever. You aren't going to be hiding out in your cabin - you will be enjoying the ship & ports.

Also something that is not mentioned often. When upgrades are going to be given, it is not typical to take for example a lower priced inside and move them to a balcony. It is much more likely that a higher priced ocean view will be moved to a balcony and then the inside moved to the now vacated ocean view.

It is very rare/next to impossible for an inside for example to be moved to a suite at little or no cost. Mini Suites or balconies would more likely move up and then others below get a move.

Most upgrades appear to be more likely with category, IX move to IC for example.

Those that have said the Alaskan sailings usually sell out are wise, and correct. If it were me (and I *really* wanted that room). I would call Norwegian and pay the difference and asked to be moved. Don't count on them to offer it to you for half the difference "just because". DW and I were upgraded on both our breakaway sailings, but that was because we prefer to sail in off-peak times, and it was easier for Norwegian to move a balcony cabin than a Haven (or in the case of our last BW cruise an inside vs a mini suite)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UPNYGuy

RVsullivan...I've had it happen twice on the breakaway... See above. The prices fell so low that I called and they moved me

Edited by UPNYGuy

RVsullivan...I've had it happen twice on the breakaway... See above. The prices fell so low that I called and they moved me

OP was asking about free upgrades. With very few exceptions, if your willing to pay, NCL will move you to any room you want to pay for.

I have been intrigued by the whole free upgrade thing. Question, if you are in a lower suite (SJ), do they ever upgrade to a higher suite or are the suite's usually something that is always booked?

It CAN happen, but based upon sheer numbers of cabins its not very likely.