New to Oceania - a few questions

lincslady

Can someone who knows Oceania please answer a couple of questions - we have seen an offer which includes flights, transfers, gratuities, an upgrade and- to us more important - a 'prestige select beverage package'. We normally cruise an all-inclusive of drinks line, so would like to know how inclusive this offer is. It says 'wine by the glass' - is there any choice here, or is it just house wine or whatever is the red or white of the day? Presumably you can have a gin and tonic, cocktail etc. at any time? And how do staff know you are on this package? Do you show a card each time, wear a bracelet ( I doubt that!) or is everyone on the ship on the same package?

We do like the sound of the various restaurants, and have read that the food is very good. The cruises we are looking at are on Marina.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

We normally cruise an all-inclusive of drinks line, so would like to know how inclusive this offer is. It says 'wine by the glass' - is there any choice here, or is it just house wine or whatever is the red or white of the day?

The Package includes every wine which is served by the glass in the bars on the ship. Sample Bar Menues are available on the Oceania website:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/wine-lists/Bar-Menu.pdf

Presumably you can have a gin and tonic, cocktail etc. at any time?
Yes, at any time when any of the bars (including service bars) are open for business.
how do staff know you are on this package? Do you show a card each time, wear a bracelet ( I doubt that!) or is everyone on the ship on the same package?

Your Room Key (on Oceania they are known as "World Cards" because of the "Your World, Your Way", slogan) will be embossed in a special way. The card is presented at time of service.

Edited by StanandJim

This all inclusive promo is addressed to UK cruisers. This drink package includes a selection of wines by the glass- there a about a dozen to choose from. Mixed drinks as you like, Your room key/cruise card will be scanned for the drinks.

There are other discussions on this board

Can someone who knows Oceania please answer a couple of questions - we have seen an offer which includes flights, transfers, gratuities, an upgrade and- to us more important - a 'prestige select beverage package'. We normally cruise an all-inclusive of drinks line, so would like to know how inclusive this offer is. It says 'wine by the glass' - is there any choice here, or is it just house wine or whatever is the red or white of the day? Presumably you can have a gin and tonic, cocktail etc. at any time? And how do staff know you are on this package? Do you show a card each time, wear a bracelet ( I doubt that!) or is everyone on the ship on the same package?

We do like the sound of the various restaurants, and have read that the food is very good. The cruises we are looking at are on Marina.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hello, I recognise you from your postings on 'an all inclusive cruise line'. We moved over from there and we enjoy 'O' including the all inclusive package.

Like the 'other' line, if we don't like the wine on offer that day, we ask the sommelier for something else and we've never been refused or disappointed......Come on over:)

Very many thanks to you all - very helpful. While we love our regular 'all inclusive' line, it would be good to try something different. The only thing slightly putting us off is the much greater number of passengers on Oceania, but we might overcome this! Thanks again.

The only thing slightly putting us off is the much greater number of passengers on Oceania,

You don't say which "All Inclusive" Line you are coming from, but if it is a smaller ship that you are looking for, in my humble opinion, you simply cannot do any better than Oceania's Regatta, Insignia or Nautica. Collectively known as "The R Ships".

Cruise_ship_%27Regatta%27_at_Belfast_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1411169.jpgoceania-cruises-refub.jpg

They aren't the smallest afloat, by a long shot, but their thirty thousand ton frames make them the perfect combination of intimacy and big ship luxury and service.

OceaniaNauticaPool_thumb.jpg665_2706_320.jpg665_1394_320.jpgRegatta-Owners-Suite-300x224.jpg

StanandJim - I do know the R ships; have travelled on them before - I think on Swan Hellenic and another line, can't remember which. We didn't care for the ships much, as ships. The attraction of the newer O ships was the extra restaurant availability. We are used to no more than 450 passengers, on Seabourn.

I have just been looking at the reviews on the O ships, and, as with every line, some people love them and some hate them! You have to look at the percentages to get some idea, and the sound of the personalities who take a dislike to a line.

We are lucky to be able to make such decisions, with the current state of the world.

Hi lincslady

We have just returned from 10 nights on Insignia and (according to the Captain) there were a smidge over 700 passengers, however, it certainly didn't seem like that many. We have only cruised once before and that was on Seabourn Odyssey so I will give you a few of my thoughts.

1. Don't go below Penthouse if you want to sit on the loo properly or both of you want to use the bathroom at the same time. Shower is ok and the curtain not too 'clingy' but no bath.

2. Balcony staterooms are more narrow so again both of you can't pass the end of the bed at the same time.

3. The Terrace restaurant's outdoor seating area is much smaller than the Colonnade on Seabourn - fine when it is cooler as plenty of room inside and when lots of trips out as fewer people onboard.

4. I loved the layout of the ship, the library was far more cosy and the main dining room was far nicer and the whole ship had an English Country House feel to it with lots of nooks and crannies

5. Pool area almost identical to Seabourn

6. Speciality restaurants much better.

7. Food in main dining room better on Insignia than Seabourn but I preferred breakfast and lunch in Seabourn's Colonnade - more choice of freshly cooked options and being able to serve yourself. I know the staff serving is about hygiene but when I want 'tastes' of a variety of things I prefer to serve myself.

8. Entertainment singers not quite as good but loved Lesley Jon the CD and the band and string quartet were great

9. And finally the drinks package. Everything we wanted was included. 4 types of sparkling wine, about 7 reds & 7 whites and 3 roses plus about 5 dessert wines - all were pretty decent and all available at every lunch and dinner then there were beers, spirits and cocktails galore just like Seabourn. You asked for what you wanted, left your card on the table and it was taken at some point, swiped and returned to you. If you were only having one drink, say before dinner, then it was swiped when you ordered your drink. Some staff took it every time, others just when you had finished. A very minor inconvenience which we very quickly didn't even notice.

On the whole, we think O compares very favourably with Seabourn so I would highly recommend giving them a go.

Edited by Techno123

The repeat cruiser rate on most O cruises are 50% or more usually closer to 75% +

That should give you some idea of how many like O

CC only represent a small % of cruisers

Many thanks, Techno123, and to StanandJim for the wine and drinks list. It sounds as if the wines are very similar to those on Seabourn, and that the card system would not be a problem.

As I said, we were not too keen on the rather 'Edwardian' style of the R ship, nor on the flat floor in the Show Lounge, unless this has been changed. Very difficult to see the show unless you were right at the front. The main reason for being interested in O is that there is a lot more eating choice on the new ships. And if I recollect correctly the 2 speciality restaurants on the R ships are pretty small, and it could be difficult to get reservations - at least when we were on one with another line. Still thinking!

The Marina is a wonderful ship! We do not get the alcohol package because we do not like their wines by the glass and don't drink more than a cocktail or two a day. Instead, we buy disounted bottles at the beginning of the cruise or bring bottles onboard, or buy off of the list.

We love the kitchen cooking classes, superb spa with large sauna, heated tile chaises and thassalotherapy pool, espresso bar, pool area with excellent variety of chairs, fun 18-hole putting course, and the variety of excellent restaurants. We get a Penthouse Suite and on the last night or if we want to relax in our suite have the butler serve us dinner course by course from any of the restaurants. Riviera and Marina are now our favorite cruise ships.

The cruises we are looking at include the drinks package - certainly would not think of paying the fairly large amount for it. Looking at the cost, which also includes air, gratuities and transfers, it would be comparatively inexpensive for us, to go in a verandah cabin, which would be just about large enough. We have been spoilt by going in Seabourn suites at a minimum of 300 sq. ft. plus verandah. The real main attraction is the choice of restaurants, and what look like very good menus in them.

The Marina is a wonderful ship! We do not get the alcohol package because we do not like their wines by the glass and don't drink more than a cocktail or two a day. Instead, we buy disounted bottles at the beginning of the cruise or bring bottles onboard, or buy off of the list.

We love the kitchen cooking classes, superb spa with large sauna, heated tile chaises and thassalotherapy pool, espresso bar, pool area with excellent variety of chairs, fun 18-hole putting course, and the variety of excellent restaurants. We get a Penthouse Suite and on the last night or if we want to relax in our suite have the butler serve us dinner course by course from any of the restaurants. Riviera and Marina are now our favorite cruise ships.

The cruises we are looking at include the drinks package - certainly would not think of paying the fairly large amount for it. Looking at the cost, which also includes air, gratuities and transfers, it would be comparatively inexpensive for us, to go in a verandah cabin, which would be just about large enough. We have been spoilt by going in Seabourn suites at a minimum of 300 sq. ft. plus verandah. The real main attraction is the choice of restaurants, and what look like very good menus in them.

We, like you, enjoy SB, and have been on both Regatta and Riviera recently. We both felt we noticed more people on the Regatta than on the much bigger Riviera - I think because there are many more places to go on the Riviera. The choice of specialities is good, and opinion differs on one's favourites!

I would strongly recommend you go with a PH, on either ship, as the space, particularly on the Riviera/Marina is wonderful. The Oceania butlers are just fabulous - ours on the Riviera made our cruise! We saw the verandah staterooms and they are quite small - you would certainly notice it after SB! (but if that was our only choice and it was a cruise we wanted to do, we would consider it.)

We were "worried" about going on a bigger ship before we sailed on Riviera, but to be honest, we enjoyed the ship very much and because of the space, it did not feel like there were 1200 +/- other souls in board!

Go with an open mind, as some things are not SB, but for value for money, I've said this before, Oceania does take some beating if you get a good deal.

Many thanks to everyone who has answered. Fairbourne, as another SB cruiser I value your comments. A cruising friend has suggested it is worth going for a penthouse, although this would bring it above the cost of a Seabourn cruise to us. They too have tried both lines.

Still thinking!

Lincslady, I just wanted to add that we love the atmosphere on SB, with all the interaction with the Officers from the Captain down (Captain Magnus on the Quest was just fabulous on her maiden TA), but there is very little of that on Oceania. We enjoy the invites to hosted tables on SB, but again very little of that on Oceania - it's just different. But neither of these is a real deal breaker :).

My DH also says go for a PH .... The showing of the world card for drinks is not an issue and you would always have it with you anyway as it's your stateroom key card - different staterooms have different colour cards and there is a code on it which would reflect which drinks package you have, if any. The DH had the prestige drinks package, but tbh probably wouldn't have it again, unless it was a promotional "free", as some days he didn't drink "enough"! If you don't have a drinks package you have to sign a chit to charge your drink to your account. You obviously don't sign for the "included non-alcoholic drinks, etc.".

If there's anything else, just ask :)

fairbourne - many thanks. We don't mind too much not mingling with officers and staff much - indeed would not expect to as newbies on a much more populous ship.

The main reason for considering these cruises was, TBH, the reasonable price for a window or veranda cabin. I can see that a penthouse would be so much nicer, but would be taking from the money allowed for our Seabourn cruises! Don't really feel prepared to pay a lot more for a bigger cabin, even with the extra amenities.

Only other question (I hope) is that I believe O is fairly casual in the evening. Is a jacket sometimes required for men; not that this is a problem for us?

Only other question (I hope) is that I believe O is fairly casual in the evening. Is a jacket sometimes required for men; not that this is a problem for us?

No, a jacket is never required.

You might see a few men wearing a sport jacket, especially in one of the specialty restaurants, at the Captains Reception (I've noticed this seems to be the dressiest affair) or La Reserve but it is certainly not required and most men do not wear a jacket but it is certainly acceptable if you would like to wear one

Edited by YoHoHo

No, a jacket is never required.

You might see a few men wearing a sport jacket, especially in one of the specialty restaurants, at the Captains Reception (I've noticed this seems to be the dressiest affair) or La Reserve but it is certainly not required and most men do not wear a jacket but it is certainly acceptable if you would like to wear one

This was exactly our experience on Riviera in March. I never wore a jacket in the MDR, but did choose to do so in the specialty restaurants and in La Reserve. My observation in the specialties was that maybe 40% of the men had jackets, and probably a slight majority of the men did at La Reserve. No problem either way.